Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foles or Trubisky?

+16
niewi 24
Ghengis Khan
tm
general maximus
dusty7
ramblinman
19delta
net
lefty120
OldTitan
Bighitter11
newcom
wolverine55
Teetime
Head Idiot
OSUBucks
20 posters

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

Foles or Trubisky? Empty Foles or Trubisky?

Post by OSUBucks Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Who will be the Bears starting QB by the time we get to the end of the 2020 season (if we have a season)? Using high draft picks for QB's are the picks that can make or break the fortunes of a team for years. After a decent rookie year last year was a regression for Trubisky who was erratic all year. The biggest excuse you can make for him is the fact that the run game was really poor last year. The Bears passed up Mahomes with all the obvious arm talent he displayed in college as well as Watson, who carried Clemson to a NC to take Trubisky and right now it's looking like a decision that could ultimately cost Pace his job.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Foles or Trubisky? Empty Re: Foles or Trubisky?

Post by Head Idiot Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Trubisky's biggest issue is the guy on the other end of the speaker in his helmet.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:26 pm

That, plus he can’t throw the ball where he intends to tHow the ball.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 am

Teetime wrote:That, plus he can’t throw the ball where he intends to tHow the ball.
He could the year before. Nagy seemed to go out of his way at times to call plays to make Trubisky look bad like he wanted to prove a point.

Remember that winning streak they went on when the moved Trubisky around the pocket, he ran the ball, they ran the ball and they won a bunch of games. They completely abandoned those concepts at the end of the year. They went back to the, don't ever run, straight drop back and let everyone tee off.

Your average Nagy offensive series has about three variations

Variation 1-
Play 1- bubble screen that loses 2 yards (because that's the same as a running play- DUH)
Play 2- incredibly hard throw that maybe 5 guys can complete
Play 3- either try to get Robinson to bail you out, or deep patterns with a straight drop that gets Trubisky murdered.
Play 4- punt and glare at Trubisky

Variation 2
Play 1- run with Montgomery. Gain 7 yards
Play 2- slant to Robinson. First down
Play 3- run with Montgomery. Gain 7 yards (Montgomery won't touch the ball for 16 mins of game time after this carry).
Play 4- double WR reverse pass or wildcat- lose 7 yards
Play 5- bubble screen. Gain 5 yards.
Play 6- punt

Variation 3
Play 1- use Patterson for something- usually goes well
Play 2- run with Cohen- lose 5 yards. What was his average yes per touch last year? 1yd?
Play 3- something off the wall
Play 4- irrationally go for it on 4th and 4 on your own 35 when you punted on 4th and 6 inches on the 45 going in last series.

The man can't quit being "him". They're sabotaged by a random stupid trick bullcrap and his refusal to admit that sometimes you just need to run the ball and play defense more often than they are by Trubisky. He has to absolutely prove he's the smartest man in the room at all times. Ever seen one of his press conferences?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:13 am

I do think it's important to remember that the Bears weren't the only team that valued the quarterbacks the way they did. Literally half the league had Trubisky rated ahead of Mahomes and Watson. In doing a very quick search, I found one source that did rate the Bears at a D+ for drafting Trubisky, but the Texans only received a C- for Watson and the Chiefs a C for Mahomes. I found one source that even had Deshone Kizer (or whatever his name from Sally N D was) ahead of Mahomes.

That being said, it's amazing how accurate HI's description of the Bears offense is...
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:50 pm

I would pay money to know what opposing defensive coordinators say about the Bears' offense in their private meetings.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:05 pm

The majority of draft analysts questioned the Bears moving up to #2 then taking Trubisky. Hell, if they hadn't moved up he still would have been available for them. It still could work out for the Bears, I hope it does. The Bears are giving Foles a lot of money though, a lot more than you'd give a guy just to hold a clipboard.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:18 pm

OSUBucks wrote:The majority of draft analysts questioned the Bears moving up to #2 then taking Trubisky. Hell, if they hadn't moved up he still would have been available for them. It still could work out for the Bears, I hope it does. The Bears are giving Foles a lot of money though, a lot more than you'd give a guy just to hold a clipboard.
IIRC most questioned the Chiefs drafting Mahomes. Especially having Smith and being successful with him.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm

This is from USA today in 2017
Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)
Grade: C-
Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

They also ripped the Trubisky pick.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Head Idiot wrote:This is from USA today in 2017
Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)
Grade: C-
Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

They also ripped the Trubisky pick.

