The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) - Page 2 Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:46 pm

OSUBucks wrote:I'm guessing that the two players you are referring to Pike are Red Grange and Dick Butkus, two of the best ever. Some younger guys on here might not realize that Butkus was a two way player for the Illini, the starting Center as well as a LB. It takes great dedication as well as endurance to be on the field for every play at that level.
The Under Armour All American High School football game is on TV now. There are 3 players in that game that have committed to Illinois. Maybe this will be the start of something good. I'm not anti Illinois. Both of my daughters graduated from there but I call them like I see them. They have been painful to watch but I pull for them unless they are playing the Bucks.

Then there is the forgotten Illini legend Bill Burrell from Clifton Central probably because he was black. Started and played both ways at OG and MLB in the 1950's. All American, Big Ten MVP and 4th place finish in the Heisman.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) - Page 2 Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Pike Bishop on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Head Idiot wrote:OSU's Sr class went 48-6 over 4 years.

You really think they're sending Jake Fromm or someone of that caliber home for a bad bowl game? Marginal, non impact kid? Sure, what are they losing?

Nick Saban sent three players home, one of them a starting guard
4 players, three besides the DL, will not play for Clemson in the championship game
Nick Saban booted several players, some were impact players. during spring practice a few years back
In a bowl game, Gary Patterson of TCU, sent his QB, three year starter, was a early Heisman candidate, home, were down by 28 at half, come back to win with a back up who only had two days of preparation

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 pm

Nick Saban can replace a 5 star with a 5 star 3 rows deep.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Nick Saban can replace a 5 star with a 5 star 3 rows deep.

Ok, you said impact players, don't get sent home.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 pm

You really think they're sending Jake Fromm or someone of that caliber home for a bad bowl game? Marginal, non impact kid? Sure, what are they losing?

Michigan State sent their 2-3 year, starting, All-American MLB, Hank Bullock, home prior to the 2014Rose Bowl.They beat a good Stanford team without him jn a very good game.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:01 am

These are kids getting sent home before bowl games, probably for disciplinary reasons. These aren't kids getting sent home because they aren't playing hard enough in the Taxslayer Bowl.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:08 am

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:13 am

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Head Idiot wrote:These are kids getting sent home before bowl games, probably for disciplinary reasons. These aren't kids getting sent home because they aren't playing hard enough in the Taxslayer Bowl.

You said impact players would not get sent home.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Stop screaming!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Teetime wrote:Stop screaming!
Up your nose with a rubber hose.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Head Idiot wrote:

A player who had a bad game or tanked it regular season or bowl game it would not have an effect on their status the next game or spring practice? If you were a college coach, who's job and ability to pay your bills depends on the performance of these players are not going to evaluate or give a crap because it was a bowl game meaningless or otherwise? Alumni, donors, boosters will not care if player performance effected the amount butts in the stadium and how much money the athletic department made? I coached at DIII school for two years. The head coach and DC were former DI coaches. We were bad but I got my eyes opened on how poor player performance roles downhill.
It is not college, but pro players performance, especially on teams that are sub 500 and/or have no chance for the playoffs, are evaluated for future contract talks. I may be wrong, but the start of the Kolin Kapernick song and dance was because his game performances were bad, the team was sub 500, he was benched, and come contract time, he was offered less money?
I will venture a guess that Nick Saban took a pretty hard look at his QB situation after last year's championship game going in to spring practice. (Yes, the game was important, no, Hurts did not get sent home). What I have seen/heard about Nick Saban, having 3 deep 5 star players would not affect why he dismissed a player. My post was about a player's performance, especially at the DI level, whether a game or practice, is constantly being evaluated. I gave examples of players who's performance and or attitude led to a change in their status and in some cases being sent home. I gave examples of players, impact or not, who violated rules and were sent home (I have
worked with or seen coaches who ignore performance, rules, team, school, IHSA, NCAA, if that player meant a win). If you feel because it was a bowl game, important or meaningless, a player's performance in that game will have no effect going into the next season, I guess I
am not going to change your mind.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 am

