The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by newcom on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:53 pm

The Committee got it Right, Georgia 3 losses, Ohio State, unimpressive. Just sayin!
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3233
Join date : 2008-09-25
Age : 52
Location : In the land of wordless books.

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:58 pm

newcom wrote:The Committee got it Right, Georgia 3 losses, Ohio State, unimpressive.  Just sayin!
See, I don't know about that. What motivation did Georgia have? Prove some meaningless pundits right or wrong? My Sr year we were #1 ranked in wrestling from Week 1 all the way to the dual team championship. Lost in the semis. We could have given 2 craps about the 3rd place match and we got torched by a team we'd already beaten. It was championship or nothing. Conversely, I helped coach a team that was overachieving to be in the 3rd place match and gave it everything they had to win. Using the results of these meaningless games to deem a team worthy or not is an exercise in futility.

And OSU took Washington to the woodshed for 3 1/2 quarters. They just started their party too soon.

PS- sorry for the derailment. I didn't realize what thread this was.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by newcom on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:43 pm

If taking a crappy team to the woodshed was that then they both really sucked!
newcom
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3233
Join date : 2008-09-25
Age : 52
Location : In the land of wordless books.

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Pike Bishop on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
newcom wrote:The Committee got it Right, Georgia 3 losses, Ohio State, unimpressive.  Just sayin!
See, I don't know about that. What motivation did Georgia have? Prove some meaningless pundits right or wrong? My Sr year we were #1 ranked in wrestling from Week 1 all the way to the dual team championship. Lost in the semis. We could have given 2 craps about the 3rd place match and we got torched by a team we'd already beaten. It was championship or nothing. Conversely, I helped coach a team that was overachieving to be in the 3rd place match and gave it everything they had to win. Using the results of these meaningless games to deem a team worthy or not is an exercise in futility.

And OSU took Washington to the woodshed for 3 1/2 quarters. They just started their party too soon.

PS- sorry for the derailment. I didn't realize what thread this was.

They had a month to get over the loss in the SEC championship game. Texas lost the Big 12 championship game the same day to a team they beat earlier in the season. They got over it and played pretty good in a meaningless game.
Ohio State - only played/coached one game the whole year where they looked like a top 4 team, Michigan.









Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Posts : 167
Join date : 2016-04-11

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Pike Bishop wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
newcom wrote:The Committee got it Right, Georgia 3 losses, Ohio State, unimpressive.  Just sayin!
See, I don't know about that. What motivation did Georgia have? Prove some meaningless pundits right or wrong? My Sr year we were #1 ranked in wrestling from Week 1 all the way to the dual team championship. Lost in the semis. We could have given 2 craps about the 3rd place match and we got torched by a team we'd already beaten. It was championship or nothing. Conversely, I helped coach a team that was overachieving to be in the 3rd place match and gave it everything they had to win. Using the results of these meaningless games to deem a team worthy or not is an exercise in futility.

And OSU took Washington to the woodshed for 3 1/2 quarters. They just started their party too soon.

PS- sorry for the derailment. I didn't realize what thread this was.

They had a month to get over the loss in the SEC championship game. Texas lost the Big 12 championship game the same day to a team they beat earlier in the season. They got over it and played pretty good in a meaningless game.
Ohio State - only played/coached  one game the whole year where they looked like a top 4 team, Michigan.
I'm saying- if your goal is to play for a NC, and you're that close, what do you care about Texas? You really think those players give a crap about school pride or conference superiority? How many Georgia players sat to protect their draft status? Texas at no point were ever in the NC hunt, winning that game for them was a big deal.

PS- OSU was leading 28-3 at the end of the 3rd and had only given up 200yds of offense to Washington at the end of the quarter. That's pretty good against the supposed 8th best team in the country.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Fresno State, Ohio State, Texas A&M and Washington State are the only Top 25 teams in Bowl Season that didn't lose to a lower ranked or unranked opponent.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Pike Bishop on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Pike Bishop wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
newcom wrote:The Committee got it Right, Georgia 3 losses, Ohio State, unimpressive.  Just sayin!
See, I don't know about that. What motivation did Georgia have? Prove some meaningless pundits right or wrong? My Sr year we were #1 ranked in wrestling from Week 1 all the way to the dual team championship. Lost in the semis. We could have given 2 craps about the 3rd place match and we got torched by a team we'd already beaten. It was championship or nothing. Conversely, I helped coach a team that was overachieving to be in the 3rd place match and gave it everything they had to win. Using the results of these meaningless games to deem a team worthy or not is an exercise in futility.

And OSU took Washington to the woodshed for 3 1/2 quarters. They just started their party too soon.

PS- sorry for the derailment. I didn't realize what thread this was.

They had a month to get over the loss in the SEC championship game. Texas lost the Big 12 championship game the same day to a team they beat earlier in the season. They got over it and played pretty good in a meaningless game.
Ohio State - only played/coached  one game the whole year where they looked like a top 4 team, Michigan.
I'm saying- if your goal is to play for a NC, and you're that close, what do you care about Texas? You really think those players give a crap about school pride or conference superiority? How many Georgia players sat to protect their draft status?  Texas at no point were ever in the NC hunt, winning that game for them was a big deal.

PS- OSU was leading 28-3 at the end of the 3rd and had only given up 200yds of offense to Washington at the end of the quarter. That's pretty good against the supposed 8th best team in the country.

How about playing for your scholarship, job, position? I am pretty sure a player's bowl performance is evaluated. A senior or underclassman opting for the draft and not wanting to play - I get it. A DI football player I coached said every practice was like playing in the state championship game. Every minute was filmed and evaluated. You could not take a break. A girl that I coached said the same thing about competing in DI track and field, every practice was like competing in the state meet.you whined, loafed, complained, you literally got sent home. I am blessed to have a son with that has the talent to compete at the DI level. He can not take a race off because he lost he lost his previous race which was important to him and he thinks the next one is meaningless. He has had teammates, due to poor performances, poor practice performance, skipping practice, team violations, attitude, did not make road trips, did not compete or where kicked off.
I have coached in and lost some big games (playoffs, regular season), all coaches have. Playoffs - if I had to play a 3rd place game the next week, yes, it would be tough to coach/play. Regular season big loss - one better get over it pretty quick. I just can not buy that you
have a month long pity party over a loss.
Ohio State - for what I have seen they are a bunch of under achievers. For all the talent they are supposed to have.



Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Posts : 167
Join date : 2016-04-11

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm

OSU's Sr class went 48-6 over 4 years.

You really think they're sending Jake Fromm or someone of that caliber home for a bad bowl game? Marginal, non impact kid? Sure, what are they losing?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Pike Bishop on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Head Idiot wrote:OSU's Sr class went 48-6 over 4 years.

You really think they're sending Jake Fromm or someone of that caliber home for a bad bowl game? Marginal, non impact kid? Sure, what are they losing?

48-6 over 4 years, outstanding! You play sub-par with the talent you have (and still win), go thru the motions (and win), or lose a game you should win, then when you don not make the final four, OSU fans start to whine how they got great talent and they got screwed by the committee. When they won it all in 2014 (?), they played like a championship caliber team the whole season. They played only one game this season for four quarters like they are capable of, Michigan.

My point is you're always being evaluated, and like your favorite President once said, elections (Performances), have consequences.
After a month, Its time to stop the snowflake, millennial BS, get out of your safe space, line up and play ball.





Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Posts : 167
Join date : 2016-04-11

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by tincup1215 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 pm

I'd like to know what OSUBucks thinks
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Posts : 1459
Join date : 2008-09-28
Location : The Burn

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Teetime on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 pm

He is on a bender in honor of Urban.

_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
Teetime
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 6336
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by OSUBucks on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 pm

[quote="Pike Bishop"]
Head Idiot wrote:OSU's Sr class went 48-6 over 4 years.

You really think they're sending Jake Fromm or someone of that caliber home for a bad bowl game? Marginal, non impact kid? Sure, what are they losing?

48-6 over 4 years, outstanding! You play sub-par with the talent you have (and still win), go thru the motions (and win), or lose a game you should win, then when you don not make the final four, OSU fans start to whine how they got great talent and they got screwed by the committee. When they won it all in 2014 (?), they played like a championship caliber team the whole season. They played only one game this season for four quarters like they are capable of, Michigan.

My point is you're always being evaluated, and like your favorite President once said, elections (Performances), have consequences.
After a month, Its time to stop the snowflake, millennial BS, get out of your safe space, line up and play ball.

I agree with this for the most part. Earlier today I told someone almost the exact same thing about OSU only playing one complete 4 quarter game this year. That said I disagree with newcom's post that the committee got it right. If the idea was to get the 4 best teams in they failed. You put a bunch of men in a room together and try to pick the 4 team playoff you aren't going to get good results most of the time. Most of those guys are going to have their individual biases and they won't have an objective opinion. Going to a computer generated ranking like Sagarin would at least be better than what we have now. The computer has no bias.
Before the season ND was said to have a very tough schedule ahead of them. As it turns out that schedule was way overrated. USC was 5-7, Stanford was a 4 loss team, Virginia Tech was 6-7 and FSU 5-7. I guess their best win was the win over Syracuse or possibly the 24-17 week 1 win over the Michigan team that OSU blew out. If there was one obvious conclusion to be made watching the two Semifinal games it was that ND didn't belong. ND should have had to play Clemson in the ACC title game for the right to go to the playoffs. ND affiliates with the ACC for basketball but they are allowed to get away with this BS of declaring themselves Independent for football, thus they are able to avoid a Conference Championship game which typically is a game that has to be won to get invited to the playoffs.
If you had asked me after the Purdue loss if I would be happy with OSU going 13-1, winning their rivalry game, winning the Big 10 again and winning the Rose Bowl I would have said hell yes. I wasn't upset about OSU not getting invited to the playoffs because I felt that Clemson and Alabama were the two most complete teams this year and OSU probably didn't have the defense to beat them.
For the record if OSU had played ND in a Bowl game ND would have gotten their butt whipped, just like every single time they have played OSU in the modern era. Did you hear the hype leading up to the Semifinal games? The talking heads on ESPN were hyping up ND's chances and saying Clemson might be in real trouble with their DLine anchor Dexter Lawrence, a future 1st rounder not playing. How many times in the last 20 years have we heard similar comments only to see them flame out? Eight straight losses in big bowl games.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/12/29/18159238/notre-dame-playoff-loss-cotton-bowl
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3316
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by 19delta on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:54 pm

ND would have been better off NOT getting in. Had they been left out, they could have done the UCF thing...claiming a national championship (assuming they would have won their bowl game).
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3675
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:47 am

One point of Pike's that I missed earlier and would disagree with is his comment about underachieving. The last couple of years they have had a lot of early entry guys, particularly on defense. It caught up with them this year. Among those were Cornerback Denzel Ward, 4th overall pick and a contender for defensive rookie of the year. Sam Hubbard had 6 sacks for the Bengals this year last time I checked. OSU lost Nick Bosa to injury for the season and he might be the #1 pick in the draft. Add those three guys in and that defense is dramatically better. The talent at LB is the worst in memory for OSU.
The defensive issues didn't have as much to do with underachieving as the talent level being down by their standards.
One other thing about the win over Washington. Two offensive line starters, the left tackle Munford and the right guard Knox, were out with injuries did not play against Washington so they had two guys making their first start.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3316
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by ging on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 am

newcom wrote:The Committee got it Right, Georgia 3 losses, Ohio State, unimpressive.  Just sayin!

Sally N D proved, once again, that they don't belong with the top dogs. not sure that makes the committee right.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 2621
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 51
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:37 pm

16 years ago today Miami's 34 game win streak ended and with it the end of a football dynasty. Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQYgyOOP2s
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3316
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 pm

OSUBucks wrote:16 years ago today Miami's 34 game win streak ended and with it the end of a football dynasty.  Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQYgyOOP2s

On one of the worst PI Calls ever........
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1351
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Oh and the old tournament system 1 vs 2 for the title worked perfectly this year. Everyone else is a pretender.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1351
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:16 years ago today Miami's 34 game win streak ended and with it the end of a football dynasty.  Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQYgyOOP2s

On one of the worst PI Calls ever........

Those whining about that call have selective memories and forget the non call on defensive holding against Miami on OSU's last possession in regulation. The Miami defender had a handful of Chris Gamble's jersey and the jersey was stretched out a foot. Hard to understand how that one was missed. Even Dan Fouts, who was the analyst for the game said that they missed that call. If they get that call right OSU never has to punt and would have run out the clock in regulation.
As to the PI call in OT, I think the official took his time and got it right. You are entitled to your opinion though. Here's the missed defensive holding.

http://buckeyefansonly.com/blog/terriblecall.html
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3316
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm

I saw offensive holding on the play. I also saw after Pass Interference at the end of the game Craig Krenzel take off his Helmet on the field. Since the game was not over due to Penalty that should of been a 15 yard unsportsmen like penalty against The Ohio State. Lots of missed calls.

Bottom line let the players decide the game. They didnt on that play. There is a huge difference in denying a penalty happened and not be sorry a penalty happened because it benefited your team.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1351
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:I saw offensive holding on the play.  I also saw after Pass Interference at the end of the game Craig Krenzel take off his Helmet on the field.  Since the game was not over due to Penalty that should of been a 15 yard unsportsmen like penalty against The Ohio State.  Lots of missed calls.  

Bottom line let the players decide the game.  They didnt on that play.  There is a huge difference in denying a penalty happened and not be sorry a penalty happened because it benefited your team.

Ohio State won that game fair and square, get over it. Going back to a comment Pike made about whining OSU fans. You don't know what whining butt hurt fans are unless you are an OSU fan living in Illinois and hear all the whining, negative anti OSU BS that I've heard for years. A lot of it is fueled by envy. Here we live in the the 5th or 6th most populous state in the country and their flagship University can't even put a decent product on the field with any regularity. The last time the Illini had a winning record and went to a Bowl game was 2011 when they went 7-6.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3316
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Won Fair and Square???

Now Im not sure who is talking out their ass more Urban Meyer or Yourself. If the Defender was an Ohio State player we both know you would be singing a completely different tune.

I know what Whining butt hurt fans are.........Usually Sally N D fans haha
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1351
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Pike Bishop on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:13 pm

OSUBucks wrote:
Bighitter11 wrote:I saw offensive holding on the play.  I also saw after Pass Interference at the end of the game Craig Krenzel take off his Helmet on the field.  Since the game was not over due to Penalty that should of been a 15 yard unsportsmen like penalty against The Ohio State.  Lots of missed calls.  

Bottom line let the players decide the game.  They didnt on that play.  There is a huge difference in denying a penalty happened and not be sorry a penalty happened because it benefited your team.

Ohio State won that game fair and square, get over it. Going back to a comment Pike made about whining OSU fans. You don't know what whining butt hurt fans are unless you are an OSU fan living in Illinois and hear all the whining, negative anti OSU BS that I've heard for years. A lot of it is fueled by envy. Here we live in the the 5th or 6th most populous state in the country and their flagship University can't even put a decent product on the field with any regularity. The last time the Illini had a winning record and went to a Bowl game was 2011 when they went 7-6.

I will take your word about players leaving early and injuries. That is a decisive factor. Illinois, I started watching/following them when Jim Valek was the coach (I'm really aging myself). Lose or win, I would watch, go to their games (saw their 0-0 tie with Northwestern!), support them. After Zook's last year I had enough. Not that I was a Zook fan, but I got tired of them dreaming up ways to lose games.
I could not handle the ineptitude any more. I Had two of my ex-players played for them, so I would still watch the games. When they graduated two years ago, I stopped. The two best players in the program played in the 1920's and early 60's. The most memorable game - October, 1924.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Posts : 167
Join date : 2016-04-11

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 pm

I'm guessing that the two players you are referring to Pike are Red Grange and Dick Butkus, two of the best ever. Some younger guys on here might not realize that Butkus was a two way player for the Illini, the starting Center as well as a LB. It takes great dedication as well as endurance to be on the field for every play at that level.
The Under Armour All American High School football game is on TV now. There are 3 players in that game that have committed to Illinois. Maybe this will be the start of something good. I'm not anti Illinois. Both of my daughters graduated from there but I call them like I see them. They have been painful to watch but I pull for them unless they are playing the Bucks.
OSUBucks
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3316
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:12 pm

Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10028
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

The NCAA four team tournament (football) Empty Re: The NCAA four team tournament (football)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum