sycamore at boylan

Go down

sycamore at boylan Empty sycamore at boylan

Post by ging on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:36 pm

just an unfathomable loss for sycamore, given the way they dominated the game.  boylan trailed 16-7 entering the 4th quarter.  they ran 0 offensive plays in the 4th quarter.  they won.

from the Rockford Register Star:

https://www.rrstar.com/sports/20191116/boylan-claims-crazy-quarterfinal-win-over-sycamore

ROCKFORD — Boylan had a season-low five first downs and 99 total yards of offense. They surrendered 355 yards to Sycamore, which was in control throughout much of Saturday’s Class 5A state quarterfinal game.

But a pair of second-half fumble recoveries returned for long touchdowns by Xavier Bryant saved Boylan on a sloppy field at Titan Stadium.

Boylan (11-1) used the defensive scores, two late-game defensive stands and a blocked 23-yard field-goal attempt as time expired to escape with a 19-16 victory over the Spartans. Boylan now advances to its ninth state semifinal, and its first since 2013.

“Oh my gosh, that game was crazy,” Boylan head coach John Cacciatore said. “We just didn’t want this to be the last game, right here. We had to hold on tight, and now we’re getting ready for next week.”

The Titans, who lost to Sterling on a last-second field goal in last year’s 5A quarterfinals, were determined not to go to overtime against Sycamore (10-2).

“It hit me in the face, actually. Straight in the face,” said Nikos Xydakis, the 6-foot-5, 205-pounder who blocked the kick with his helmet. “It was really fast. It was like, ‘kick,’ it hit me in the face, and we won the game. ... It felt surreal, honestly. It’s a dream come true, and it’s probably the happiest I’ve ever been.”

Now Boylan will take on St. Rita — 38-12 winner over Hillcrest — in next Saturday’s 5A semifinals. The Titans will be on the road.

But there was plenty of drama in their final home game of this season.

Trailing 16-7, Boylan opened the third quarter with three straight 3-and-outs on offense. So the Titans leaned on their defense.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Sycamore’s Kyle Antos was trying to scratch out a first down deep in Titans’ territory, but fumbled.

“When I saw that ball come out, I knew I was going to pick it up and score. No one was going to catch me,” said Bryant, who scooped up the ball and sprinted 93 yards to cut the Spartans’ lead to 16-13.

And he had one more in him.

With two minutes left in the game, he grabbed another fumble and ran 67 yards for a score.

“The second time, that was just for a couple of giggles, you know?” he said, smiling.

They weren’t giggling until the end, however.

Sycamore rushed for 282 yards in the game, with four players going for 59 yards or more. Boylan’s leading rusher was Dayvion Foreman, who had 21 yards on two carries, including a 22-yard touchdown run in the first quarter.

Trailing 19-16, the Spartans marched down the field in the final two minutes of the game, going 66 yards on six plays to set up the tying field-goal try from the 6-yard line. But Xydakis got in the way.

“This group of seniors, when we lost to Sterling last year, we really remembered that feeling. That was the start of this season,” Cacciatore said. “The moment that kick went through the uprights to end the Sterling game, that’s when these guys decided, we have to carry this one, and learn from it. They just stayed with it.

“And now here we are, back in the semis.”

Jay Taft: 815-987-1384; jtaft@rrstar.com; @JayTaft
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

sycamore at boylan Empty Re: sycamore at boylan

Post by Teetime on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Wow! That is amazing.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:38 pm

ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Crazy game. Sycamore really dominated the game.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:06 pm

That may be the oddest comeback I've ever read or about.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 am

Reminds me of 2004 Driscoll @ Wilmington. Driscoll won and had about 70 yards of total offense.
Doctor D
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by illinipete on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:06 am

it was horrible to watch from a syco point of view. hope Rita running clocks em!
illinipete
illinipete
I Pete my Pants

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum