Districts Proposal

Go down

Districts Proposal Empty Districts Proposal

Post by wolverine55 on Mon May 20, 2019 10:29 am

You guys have probably seen this elsewhere by now, but any reaction to the "rough draft" of districts?  Did seeing this change any opinions for better or worse?

https://edgytim.rivals.com/news/ihsa-proposed-districts
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Districts Proposal Empty Re: Districts Proposal

Post by Huck on Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 am

For my team, the proposed district is no big deal.  The teams' collective records last year were comparable to our conference this year.  We have a runner-up, a quarter finalist, and 3 qualifiers as opposed to a state champ, and 3 qualifiers (not counting ourselves w/ either).  Seems to be a little more parity. Travel (if we had 9 road games) only goes up by 43 miles.

Personally, the new district is terrible for one reason, but it is a big one.  We got put into a northern district, and I already live 45 minutes south of where I coach.  This would make most road games too far for my family to get to with their school and work.  Had my team had this schedule when I started, I wouldn't have applied for the job.

We voted in favor of districts.  I still think they are a good idea, but ironically, it may force me to decide if I want to continue coaching where I am if it forces me to have even less contact with my family than I already have during the season.

I also have seen quite a few districts that have some really long trips.  Danville to East St. Louis is 3 hours plus.  East St.'s closest road game is 1:20 away.  Normal Community's closest is 55 minutes to Pekin, but after that, its 2:12, 2:27, 2:29, 2:30, 2:35, and 2:49.

If it does indeed come up for another vote, I think it goes down.
Huck
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon May 20, 2019 11:52 am

Sullivan's district is hilariously insane.

Braidwood (Reed-Custer)
Champaign (St. Thomas More)
Dwight
Herscher
Monticello
Paxton (P.-Buckley-Loda)
St. Joseph (S.J.-Ogden)
Sullivan
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon May 20, 2019 11:55 am

My initial reaction was that, if anything, seeing this only further divided the small school/big school feelings on this. At a glance as I didn't look into every team and I'm not sure I looked at 4A at all, it seemed most small schools would be okay with it while some large schools have some monster drives, as has been illustrated.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 am

Head Idiot wrote:Sullivan's district is hilariously insane.

Braidwood (Reed-Custer)
Champaign (St. Thomas More)
Dwight
Herscher
Monticello
Paxton (P.-Buckley-Loda)
St. Joseph (S.J.-Ogden)
Sullivan
The only trip in here shorter than an hour for Sullivan is Monticello. STM is at right about an hour, SJO is about 1 and 15. Reed Custer, Dwight, Herscher are all over 2 1/2. PBL is probably 1 1/2- 1 3/4.

Knowing Sullivan, they'll drop football before they sign up for this. At the least, they'll drop their coop.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Somebody posted on Edgy's board that the IHSA released this to get schools upset to propose a re-vote after what the districts look like.  I think this thought holds some water.  

The IHSA thought the process would be easy and now figured out how difficult it could be and decided they don't want to put in the work to draw up districts.  Makes some sense to me.  However this rough draft does not include the mulitplier along with having all CPS schools included which the outcome would be drastically different once those schools are not included.

dusty7
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm

With this proposal, our district would be uninspiring. At best. Not that our conference schedule is daunting, but this district would be worse. If it goes through, we'd have to really schedule some tough non-district games.
SIFBCoach7
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Tue May 21, 2019 5:30 pm

I don’t think we will make it to districts in Illinois. I think it will get changed before it is implemented.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:With this proposal, our district would be uninspiring.  At best.  Not that our conference schedule is daunting, but this district would be worse.  If it goes through, we'd have to really schedule some tough non-district games.
You'd lose maybe 2 district games in one year if all those teams had like their once a decade/20 years best team. A&M, CGB and Arcola are the only teams even possible of doing that. Most of them, in an average year, will struggle to be within 60pts of you.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Big E on Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 am

I really like this District...Chicago Kenwood, Chicago Little Village, Chicago Perspective Leadership, Chicago Phoenix, Chicago Solorio, Chicago St. Ignatius, Chicago Westinghouse, Riverside Brookfield, and Nazareth!!! 8 teams combined that could not beat Naz
Big E
Big E
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 22, 2019 9:15 am

IMO Clinton becomes a top 10 worst job in the state with these districts. You may never win more than 3 games in a year ever again.

Central Catholic
Clinton
Effingham
Hoopeston (they won't be this big after dropping Schlarman- and they'll probably go 8 man anyway)
UHigh
Paris
Rantoul
Tolono.

I mean, 3 wins would be a great year. They struggle to get 5 in a 1/2A conference now.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed May 22, 2019 9:24 am

Head Idiot wrote:IMO Clinton becomes a top 10 worst job in the state with these districts.  You may never win more than 3 games in a year ever again.

Central Catholic
Clinton
Effingham
Hoopeston (they won't be this big after dropping Schlarman- and they'll probably go 8 man anyway)
UHigh
Paris
Rantoul
Tolono.

I mean, 3 wins would be a great year.  They struggle to get 5 in a 1/2A conference now.

No worries Central Catholic is line to get the Waiver and be in 2A. Also a huge fan of Bishop Mac winning 3 playoff games the next 2 years so I dont see them in our district.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 am

Bighitter11 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:IMO Clinton becomes a top 10 worst job in the state with these districts.  You may never win more than 3 games in a year ever again.

Central Catholic
Clinton
Effingham
UHigh
Paris
Rantoul
Tolono.

I mean, 3 wins would be a great year.  They struggle to get 5 in a 1/2A conference now.

No worries Central Catholic is line to get the Waiver and be in 2A.  Also a huge fan of Bishop Mac winning 3 playoff games the next 2 years so I dont see them in our district.
So, you replace CC and Hoopeston with Rochester and Taylorville perhaps? That's not making it better. Very Happy
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Wed May 22, 2019 9:44 am

I've made no secret my disdain for districts. The districts the IHSA put out are not obviously going to be what it would look like in 2021, but they're probably not far off for many schools. How in the world can over 50% of our football playing schools be happy with the way this looks? Some are good, yes, I'll give you that. Some solve problems for some schools, I'll also give you that. However, well over a majority of these districts are a complete joke when it comes to travel and competitive balance. I will stand by my prior argument that districts benefit 15% or less of the football playing schools in our state.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Wed May 22, 2019 7:41 pm

I agree with those who think that this won’t stand in its present form. Four of the schools in SHG’s District are Peoria teams or Peoria area (Morton, Metamora). They also have Jerseyville.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down