Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

College cheating scandal

+7
ging
dusty7
Head Idiot
OSUBucks
net
wolverine55
19delta
11 posters

Go down

College cheating scandal Empty College cheating scandal

Post by 19delta Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:57 am

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

College cheating scandal Empty Re: College cheating scandal

Post by wolverine55 Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 am

What cracks me up is this. Was the ultimate goal to simply get their kids admitted or was it the "pride" of an athletic scholarship? Reason I ask is I know enough about what my brother, who's a junior college basketball coach, tells me to know that admissions offices are shady even when athletics aren't involved. If these millionaires simply made donations to the school, their kids were getting admitted no questions asked.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:47 am

wolverine55 wrote:What cracks me up is this.  Was the ultimate goal to simply get their kids admitted or was it the "pride" of an athletic scholarship?  Reason I ask is I know enough about what my brother, who's a junior college basketball coach, tells me to know that admissions offices are shady even when athletics aren't involved.  If these millionaires simply made donations to the school, their kids were getting admitted no questions asked.

that's what i'm wondering. they spent as much on 'cheating' as they could have just paid for the college themselves.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:28 am

wolverine55 wrote:What cracks me up is this.  Was the ultimate goal to simply get their kids admitted or was it the "pride" of an athletic scholarship?  Reason I ask is I know enough about what my brother, who's a junior college basketball coach, tells me to know that admissions offices are shady even when athletics aren't involved.  If these millionaires simply made donations to the school, their kids were getting admitted no questions asked.

This is true. Schools could always use some extra money and if a guy with deep pockets comes along and offers a big donation to get his kid admitted, even if the kid doesn't meet academic qualifications, schools find it hard to refuse. Shortly before becoming Governor that's how Rauner got his daughter into Walter Payton College Prep.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130424/BLOGS02/130429892/bruce-rauner-clouted-kid-into-payton-high-school-sources-say
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 am

My understanding is that enrolling as an athlete was simply a means to an end. These kids enrolled as athletes because the academic standards were lower than for regular students.

Many, if not most of these kids didn't even play the sports they said they did.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 am

net wrote:

that's what i'm wondering. they spent as much on 'cheating' as they could have just paid for the college themselves.

I think this was a cheaper way than paying for the construction of a new library or something like that.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:17 pm

I'm having a real hard time understanding why this is such a big deal. It's not like these people invented this.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that some schools or boosters pay star athletes...
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I'm having a real hard time understanding why this is such a big deal.  It's not like these people invented this.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that some schools or boosters pay star athletes...

This is my thought process as well. Happens all of the time but I think it is the ACT/SAT cheating that is the bigger issue.

I had a student a few years ago get busted for cheating on the SAT and it ruined her potential athletic career by making her ineligible for a full scholarship to a D1 Softball powerhouse and she had to play for a community college and ended up not finishing the first season.

I wonder if this is something the kids really wanted or if it was all for the parents and thier wants for their parents.

This just shows we have moved on from the helicopter parenting to the lawnmower parenting.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:26 pm

dusty7 wrote:

I wonder if this is something the kids really wanted or if it was all for the parents and thier wants for their parents.  

in many of these cases, the kids were not aware of what their parents were doing.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:24 pm

ging wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

in many of these cases, the kids were not aware of what their parents were doing.
Because, like most things parents "do for their kids" this has nothing to do with the kids and everything to do with mom and dad's ego.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:50 pm

If the seats behind home plate are not available to the greatest fan of that team because some fat-cat bought those seats for 10 times the asking price, isn't that sort of the same thing?

A person with money took that seat at USC that should have been filled by a straight A student who worked their butt off to qualify.

I'm also not shocked.

It's a function of the way we live our lives. Rich people get stuff and we grow used to that reality.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 pm

ging wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

I don't think it was "many".

The articles I read, these kids were posing for sports pictures and blatantly lying in their interviews. More often than not, these kids were willing participants.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Big E Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Thornton Melon did it at Grand Lakes University. No one said a word about it. Was it because he could do the Triple Lindy or was it because he built their business school? Things that make you think!
Big E
Big E
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Big E wrote:Thornton Melon did it at Grand Lakes University.  No one said a word about it.  Was it because he could do the Triple Lindy or was it because he built their business school?  Things that make you think!

"He is on my subsitute rooster. I don't have it with me right now but I will get it to you after the meet." Coach Turnbull

What do expect from Frank Gallagher. He has been scaming people for the last nine years in the south side of Chicago.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:10 pm

Big E wrote:Thornton Melon did it at Grand Lakes University.  No one said a word about it.  Was it because he could do the Triple Lindy or was it because he built their business school?  Things that make you think!

Dean Martin "The point is you have no high school diploma, no transcripts of any kind, no SAT scores, and youre 30-40 years older than our average freshman. How can this university steer clear of accepting you as a student?"

"Dean Martin, great speech, there is nothing like good clean business and a little monkey business."

"It was a awfully big check."

Dean Martin "Fraud is such an ugly word, considering the financial generosity that Mr. Mellon has shown."

"Well, Thornton, Im only going to ask one time. Is the work you have turned in your own?"
"I can't lie to you Dean Martin.......Yes it is."

"Mellon, we need you, get your suit on!" Had to say this one last night when I had to find a replacement for a relay leg last night at IWU.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Don't Forget Johnny B Goode! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Not a Rickroll but should be. cheers
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Pike Bishop wrote:

"He is on my subsitute rooster. I don't have it with me right now but I will get it to you after the meet." Coach Turnbull

What do expect from Frank Gallagher. He has been scaming people for the last nine years in the south side of Chicago.

Just read where William Macy is not involved, only his wife. Felicity Huffman, is. Sorry Frank Gallagher.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down