Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weird Walk On Story

+11
Bighitter11
net
crusader
lefty120
newcom
Teetime
wolverine55
center
ging
19delta
Head Idiot
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Weird Walk On Story Empty Weird Walk On Story

Post by Head Idiot Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:42 am

I know we discussed this kid last year on here, but this is one of the oddest stories I've seen recently-
http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/2018-08-03/gcms-product-mcnutt-departs-illinois-football.html
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Weird Walk On Story Empty Re: Weird Walk On Story

Post by 19delta Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:01 am

Yes. That is really strange.

He didn't like the food choices? As a walk-on, does he have access to the athlete's dining facilities? Also sounds like he wasn't happy with the S&C program.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

I agree that it's a strange reason to quit the program.  wonder what else made him change his mind.

possibly realted - in the last 4-5 weeks, i have noticed a handful of "local" athletes changing their mind after committing to a program WHERE THERE WAS NO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP INVOLVED.  these are kids who had "signed" with a D3 program who suddenly changed their mind and switched to a JUCO instead.  interesting that these transfers happened around the typical time when the first payment is due at the D3 school they originally chose.

a couple years ago, I was talking with the mother of a local boy who had "signed" to play D3 football.  (this was also in early august). she told me she got a bill from the school and was shocked at how much more they owed than what she expected (or had been led to believe).  I was shocked that she didn't know what the price tag would be.

In the U of I case, I wonder if sticker shock had anything to do with the kid's decision.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:59 am

That is a strange story.

I think Ging’s post has some valid points about this type of situation.

I’m guessing Illinois wanted him lighter and faster and some of his weights went down.  

His quotes in the article do not make him look good as a prospect. I get an “I know more than the coaches do” vibe off of it.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:12 pm

ging wrote:I agree that it's a strange reason to quit the program.  wonder what else made him change his mind.

possibly realted - in the last 4-5 weeks, i have noticed a handful of "local" athletes changing their mind after committing to a program WHERE THERE WAS NO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP INVOLVED.  these are kids who had "signed" with a D3 program who suddenly changed their mind and switched to a JUCO instead.  interesting that these transfers happened around the typical time when the first payment is due at the D3 school they originally chose.

a couple years ago, I was talking with the mother of a local boy who had "signed" to play D3 football.  (this was also in early august). she told me she got a bill from the school and was shocked at how much more they owed than what she expected (or had been led to believe).  I was shocked that she didn't know what the price tag would be.

In the U of I case, I wonder if sticker shock had anything to do with the kid's decision.

I will admit that I hadn’t thought of the timing of payments before. That plus the realization of the workload hits home with kids. Based on my experiences talking with kids, some seem under the impression that non-scholarship means less time commitment than at bigger schools and most of the time that’s not the case.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Not implying that’s the case with McNutt. I’m sure he was aware of what he was in for at a D1 school. I just know that some D3 kids/commits are a bit overwhelmed by the fact that while it’s D3, it’s also still college football.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:07 pm

I didn't understand him going to U of I in the first place.

If he wanted to play football, he could have gone to a D3 school and probably played as a freshman. And most D3 schools would have found money to get a kid like him in their program. I'm assuming he didn't get any money to go to U of I. What does U of I cost a year? $30,000? That's an awful lot of money just to say that you are a D1 football player.

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:50 pm

I kind of wondered if a possible scholarship was dangled at some point and he decided to take a shot. They saw what the kid was, didn't decide he needed one and moved on. He sees people leaving and opening up spots and realized it wasn't happening so this was a way for hI'm to spin it in his favor for anyone potentially still interested in giving him money.

Just a possible scenario I thought of.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:10 pm

19delta wrote:I didn't understand him going to U of I in the first place.

If he wanted to play football, he could have gone to a D3 school and probably played as a freshman. And most D3 schools would have found money to get a kid like him in their program. I'm assuming he didn't get any money to go to U of I. What does U of I cost a year? $30,000? That's an awful lot of money just to say that you are a D1 football player.

I would say you get a lot more than just being able to say you are a D1 player. You also get a top notch education if you take advantage of the opportunity.

It’s a very good school.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Teetime wrote:
19delta wrote:I didn't understand him going to U of I in the first place.

I would say you get a lot more than just being able to say you are a D1 player. You also get a top notch education if you take advantage of the opportunity.

It’s a very good school.

But that was clearly NOT a factor, unless McNutt is he still a student there.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 am

McNutt has recently posted a couple lifting videos on Twitter. Does anyone know what he is doing for school this fall? Is he going to try and play college football somewhere?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:31 pm

19delta wrote:McNutt has recently posted a couple lifting videos on Twitter. Does anyone know what he is doing for school this fall? Is he going to try and play college football somewhere?
I tried to find the magic of Google and Twitter last week to find out these exact questions. There were no answers.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
19delta wrote:McNutt has recently posted a couple lifting videos on Twitter. Does anyone know what he is doing for school this fall? Is he going to try and play college football somewhere?
I tried to find the magic of Google and Twitter last week to find out these exact questions.  There were no answers.

I could be wrong, and probably am, but the lifting videos look to be in the same place as his older videos. I'm assuming that is the GCMS weight room. If so, he must be home.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:18 am

19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
I tried to find the magic of Google and Twitter last week to find out these exact questions.  There were no answers.

I could be wrong, and probably am, but the lifting videos look to be in the same place as his older videos. I'm assuming that is the GCMS weight room. If so, he must be home.
I forgot to post this earlier- I think that's the trainer/gym/whatever their kids lift at.  If it's the same place as some of his other videos, that's not their HS weight room unless they relocated from when I was in it in 2015.  Their weight room is/was a low ceilinged room at the end of their press box- EDIT- not press box, their concession stand.  I think the hospital in GC was trying to offer/push a sports enhancement/lifting service a couple years ago.  I think the people responsible for it were some of the biggest pushers of McNutt to UofI.  Probably because they could then claim to have trained a D1 athlete.

https://www.gibsonhospital.org/sports-medicine-services/8-elite-performance/
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:04 am

Does posting lifting videos help in the recruiting process?
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:05 am

This whole college sports thing is exhausting. Between kids putting on social media anytime they make a visit or get an offer, to kids leaving schools and transferring. It's to much for me. My favorite, which I know has been discussed on this board in the past, is the kid who puts out there that they've 'received an offer' from a D3 school. What the hell does that even mean? The coach told the kid he wants them to play for that school? Or you qualified for a scholarship or a grant? Give me a break...just go get an education and play sports a little longer.

As for the McNutt kid, whom I don't know at all, I think he got into it, realized it was way more work than he thought it would be, he wasn't the man anymore, and he was going to have to be a role player / scout team player for a couple of years to earn a right to play and he didn't want to do that. I have a hard time buying the whole nutrition thing. And I agree this has a whole 'I know more than they do' smell to it, which I wouldn't want to have if I were trying to find another football home.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:53 pm

lefty120 wrote: the kid who puts out there that they've 'received an offer' from a D3 school.  What the hell does that even mean?

i, too, have wondered this same thing.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 pm

I'm sure every school does it differently, but I've always wanted to see what's on the paper the D3 commits are signing during their ceremony or whatever production the high school puts on for it.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:24 pm

ging wrote:
lefty120 wrote: the kid who puts out there that they've 'received an offer' from a D3 school.  What the hell does that even mean?

i, too, have wondered this same thing.  

wolverine55 wrote:I'm sure every school does it differently, but I've always wanted to see what's on the paper the D3 commits are signing during their ceremony or whatever production the high school puts on for it.
1. I have heard that they can only offer them the chance to try out for the team. That's the "offer". Granted anyone who goes to pretty much any D3 school is able to do so.

2. I have heard that it's a blank piece of paper.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:33 pm

I was a below average Division 3 QB and pitcher. The FB team I played for won 4 games the 3 years I started and a majority of the reason was poor quarterback play...we / I were awful. But we loved every second of it and needed no notoriety in any capacity for anything we did. Crazy how social media has made it so hard to get kids to focus on just loving the game and enjoying the time they have to play it.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:40 pm

wolverine55 wrote:I'm sure every school does it differently, but I've always wanted to see what's on the paper the D3 commits are signing during their ceremony or whatever production the high school puts on for it.

there is an actual official ceremonial signing document that the ncaa has for schools to use if they so choose.  it's beyond ridiculous.

Division III Celebratory Signing Form

Proposal 2015-8 was adopted by the Division III membership at the 2015 NCAA Convention.  With the adoption of this proposal, Division III institutions are permitted to use a standard, NCAA provided, non-binding celebratory signing form.  A prospective student-athlete is permitted to sign the celebratory signing form at any point, including high school signing events, after the prospective student-athlete has been accepted to the institution.  Institutions should keep in mind, however, that they are not permitted to publicize a prospective student-athlete’s commitment to the institution until the prospective student-athlete has submitted a financial deposit (Bylaw 13.10.7).

To access the Division III celebratory signing form, Division III coaches and administrators can use the “My Apps” link on ncaa.org to navigate to LSDBi.  Log in to LSDBi by clicking the “login” tab at the top of the screen and entering your single source sign on information.  Once logged in, select the “resources” tab.  Once on the “resources” tab, the celebratory signing form can be found under the “compliance” heading.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Dear Lord ... just give the kid some cookies and a Capri Sun after school to celebrate such an amazing accomplishment.
crusader
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:16 pm

crusader wrote:Dear Lord ... just give the kid some cookies and a Capri Sun after school to celebrate such an amazing accomplishment.

That is great.

+1
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:13 am

crusader wrote:Dear Lord ... just give the kid some cookies and a Capri Sun after school to celebrate such an amazing accomplishment.
That probably wouldn't fit his personal fitness plan.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by net Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 am

capri sun sux. have you tried that crap?
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next