Now that's what I call a bad evaluation. You would think that a guy that could get a job working for an NFL team would really be good at what he does. There are more than a few that just must be good at bullshitting their way through interviews because they prove to be out of their element when evaluating talent or coaching players.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:32 pm

Mike Mayock had Trubisky behind Watson, but ahead of Mahomes going into the draft and the ESPN guys had him above both.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 pm

Yeah, the point of my post was not to exonerate the Bears for making the mistake, but to point out there are a lot of people in and/or associated with pro football aren't good at evaluating QBs.

And, I declared the Bears got the steal of the draft whatever year it was they drafted Cade McNown...so I'm apparently not very good at it either... Embarassed
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:47 pm

OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Foles
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:29 pm

newcom wrote:Foles

I'm leaning towards Foles too.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Saw a mock NFL draft meme that had the Bears trading to 20 to pick "Offensive skill position for Matt Nagy to misuse".

I found that hilariously appropriate.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:52 am

Well the Bears now have 10 TE's on their roster. The kid from ND had better be the starter within 2 years.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:07 am

The pick seems solid, albeit I have no idea why they have that many TEs on the roster now. I would guess at least half of them should be asking to be cut right now to land on other teams because obviously Kmet and Jimmy Graham are going to be two of the ones on the final roster. I would think Demetrius Harris is the third. Doesn't leave much room for the other guys.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Maybe they'll move one of them to OL where they have gaping holes?

For the like 10th consecutive season.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Sun May 03, 2020 10:38 am

OSUBucks wrote:The majority of draft analysts questioned the Bears moving up to #2 then taking Trubisky. Hell, if they hadn't moved up he still would have been available for them. It still could work out for the Bears, I hope it does. The Bears are giving Foles a lot of money though, a lot more than you'd give a guy just to hold a clipboard.

I think I missed this post the first time around. You are correct. Most were questioning the trade, not necessarily the pick selection.

I was coming on here to post that 2017 is shaping up to be a horrible draft, at least at the top end. Four of the top five picks have now had their fifth year option not picked up by their current teams.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Mon May 04, 2020 4:48 pm

I heard on the radio that of the top five picks in the 2017 draft, four did not have their fifth year option picked up and the fifth one was still up in the air.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 Tue May 05, 2020 9:15 am

Give me Trubisky. Foles cant stay healthy for a full season. They have both put up pretty similar numbers over their careers. They added Graham and Kmet at Tight End and Signed Ted Ginn who probably wont put up huge numbers but is still fast enough to draw some attentions from the safetys. Here are the real keys.

1) The Offensive Line has to be better otherwise it doesnt matter who is behind center
2) Nagy has to call a much better game, commit to the run and open up the play action game
3) Mitch needs preseason game reps quit trying to your offense
4) Mitch needs to step up his game as well
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 Wed May 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Colin Cowherd just said half of the first round picks from 2017 haven't had their fifth year options picked up by the teams that drafted them. That sounds awful, but I'll admit I haven't done any research on how that compares to other drafts or when the current contract system for first round picks started even.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed May 06, 2020 3:39 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Colin Cowherd just said half of the first round picks from 2017 haven't had their fifth year options picked up by the teams that drafted them.  That sounds awful, but I'll admit I haven't done any research on how that compares to other drafts or when the current contract system for first round picks started even.
Most things coming out of Colin Cowherd's mouth sound pretty awful.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:06 pm

New Bear Teddy Ginn weighs in on who he thinks will win the starting QB job. I don't know how much speed Ginn has left but he was one of the fastest Buckeyes I've ever seen play. I believe he put up a 4.28 forty as an NFL rookie.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears-qb-drama-ted-ginn-makes-bold-prediction-about-who-will-win-the-starting-quarterback-job-in/
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next