Districts Passed

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Districts Passed

Post by center on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Here is an example why a school like ours would vote for it.

Here are the current enrollments for the Big Northern:

Dixon 742 (almost 5A)
Rock falls 645 4A
SV 596 4A
GK 588 4A
Lutheran 575 (multiplier 4A)
Mendota 555 4A
N Boone 503 3A
Byron 470 3A
Bago 454 3A
Oregon 398…….

We are the 398. In the past several years our conference has decided to vote in Dixon, another private school who has some state caliber programs other than football, and Johnsburg. The Johnsburg that beat Phillips in football and left the BNC anyway.

So our conference decisions were not helping us.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:19 pm

lefty120 wrote:Good point...thanks for adding that. Are they concerned about losing rivalries that are decades deep in the Catholic League?  I went to school at Elmhurst with a ton of deep rooted CCL guys who loved talking about those rivalries and I enjoyed listening. Some of those I’d have to think are in jeopardy.

They are absolutely in jeopardy.  Frankly, I don't care that much from a Loyola perspective.  I can certainly understand, though, that schools like Mt Carmel and St. Rita would be concerned about their rivalry if they are placed in separate districts.  

Loyola's current football rivalries with CCL schools are mostly with the traditional CCL Blue schools like Mt Carmel, St. Rita, Providence and Brother Rice -- all of them are southside or southwest suburban schools.  Not exactly neighborhood rivals for north suburban Loyola.  

Loyola's big football rival from when I was in school was Gordon Tech, which is now known as DePaul Prep.  Gordon used to have 2,200 boys.  Now, DePaul Prep is a coed school of about 500-600, and their football glory days are long past them.  Another big CCL football rivalry from my day was Weber, which closed in the late 1990s.  Both Gordon and Weber were northside city Catholic schools and attracted students from many of the same city neighborhoods as Loyola.  

Personally, my rivalry interests for Loyola are with local schools like New Trier, Niles N D, Maine South, and Glenbrook South.  Right now, New Trier is a big rivalry in pretty much all sports, and Maine South is a big football rivalry.  If districts last, I really like the potential for good football rivalries with all those schools.
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 am

awm wrote:In the end, people look out for their own self interest. Enough thought they would benefit from it in some way to vote for it. I found it interesting that, at least locally, coaches of highly successful programs are taking the sky is falling approach while others are going with the wait and see attitude.

who had the sky is falling approach? i'm assuming you were talking about the sjr article.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 am

Anyone know if the playoffs under "District" format will require the first two weeks to be a "district only" tourney and then the eight district champs will have a second three week single elimination tournament?

Anyone?

Buehler? Buehler?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:48 am

My understanding is that the district representatives that qualify for the playoffs will be matched up against representatives from the other districts. You would not face a same-district school until the quarterfinals.

Think of the North/South split. Now you will have Dist. #1-4 split from Dist. #5-8. See my sample half a bracket below.

D1 #1 vs. D4 #4
D2 #2 vs. D3 #3
Winners play in 2nd round
Winners play in Quarters: You could finally have a same division (D1 #1 vs. D1 #2) matchup (hypothetical)
D2 #1 vs. D3 #4
D1 #2 vs. D4 #3
Winners play in 2nd round

etc, etc, etc....
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:23 pm

1 2 3 4
A1 B1 C1 D1
B2 C2 D2 A2
C3 D3 A3 B3
D4 A4 B4 C4

First Round
A1 vs D4
B2 vs C3

C1 vs B4
D2 vs A3

B1 vs A4
C2 vs D3

D1 vs C4
A2 vs B3

Top 2 Teams from a District wouldnt meet until Semi's
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Thank you guys!

You are the greatest.

And.......Merry Christmas!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:50 pm

tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 pm

There is a poster on Edgy's board who is saying that it is conceivable that a team can have three district wins, finish the regular season at 3-6, and qualify for the fourth playoff spot in their district.  Conversely, there are some teams that will win three or four district games, win their two non-district games and not qualify.

Granted, these are unlikely scenarios, but not beyond the realm of possibility.

What is more likely to happen are some 4-5 teams qualifying and some 5-4 teams or 6-3 teams not qualifying.   While this can happen with our current system, it is far more likely to happen with the district format as approved.

Yet another poster posed this scenario: What if you have three bad teams that finish their district schedule going 0-7, 1-6, and 2-6, while the rest go 5-2, 5-2, 5-2, 5-2, 5-2...i.e. they all beat the bad three and go 2-2 against each other...A five way tie for the district title....one of them misses the playoffs.

And, what if the one that misses the playoffs won their first two non-district games? Then you'd have a 7-2 team that doesn't qualify when there will surely be 4-5 teams that qualify.

Yikes.
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 pm

ramblinman wrote:There is a poster on Edgy's board who is saying that it is conceivable that a team can have three district wins, finish the regular season at 3-6, and qualify for the fourth playoff spot in their district.  Conversely, there are some teams that will win three or four district games, win their two non-district games and not qualify.

Granted, these are unlikely scenarios, but not beyond the realm of possibility.

What is more likely to happen are some 4-5 teams qualifying and some 5-4 teams or 6-3 teams not qualifying.   While this can happen with our current system, it is far more likely to happen with the district format as approved.

Yet another poster posed this scenario:  What if you have three bad teams that finish their district schedule going 0-7, 1-6, and 2-6, while the rest go 5-2, 5-2, 5-2, 5-2, 5-2...i.e. they all beat the bad three and go 2-2 against each other...A five way tie for the district title....one of them misses the playoffs.  

And, what if the one that misses the  playoffs won their first two non-district games?  Then you'd have a 7-2 team that doesn't qualify when there will surely be 4-5 teams that qualify.

Yikes.
I don't see why a 4-5 team in is a bad thing. Some of Illinois' greatest legends in other sports are teams that sucked in the regular season and put it together to win a championship. Now, that could happen for football. I'm sure there's at least a couple 4-5 teams in the past that could have advanced deep in the playoffs had the system been different.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
I don't see why a 4-5 team in is a bad thing. Some of Illinois' greatest legends in other sports are teams that sucked in the regular season and put it together to win a championship. Now, that could happen for football. I'm sure there's at least a couple 4-5 teams in the past that could have advanced deep in the playoffs had the system been different.

Looked at as a single outlier, one 4-5 team in the playoffs isn't necessarily a bad thing.  What if there are multiple 4-5 qualifiers, and what if they are all first round knockouts?  Multiple 4-5 qualifiers could very likely happen in this new system each year.  And how would you feel if your team finished at 6-3 and didn't qualify when multiple 4-5 teams did?
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:39 pm

ramblinman wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Looked at as a single outlier, one 4-5 team in the playoffs isn't necessarily a bad thing.  What if there are multiple 4-5 qualifiers, and what if they are all first round knockouts?  Multiple 4-5 qualifiers could very likely happen in this new system each year.  And how would you feel if your team finished at 6-3 and didn't qualify when multiple 4-5 teams did?
Hey, I've been bumped to 3A to play the 2nd ranked team in state for .60 of a kid in the football enrollment days when our football enrollment was 40 kids higher than our actual enrollment. It won't bother me.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
ramblinman wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Hey, I've been bumped to 3A to play the 2nd ranked team in state for .60 of a kid in the football enrollment days when our football enrollment was 40 kids higher than our actual enrollment. It won't bother me.

Failing to qualify for the playoffs with a better record than other qualifiers is more problematic/frustrating than being bumped up a class after making the playoffs. Would you agree?

As to you not being bothered if your 6-3 team failed to qualify when multiple 4-5 teams were qualifying, I have no comment. As to you remembering it many years after the fact, I think that's a safe bet.
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:30 pm

ramblinman wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
ramblinman wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Failing to qualify for the playoffs with a better record than other qualifiers is more problematic/frustrating than being bumped up a class after making the playoffs.  Would you agree?

As to you not being bothered if your 6-3 team failed to qualify when multiple 4-5 teams were qualifying, I have no comment.  As to you remembering it many years after the fact, I think that's a safe bet.
As of the foreseeable future, the playoffs really won't apply to me.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:20 am

I think some people over on Edgy's want to have it both ways.  You can't call the first two games "glorified scrimmages" and then talk about how winning them makes you so much better than a team in another district with a poorer record because they lost their "scrimmages".

Last edited by Huck on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:22 am

Head Idiot wrote:
ramblinman wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Please know I say this as a bit of a smartass, but mostly not...you can't tell me with a straight face that if you were to remain helping at Lincoln, with all the struggles that their football program has endured for years, that if you guys went 6-3 and there were multiple teams that qualified at 4-5, which is a possibility, you wouldn't be extremely unhappy with that loophole in this new system and devastated for your kids and fellow coaches.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:25 am

How could anyone be devastated if the first two games are "meaningless"?
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:33 am

This is a great article and comes from someone who is decidedly in favor of districts...which I respect.  However, you can't compare the first two games of football being 'meaningless' to any other sport...AT ALL!  Every game those teams play in volleyball, basketball, etc. is counted towards their overall record and has at least a little bit of a say in how they are seeded come post season.  I still stand by the fact that the current climate in high school football is such that people have a cautious view of injuries etc. those first two games being meaningless is going to have some backlash.  I'd bet my mortgage on it.  I have a hard time believing that any coach is going to play his Division 1 QB in those first two games in anything other than an NFL preseason role.  You can give me the whole 'rivalry' and 'don't tell them it doesn't mean anything' stuff all you want.  If we had lost our best player this year in one of two meaningless games, our season would have been devastated.  There aren't many schools 4A and below that aren't in the same boat.  

Again, I know that opinion is not shared by all...and that's okay.  I'm just hoping that in the future, if districts stick, there's a way we can put together some sort of meaning on those games.  We played 4 non-conference games this year...one of which was against Westmont...not even close to us geographically...still meant a ton in the grand scheme of our season...we lose to them and we are 5-4 and not getting in.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:38 am

Huck wrote:How could anyone be devastated if the first two games are "meaningless"?

When you're at a place like Lincoln or even Salem for that matter; to work as hard as they do and we have to build some sort of foundation of success for your program after struggling for a great deal of time; then see someone 4-5 get in the playoffs after you go 6-3 overall...speaking from personal experience...yes, I / we would be devastated and very frustrated with the way the system was set up. At least right now, the teams that finish with the best records are the one's qualifying. And hey, there's a ton of issues with the current system, I won't even try to debate anyone on that. But the new one I guess just has so many questions that honestly, are going to be left up to the IHSA to answer; and as an Illinois HS FB lifer, that scares the crap out of me. And it should a lot of others too!

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:47 am

But it won't be 4-5 vs. 6-3. It would be 4-3 vs. 4-3. Either the first two games matter or they don't. Three years from now, anyone who isn't thinking that way is the problem. Everyone (media, coaches, players, etc.) will focus on the district record. If this system were beginning next year, I could see it. But not three years from now.
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:57 am

i said this many years ago, but the ihsa needs to stop using enrollment as the only way to classify teams.

someone needs to develop a system that classifies teams based on enrollment AND the strength of the program over the course of several seasons. there have been computer rankings for years that, while not perfect, could be used to provide guidance for this.
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:07 am

Huck wrote:But it won't be 4-5 vs. 6-3.  It would be 4-3 vs. 4-3.  Either the first two games matter or they don't.  Three years from now, anyone who isn't thinking that way is the problem.  Everyone (media, coaches, players, etc.) will focus on the district record.  If this system were beginning next year, I could see it.  But not three years from now.

Fair enough! I guess that's where I'm at...do they or don't they?! Regardless of your opinion on those first two games, I think it's safe to say there will be plenty of coaches in our state out there who will coach their teams differently in those two games. Some will treat them as pre season and limit starters reps, focus on position battles etc. Some will play them to win and play their starters every play just as if playoff implications were on the line. I think it's also safe to say, both groups of coaches will receive equal backlash for how they approach it. If you lose a 'rivalry' game because you didn't play your best the entire time...look out! And how about that 4A or below team that has realistic playoff hopes and even hopes of making a run in the post season and you lose a QB, RB, or more in those first two games...then everyone is questioning philosophy.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Huck wrote:I think some people over on Edgy's want to have it both ways.  You can't call the first two games "glorified scrimmages" and then talk about how winning them makes you so much better than a team in another district with a poorer record because they lost their "scrimmages".

I think those two arguments are coming from two different posters.

Last edited by ramblinman on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:16 pm

ging wrote:i said this many years ago, but the ihsa needs to stop using enrollment as the only way to classify teams.  

someone needs to develop a system that classifies teams based on enrollment AND the strength of the program over the course of several seasons.

Couldn't agree more. Been saying this for years.
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm

lefty120 wrote:I'm just hoping that in the future, if districts stick, there's a way we can put together some sort of meaning on those games.  

Can't recall if it was here or at Edgy's, but someone wondered if more meaning could be added to the first two games by counting them for seeding purposes.  That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Relative to qualifying, what if there are two teams at 6-1, one at 5-2, and two at 4-3?    Why can't the first two games be used as part of a tie breaking system relative to qualifying and seeding?
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next