This year was the 5th year for the current system of the CFP. The TV rating for the first game in January 2015 which featured OSU/Oregon was 18.5. The rating for the game this past Monday night was 14.6. That's a fairly significant decrease. I'm wondering why. Is there a loss of interest in college football in general, dissatisfaction with the current playoff system, Alabama/Clemson fatigue or some other factor or combination of several factors.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:04 pm

OSUBucks wrote:This year was the 5th year for the current system of the CFP. The TV rating for the first game in January 2015 which featured OSU/Oregon was 18.5. The rating for the game this past Monday night was 14.6. That's a fairly significant decrease. I'm wondering why. Is there a loss of interest in college football in general, dissatisfaction with the current playoff system, Alabama/Clemson fatigue or some other factor or combination of several factors.
I personally didn't pay much attention to it because I was still recovering from the kick to the balls from Sunday.

I doubt that there were that many like me.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:38 pm

OSUBucks wrote:This year was the 5th year for the current system of the CFP. The TV rating for the first game in January 2015 which featured OSU/Oregon was 18.5. The rating for the game this past Monday night was 14.6. That's a fairly significant decrease. I'm wondering why. Is there a loss of interest in college football in general, dissatisfaction with the current playoff system, Alabama/Clemson fatigue or some other factor or combination of several factors.

Does the drop in ratings include the number of people who are streaming the game? I have found myself watching more live sports this year than I ever have through HULU Live and I know many people who use other streaming services. Just curious if the TV ratings take this into account.

The fact they play the game on Monday still surprises me.  Why not play on Saturday?  
NFL Wildcard #1 - 12PM
NFL Wildcard #2 - 3:30PM
CFB Championship - 7:30PM

As a general football fan this would definitely end up being one of my favorite days of the year.
dusty7
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghengis Khan on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:59 pm

dusty7 wrote:

Does the drop in ratings include the number of people who are streaming the game?  I have found myself watching more live sports this year than I ever have through HULU Live and I know many people who use other streaming services.  Just curious if the TV ratings take this into account.  

The fact they play the game on Monday still surprises me.  Why not play on Saturday?  
NFL Wildcard #1 - 12PM

As a general football fan this would definitely end up being one of my favorite days of the year.

I have hard time seeing the NFL give up the primetime spot for the noon time slot on Saturday. Even if it would be the best for fans. NFL as we know is greeeeeedy, I imagine the advertising money at 7:30 is quite different than noon.

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm

dusty7 wrote:

Does the drop in ratings include the number of people who are streaming the game?  I have found myself watching more live sports this year than I ever have through HULU Live and I know many people who use other streaming services.  Just curious if the TV ratings take this into account.  

NFL Wildcard #1 - 12PM

saturday was d1aa at 11am.-i haven't missed this game in at least 10 years.
then both wild card games.

i'm sure the national championship game is in that time slot to replace mnf.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:I'm guessing that the two players you are referring to Pike are Red Grange and Dick Butkus, two of the best ever. Some younger guys on here might not realize that Butkus was a two way player for the Illini, the starting Center as well as a LB. It takes great dedication as well as endurance to be on the field for every play at that level.
The Under Armour All American High School football game is on TV now. There are 3 players in that game that have committed to Illinois. Maybe this will be the start of something good. I'm not anti Illinois. Both of my daughters graduated from there but I call them like I see them. They have been painful to watch but I pull for them unless they are playing the Bucks.

Then  there is the forgotten Illini legend Bill Burrell from Clifton Central probably because he was black.  Started and played both ways at OG and MLB in the 1950's.  All American, Big Ten MVP and 4th place finish in the Heisman.

There was an article recently about his career. Very good player.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:51 am

Deserves to be in the Illini Hall of Fame sooner than later
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2