Free College

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Free College - Page 2 Empty Re: Free College

Post by dusty7 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I have no issue with kids stupidly going to college to get a piece of paper that 66%ish of them will never use.  Not my problem.

When you start saying it's my responsibility to pay for it, then it becomes my problem.

College isn't for everybody and by making it FREE more people will enter college. The current system is already creating a massive amount of underemployment (per article posted above) and free college would create even more.

Not everybody get jobs in their degree and many people go into something simply for the 'potential' earning power. For many students the focus is on simply making money without the realization of how competitive the job market is and the fact you are doing the work for 25+ years. I always tell my students choose something you enjoy doing and have a good chance at getting the job and you are more likely to actually use your degree. Happiness and sanity is more important than money, at least that is my philosophy in life.

I'm with HI, I have a big problem with having to pay for people to be overqualified to be a barista at Starbuck or a waiter/waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings.
dusty7
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 pm

dusty7 wrote:Happiness and sanity is more important than money, at least that is my philosophy in life.    

excellent advice!
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:14 pm

dusty7 wrote: Happiness and sanity is more important than money, at least that is my philosophy in life.
I'm working real hard on getting to that. Smile

A common left argument I've heard for making it free is that if everyone was more educated society would be better overall. As a teacher (hopefully former soon) I used to think that was the case. I'm not so sure that is anymore. I mean, our happiness/society/etc has not gotten better or greater since more and more people are going to college. If anything, the amount of debt people are accruing just to get a piece of paper is making people more depressed.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:49 pm

dusty7 wrote:....having to pay for people to be overqualified to be a barista at Starbuck or a waiter/waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings.  

The Left likes to point to Germany when they call for "free college." I worked there (in and out) for 6 years. What they don't tell you is that whether you get "tracked" for college is determined around age 11. If you're not "college material" at age 11, you get slotted into technical or trade school tracks. One of the smartest engineers I worked with over there was slotted to trade school, which basically begins at 16, to be a motorcycle mechanic. Which he loved. When he was 16. But when his true calling of engineering emerged, he had to pay for that himself. In night school.

Even to be a barista or waitress, you go to trade school for three years. To work at the counter of a bakery, trade school three years. Of course, in the hospitality "trade" they require you learn another language different from German or English.

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:10 pm

BirdWatcher wrote:
dusty7 wrote:....having to pay for people to be overqualified to be a barista at Starbuck or a waiter/waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings.  

The Left likes to point to Germany when they call for "free college."    I worked there (in and out) for 6 years.   What they don't tell you is that whether you get "tracked" for college is determined around age 11.  If you're not "college material" at age 11, you get slotted into technical or trade school tracks.   One of the smartest engineers I worked with over there was slotted to trade school, which basically begins at 16, to be a motorcycle mechanic.  Which he loved.  When he was 16.  But when his true calling of engineering emerged, he had to pay for that himself.  In night school.

Even to be a barista or waitress, you go to trade school for three years.   To work at the counter of a bakery, trade school three years.  Of course, in the hospitality "trade" they require you learn another language different from German or English.

So your financial future is determined by a school at age 11? How can you tell a college level kid at age 11? I get that you can change careers later in life at your expense but I think it is total crap to have someone decide what you should do when you grow up. At age 11, there is no way I would've even been tracked for high school. But over time I improved, started to see value in education, and was able to set myself up for success in the future. I didn't need someone telling me what I should do to be successful, I did it myself.

If we allow guidance counselors, the government, parents, etc. tell our kids what they should do after high school, kids will never learn to be self-reliant, which is a major issue with kids today. We need more people to become self-reliant, overcome your mistakes by yourself. If that mistake happens to be going and getting a degree you don't use, being in debt, unhappy with your life, well then, that is on you. Overcome the obstacle and figure it out yourself. It's nobody's fault but your own.

It's like a student I have that got a DUI last year. He is constantly complaining how he is never going to be able to over come the fact he got a DUI, but then it isn't his fault. It's the cops, his parents, the judge, the lawyer, the school, his teachers, the government, it's everybody but himself. Many people overcome DUI's and have success later in life because they overcame the obstacle. This kid is just waiting for someone to fix the problem for him instead of doing anything to improve himself. By someone making a decision for an 11 year old, we will see even more of this happening.
dusty7
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:53 pm

After posting this in my ongoing education thread, I thought maybe this was more appropriate here. Remember, this is what kids are doing in their classes they're paying 25k for right now. Can you imagine what it would look like if it were free?

https://www.pantagraph.com/entertainment/technology/purdue-has-banned-netflix-hulu-and-other-streaming-services-will/article_b5ff977d-61f6-5a64-a63c-7db26855260a.html
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2