Robbie Gould

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm

One of the best kickers the Bears ever had. If I read this right he's 82-85 on FG's since leaving the Bears. Boy did the decision not to resign him bite them in the ass tonight. I believe Parkey missed 11 this year alone. I'm not the least bit surprised that this happened. If you watched the Bears this year you knew that if it came down to the kicker winning the game this could happen.


https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/gouldrob01.htm
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Head Idiot on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:49 pm

In hindsight, ya it's a bad decision.

BUT, he's been gone for 3 seasons and been let go by another NFL team too. I wish Bears fans would quit acting like this was a trade off between Parkey and Gould.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Head Idiot wrote:In hindsight, ya it's a bad decision.

BUT, he's been gone for 3 seasons and been let go by another NFL team too. I wish Bears fans would quit acting like this was a trade off between Parkey and Gould.

Parkey isn't even NFL quality. You didn't refute my point, if the Bears had wanted to keep Gould they still could have had him. Hell if the Bears had had practically any other kicker on an NFL roster they'd be flying out to LA next week. Parkey even missed 3 extra points this year. Also the other team that let him go was the Giants. He never missed a FG while he was a Giant so to your point that another team let him go it sure as hell wasn't because of his performance on the field.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Teetime on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:18 pm

It was a very good football game with a lot of fantastic defense until the last five minutes.

I’ll remember that about it and savor a great season.

_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
Teetime
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 6357
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by 19delta on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Head Idiot wrote:In hindsight, ya it's a bad decision.

BUT, he's been gone for 3 seasons and been let go by another NFL team too. I wish Bears fans would quit acting like this was a trade off between Parkey and Gould.

+1

Agreed. And, at the time Gould was cut, he was bad. In fact, I don't recall anyone in the Chicago or national sports media really criticizing the Bears for cutting Gould.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3690
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:49 pm

19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:In hindsight, ya it's a bad decision.

BUT, he's been gone for 3 seasons and been let go by another NFL team too. I wish Bears fans would quit acting like this was a trade off between Parkey and Gould.

+1

Agreed. And, at the time Gould was cut, he was bad. In fact, I don't recall anyone in the Chicago or national sports media really criticizing the Bears for cutting Gould.

I was surprised and I wasn't the only one. Gould was bad when he was cut? From who, he was 33-39 on FG his last year with the Bears, including 7-9 from 50+. Putting that issue aside there are any number of former NFL kickers who were cut from their teams in the last year or so who could have been brought in for a try out. When a kicker is cut from his team that doesn't mean that he isn't pretty good. These guys who are #1 kickers on an NFL team are the best of the best. There are kickers currently without an NFL job that are still good kickers, guys who can make a high percentage from 40 yards. The Bears stuck with Parkey all year and it cost them a trip to LA. I don't know how anyone can defend the decision to keep him, he's been bad all year. To compare Gould when he was cut to Parkey is ludicrous.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:03 am

Teetime wrote:It was a very good football game with a lot of fantastic defense until the last five minutes.

I’ll remember that about it and savor a great season.

It was a successful year and and Bears took a big step forward. Trubisky grew significantly as a QB this year, no doubt about it. I am being 100% straight with you Tee when I say that on multiple occasions during the latter point of the the season the thought crossed my mind that if the Bears got in a close game that came down to the kicker making a kick they were putting themselves in a precarious position. At least with me this wasn't a case of hindsight, I've feared this very thing would happen for weeks.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:03 am

Keeping Parkey was a bad idea.

It has NOTHING to do with Robbie Gould.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 am

OSUBucks wrote:
19delta wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:In hindsight, ya it's a bad decision.

BUT, he's been gone for 3 seasons and been let go by another NFL team too. I wish Bears fans would quit acting like this was a trade off between Parkey and Gould.

+1

Agreed. And, at the time Gould was cut, he was bad. In fact, I don't recall anyone in the Chicago or national sports media really criticizing the Bears for cutting Gould.

I was surprised and I wasn't the only one. Gould was bad when he was cut? From who, he was 33-39 on FG his last year with the Bears, including 7-9 from 50+. Putting that issue aside there are any number of former NFL kickers who were cut from their teams in the last year or so who could have been brought in for a try out. When a kicker is cut from his team that doesn't mean that he isn't pretty good. These guys who are #1 kickers on an NFL team are the best of the best. There are kickers currently without an NFL job that are still good kickers, guys who can make a high percentage from 40 yards. The Bears stuck with Parkey all year and it cost them a trip to LA. I don't know how anyone can defend the decision to keep him, he's been bad all year. To compare Gould when he was cut to Parkey is ludicrous.

They stuck with Parkey all year because they didn't think there was anyone better. Perhaps they realized that cutting Gould was a bad idea and, given how many kickers they have tried since cutting Gould, they were stuck.

Gould had some really bad misses that last year. I don't necessarily blame the Bears for thinking that Gould had lost it. It's often better to cut a guy a year early than a year late.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3690
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:21 am

OSUBucks wrote:
Teetime wrote:It was a very good football game with a lot of fantastic defense until the last five minutes.

I’ll remember that about it and savor a great season.

It was a successful year and and Bears took a big step forward. Trubisky grew significantly as a QB this year, no doubt about it. I am being 100% straight with you Tee when I say that on multiple occasions during the latter point of the the season the thought crossed my mind that if the Bears got in a close game that came down to the kicker making a kick they were putting themselves in a precarious position. At least with me this wasn't a case of hindsight, I've feared this very thing would happen for weeks.

The Bears put themselves in a precarious situation by only scoring 15 points.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3690
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 am

Head Idiot wrote:Keeping Parkey was a bad idea.

It has NOTHING to do with Robbie Gould.

Even if I accept that point, the Bears should still have brought in a more reliable kicker. They stuck with a guy that had trouble written all over him, a guy who regularly during the season gave us clues that he would do the very thing that happened tonight. They lost this game because they stuck with this guy, that was a mistake. If Robbie Gould was kicking for Chicago this year instead of SF they'd be going to LA next week to play the Rams, a team they shut down earlier this year.
On the Bears last punt of the game, which preceded what would be the winning TD drive by the Eagles, it was a 36 yard punt. By NFL standards that's a poor punt and that gave the Eagles pretty favorable field position. After the Eagles scored and took the lead my thoughts were that the Bears really needed a good kickoff return given the time left on the clock and the Bears with only 1 TO left. Cohen did just that and at that point I was fairly optimistic that they'd at least get a FG attempt.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 am

19delta wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:
Teetime wrote:It was a very good football game with a lot of fantastic defense until the last five minutes.

I’ll remember that about it and savor a great season.

It was a successful year and and Bears took a big step forward. Trubisky grew significantly as a QB this year, no doubt about it. I am being 100% straight with you Tee when I say that on multiple occasions during the latter point of the the season the thought crossed my mind that if the Bears got in a close game that came down to the kicker making a kick they were putting themselves in a precarious position. At least with me this wasn't a case of hindsight, I've feared this very thing would happen for weeks.

The Bears put themselves in a precarious situation by only scoring 15 points.

The Bears live off their D too much and it's because of their D that they won their Division this year. I posted on the Bears/Trubisky thread a few weeks ago that because they rely so much on their D that could very well keep them from making the NFC championship game this year. I figured that it would be a low scoring game. I thought schematically the Eagles were well prepared and took away some of the things the Bears like to do.
During the off season whether it be through the draft or free agency they have to try to improve themselves offensively and obviously their kicking game.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:53 am

OSUBucks wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:Keeping Parkey was a bad idea.

It has NOTHING to do with Robbie Gould.

Even if I accept that point, the Bears should still have brought in a more reliable kicker. They stuck with a guy that had trouble written all over him, a guy who regularly during the season gave us clues that he would do the very thing that happened tonight. They lost this game because they stuck with this guy, that was a mistake. If Robbie Gould was kicking for Chicago this year instead of SF they'd be going to LA next week to play the Rams, a team they shut down earlier this year.
On the Bears last punt of the game, which preceded what would be the winning TD drive by the Eagles, it was a 36 yard punt. By NFL standards that's a poor punt and that gave the Eagles pretty favorable field position. After the Eagles scored and took the lead my thoughts were that the Bears really needed a good kickoff return given the time left on the clock and the Bears with only 1 TO left. Cohen did just that and at that point I was fairly optimistic that they'd at least get a FG attempt.

Whom should they have brought in? Who are all of these reliable kickers, just walking around unemployed, that the Bears should have brought in? The Bears have had at least 4 kickers since cutting Gould before the 2016 season, one of whom was a second round draft pick!

Clearly, hindsight shows that they should have seen Gould through the struggles he had in 2015 and maybe tried to find a creative way to structure his salary. But they didn't. And they learned the hard way that replacing a player like Gould is not as easy as it might seem.

They have brought guys in for tryouts since Gould left. It;s not like they were happy with the kicking situation the last few years. The problem is that the guys they brought in were bad and couldn't win the job. And the Bears aren't alone in this regard. There are several teams this year who have struggled with kicking issues. There's just not that many reliable kickers out there.

My point is that the #1 reason that Parkey didn't get replaced is by the benefit of being the tallest midget.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3690
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by ramblinman on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 am

I agree Parkey is a problem that needs to be addressed, but so is 4 FGAs in a playoff game.  That's the NFL average -- 4 FGAs per game.  And, that's the issue.  The Bears have an average offense that needs to do a better job of extending and converting drives into scores.

At 4.1 punt attempts per game, there are 13 teams in the NFL that have a lower punts attempted per game average than the Bears.  The Saints and Rams both attempted an average of 2.7 punts per game.

With the exception of their defense, the Bears have an average (at best) offense and among the worst in the NFL in special teams.  Not a good balance if they want to achieve playoff success.

Happy they are progressing.  This year was light years ahead of last year, and it shows you how bad they really were and how far they have to go to be a true top tier team firing on all cylinders.
ramblinman
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1504
Join date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Parkey's career % of making field goals prior to this year was 83.8. Gould's is 87.7.

When the Bears released him, Gould's was 84.7%.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:11 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Parkey's career % of making field goals prior to this year was 83.8. Gould's is 87.7.

When the Bears released him, Gould's was 84.7%.

Before this year he was decent. I wouldn't compare his career to Gould's though. Gould performed well over a much longer period of time. Things really went South in a hurry for Parkey this year. He was off all year, it just wasn't a couple bad games. He had a FG attempt in OT for the win at Miami back in October that he missed. Had he made that kick the Bears wouldn't have even been playing yesterday, they would have had a bye because they had the tiebreaker in their favor with the Rams. In the final week of the regular season he missed an extra point against Minnesota, banged that one off the upright too.
The Bears had other opportunities though. There was a completed pass down at the Eagles 3 yard line in the second half but the Bear receiver only got one foot down in bounds. He didn't make an attempt to drag the other toe down before going out of bounds. There was also the fiasco with the completed pass right before halftime that was ruled incomplete.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:04 pm

PS- the NFL changed the game ending kick to an official block today.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Head Idiot wrote:PS- the NFL changed the game ending kick to an official block today.

 Malcolm Jenkins said after the game that one of his teammates got a couple fingertips on the ball which which looked legit when I saw a slow motion reply. I guess you could argue that Parkey didn't get enough lift on the ball. Wink
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by dusty7 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:40 am

correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Bears fans happy when Gould was let go?

I a fan of the Bears but not as much as many of you but on other message boards and websites you are seeing the typical responses and blaming the whole game on Parkey.  Most of us coaches know much more goes into the game than 1 play.  Should the FG had been made?  Absolutely but Trubisky also shouldn't of thrown 2 ints.  Why is nobody calling for his head? No idea why I said this, not correct at all.

Just be happy that Bears were better this season than most people thought they would be which I think is partially due to the weak division they play in but a win is a win and you can only play who is on your schedule.  Let's all hope they continue to improve next season.


Last edited by dusty7 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My bad, for some reason thought Trubisky threw 2 picks)
dusty7
dusty7
Bee-otch

Posts : 885
Join date : 2010-06-21
Location : Grundy County

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by OSUBucks on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:27 am

Trubisky is ahead of the curve IMO as to what fans should realistically expect from him at this point in his career. Typically NFL teams want to draft a QB with at least 25-30 starts in college. Trubisky started 13 games at North Carolina. The Bears were criticized for drafting up and taking him so high in the draft in part because he was a guy who needed more development than your typical 1st round QB.
The Bears offense needs to get better most of us agree on that. They depend on their defense too much. Trubisky played pretty well against the Eagles and didn't throw any picks.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/recap/NFL_20190106_PHI@CHI/
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3319
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Teetime on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 pm

What part of the Bears offense is less than adequate?

I thought they had a running game that was above average, a QB that was above average, receivers that were average, an O line that was above average at both pass blocking and run blocking.

Or is the issue that they are not at the top of the league in any of those elements, just above average?

_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
Teetime
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 6357
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:08 pm

Teetime wrote:What part of the Bears offense is less than adequate?

I thought they had a running game that was above average, a QB that was above average, receivers that were average, an O line that was above average at both pass blocking and run blocking.

Or is the issue that they are not at the top of the league in any of those elements, just above average?
They're pretty bad at scoring points consistently. They're 10th in the league overall, but how many of those were defensive scores?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:12 pm

If you take out their 2.6pts/game the defense averaged scoring, their pts/game falls to 16th or 17th.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Teetime on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 am

It doesn’t help to say they don’t score enough points.

What is the improvement they need to make to score more points?

_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
Teetime
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 6357
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 am

Teetime wrote:It doesn’t help to say they don’t score enough points.

What is the improvement they need to make to score more points?
For my money, more Jordan Howard and less cuteness in certain situations. Give Trubisky another reliable option to go with Robinson- who I thought was underused until the end of the year. Just more overall consistency.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Robbie Gould Empty Re: Robbie Gould

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum