Force/Leverage/Pursuit

Go down

Force/Leverage/Pursuit Empty Force/Leverage/Pursuit

Post by Ghengis Khan on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:40 pm

How do you guys go about coaching your players about force, leverage and pursuit?

Are certain guys always force or always pursuit players? If not, how do you teach them when to take which action?

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Force/Leverage/Pursuit Empty Re: Force/Leverage/Pursuit

Post by center on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Terms may vary but we try to get a force player, alley player, and fill or cutback player on every run. Especially off tackle and outside run.

Depending on the defense you run it is nice to have the same player doing the same job every time. And then trying to make is consistent with option responsibilities.

Force player is to turn it inside. Fill or cutback player cuts it off from the inside. Alley player fills in from the top so you triangle or cup the ball.

OLB might be the force, ILB might be the fill, safety might be the alley.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Also one teaching thing that has helped is telling players which shoulder they should be attacking with. We end up saying "you are a right shoulder or left shoulder player" a lot.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:57 pm

If you get a chance, try to look up the Chuck Martin force/back hip stuff. I unknowingly had kind of taught it before I heard him speak on it, but after hearing him speak I changed some stuff/started more formally teaching some things and had outstanding results. If you can find a talk of his about this topic, be sure to pay attention to his thoughts on pursuit drill. Both extremely true and hilarious at the same time. Vintage Chuck.

For us in our 4/4, 4-2-5 type looks the CB and OLB were our major force players. Their sole goal was turn stuff back in. I specifically made it a point to praise those guys for turning stuff in, even if they had nothing to do with the eventual tackle. To the point I'd give them a helmet sticker out of my desk while we were watching film. Other guys had to wait for Thursday for theirs. It always helps to highlight the great job they do if they turn it in and a pursuit guy absolutely levels the ball carrier after they cut back into their pursuit. Safety was always an alley runner. I taught him to aim for the edge of the box once he read run and adjust his path based on the ball carrier.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum