Presidential Half Marathon

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Presidential Half Marathon Empty Presidential Half Marathon

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:49 am

Saturday my wife ran the Presidential half in Springfield.  She ended up PRing with a 2:00:17 time.  Really good for her and she was really happy.  This post isn't about that.  It's about what happened about 10 mins before she crossed.  

At about 1:45 in race time a guy crossed the finish line.  I didn't really notice anything about it because me and my kids were set up right at the finish line to greet my wife as she finished.  About 15 feet beyond the finish line he laid down and started pouring water on himself.  After he did one bottle, he sat straight up, yelled something and laid back down.  I thought that was a little dramatic, but hey, whatever.  Paramedics surrounded him, and I stopped paying too much attention.  

A few minutes later I looked back to my left to see how he was doing.  Paramedics around him didn't seem too worried, they had his legs up and one of those thermal blanket things on him.  I figured it was shock or something, but not serious.  About that time one paramedic ran away from him to about 10 feet past him further down the way.  I leaned forward to see a paramedic giving another guy chest compressions.  At that point I went down there to see what was going on.  This guy is flat on his back, shirt cut open, a huge bleeding gash on his right eyebrow and they're feverishly giving him CPR.  Oddly enough, people are still finishing the race and barely walking around the guy.  At this point, they get out the shocker machine (the name escapes me right now) and attach it to his chest.  His breathing seems irregular so, I thought maybe he had some heart beat issues and they were hoping to shock it back to normal.  They yell clear and shock the guy.  His breathing evens out and the paramedics start talking about transport.

It's at this time he stopped breathing.  The guy died.  People are talking over the gates to runners just finishing, the runners are raising their hands in victory, there's 90s hip hop blaring as the party is just getting going.  People are laughing over the railing to loved ones as this guy is laying there dead on the ground literally 2 feet away from them. Others that have seen what is happening are from weeping to flat bawling.  Me, I was kind of in shock.  Some people were disgustingly taking pictures.  It was the most surreal thing I've ever seen.  They begin chest compressions again and my kids call out for me.  I go talk to them real quick and go back to see the guy breathing on his own and they're putting him on a back board to put in the ambulance that just arrived.

They took him away and I haven't heard anything about him since.  My kids were really rattled by the whole thing.  My wife finished about the time they put him in the ambulance and my kids and myself mobbed her and repeatedly asked her if she was alright.  As I watched this thing play out, the only thing I wanted in the world was for her to get across that line and be fine.  She had no idea what was wrong with us and really couldn't comprehend what we were so concerned about.

Anyway, sorry for this weird post, but I wanted to get this off my chest and had been waiting for a keyboard to make this easier.  If, for some reason, any of you know what happened to the guy, an update would be great.  If not, go home and tell the people closest to you that you love them tonight.  It was a real reality check that this guy who was ultra fit, just probably out for normal run almost didn't make it home.  He also didn't seem to have anyone else there with him.  The whole thing was just bad news.  The end.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Presidential Half Marathon Empty Re: Presidential Half Marathon

Post by ging on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:25 pm

holy shit Shocked

so when you say he died, you mean he MAY have "died" but was brought back? and then you don't know what happened afterwards?
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:13 pm

He stopped breathing and laid there motionless for a good while. It may have been less time that it seemed like.  They did revive him, and I assume that with no news otherwise, he was eventually OK.  

It was just so weird to see all these people going about life like nothing was happening while a guy lay dead about a yard away from them.  It was a really striking dichotomy of life.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Head Idiot wrote: If, for some reason, any of you know what happened to the guy, an update would be great.  

You want an update on what happened to the guy after he died?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Head Idiot wrote:He stopped breathing and laid there motionless for a good while.  It may have been less time that it seemed like.  They did revive him, and I assume that with no news otherwise, he was eventually OK.

So now the guy didn't die?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Did you read it?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
It's at this time he stopped breathing.  The guy died.   The end.

I read this.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Head Idiot wrote: They did revive him, and I assume that with no news otherwise, he was eventually OK.

Then I read this

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:21 pm

He died. They revived him. I don't know what is confusing you. People die and revived frequently.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:23 pm

I don't think that guy died. I think if a man is alive, he did not die.

Words mean things.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Teetime wrote:I don't think that guy died. I think if a man is alive, he did not die.

Words mean things.
If you are not breathing and don't have a pulse, are you not dead?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 am

That is correct. You are not dead.

Death is a permanent medical condition.

You took that guy’s pulse before you pronounced him dead?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:11 am

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:10 pm

A good family friend's father literally had no pulse as he was being taken out of his house to the ambulance and was still berating the paramedics saying "God Damn it I'm all right put me down" True Story! Shocked
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:36 pm

newcom wrote:A good family friend's father literally had no pulse as he was being taken out of his house to the ambulance and was still berating the paramedics saying "God Damn it I'm all right put me down"  True Story! Shocked
Presidential Half Marathon Gxdtz110
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Ran the Dam to DSM 20K yesterday and a 26 year old male collapsed just before the finish and later died. Just surreal that it happened in an event I participated in. Feel horrible for all involved and his family.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:43 am

wolverine55 wrote:Ran the Dam to DSM 20K yesterday and a 26 year old male collapsed just before the finish and later died. Just surreal that it happened in an event I participated in. Feel horrible for all involved and his family.
That's why I'm quitting running.

Seriously though, that's terrifying. Me and my wife ran 6 Saturday and for some reason it was really hard. We both said running anything more was out of the question. It was a bad day to run, let alone that long. 26 is a odd age too.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm becoming an Iowan...maybe should have stated that DSM is Des Moines! Weather was beautiful, which to me makes it even more odd it happened. I've done two half-marathons and two 20Ks now, only a slight difference between the two distances. Can't imagine myself doing more than those and I really don't know how many more of those I have in me.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

I ran two marathons in one day:

My FIRST
and my LAST!

Seriously, did Milwaukee Marathon in 2007 when I was 48. One and done....

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 pm

I've kinda soft committed to running a half next spring at Champaign with my wife. It's the only one I'd consider doing. Flat, usually pretty cool, maybe even cold. Running even a 10k in over 75 degree weather sounds like a nightmare to me.

I feel like I'll be a one and done too.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Think of the sex that night with Mrs. Idiot after keeping THAT promise.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Teetime wrote:Think of the sex that night with Mrs. Idiot after keeping THAT promise.

I'm wagering there probably won't be any of that after I run 13 miles.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:Ran the Dam to DSM 20K yesterday and a 26 year old male collapsed just before the finish and later died. Just surreal that it happened in an event I participated in. Feel horrible for all involved and his family.

Seriously though, that's terrifying. Me and my wife ran 6 Saturday and for some reason it was really hard. We both said running anything more was out of the question. It was a bad day to run, let alone that long. 26 is a odd age too.

When I was younger, (first teaching/coaching job), I ran three marathons. and numerous road races. I have always liked running and continued to run distance until I was 60. At 60, it seemed more of a chore plus I was experiencing pain that never seemed to go away. My doctor advised me to run short distances 30m-150m) with more intensity. So I did short speed and tempo workouts along with body weight circuits. at either SHS's track or football field or SHG's track. Warming up was the toughest part of the workout. Once I got to running and for the next 1-2 hours I felt great. Then the pain came back and I gimped around the rest of the day. This lead to a doctor's appointment where I found out my right hip was shot which resulted with hip replacement surgery last Thursday.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 pm

Pike Bishop wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

When I was younger, (first teaching/coaching job), I ran three marathons. and numerous road races. I have always liked running and continued to run distance until I was 60. At 60, it seemed more of a chore plus I was experiencing pain that never seemed to go away. My doctor advised me to run short distances 30m-150m) with more intensity. So I did short speed and tempo workouts along with body weight circuits. at either SHS's track or football field or SHG's track. Warming up was the toughest part of the workout. Once I got to running and for the next 1-2 hours I felt great. Then the pain came back and I gimped around the rest of the day. This lead to a doctor's appointment where I found out my right hip was shot which resulted with hip replacement surgery last Thursday.

That's Crazy Coach. Glad to hear you are already on the mend. Get well soon.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:11 pm

general maximus wrote:
Pike Bishop wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

That's Crazy Coach.  Glad to hear you are already on the mend.  Get well soon.  

thanks

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next