What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by Ghengis Khan on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 am

Asked last year, but one of my favorite questions each year.

What did you do differently that went well? What did you change that didn't have a positive outcome.

Can be scheme/plays/concepts but doesn't have to be, could also be a technique, formation, addition by subtraction/change of emphasis, drill, etc.

Thanks

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Posts : 173
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by center on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:14 pm

I used to be a varsity HC and now I am a FS assistant coach the last two years.

This year we did less contact in practice then I have ever been around. A little more use of dummies, tackling wheels, and that kind of stuff. A lot more focus on assignments.

I would say at the end of the year we were healthy, still wanted to play football, and seemed to know what we were doing with assignments. We were still physical in games.

Again this is with freshmen and sophomores at a small school.

center
Bee-otch

Posts : 400
Join date : 2009-11-17

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:23 pm

This year was my first experience with music during practice. It had mixed results. The energy level was generally higher and kids seemed more peppy, but the attention level was, I thought, WAY down. It was sometimes hard to coach over IMO. In a program that films everything and everyone tries to go fast and use film to coach, that probably wouldn't be a problem. But in a HS program where you're trying to coach on the fly and get advice in between plays, it was a giant issue I thought.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Head Idiot wrote:This year was my first experience with music during practice.  It had mixed results.  The energy level was generally higher and kids seemed more peppy, but the attention level was, I thought, WAY down.  It was sometimes hard to coach over IMO.  In a program that films everything and everyone tries to go fast and use film to coach, that probably wouldn't be a problem.  But in a HS program where you're trying to coach on the fly and get advice in between plays, it was a giant issue I thought.

We've had music in practice before and this was my experience. And, I even caught myself focusing more on the song at times than what was happening on the field.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2008-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Keokuk, Iowa

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by Teetime on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Was Beyonce performing live at your practice?


_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
Teetime
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 6357
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:23 pm

We had a new HC this year, so a lot of what we did was different than in the past.  But...one thing I did like was devoting Tuesday to an offensive practice and Wednesday to defense.  Unless we did so at my first coaching job (too long ago to remember) I have not been in a program that split days like this. We seemed to get way more reps overall and could focus on coaching details better with the days emphasized like this.
wolverine55
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2008-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Keokuk, Iowa

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 pm

wolverine55 wrote:We had a new HC this year, so a lot of what we did was different than in the past.  But...one thing I did like was devoting Tuesday to an offensive practice and Wednesday to defense.  Unless we did so at my first coaching job (too long ago to remember) I have not been in a program that split days like this.  We seemed to get way more reps overall and could focus on coaching details better with the days emphasized like this.
See, that's odd to me. This year is the first time I've been anywhere that didn't do just that thing.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Posts : 10070
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 101
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by mc140 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:58 pm

We had no summer workouts.

I had a group of kids who refused to show all summer for the first time. Never had more than 14 kids and usually 8 or 9. But it was always a different 8 or 9 (25 total showed at some point). I probably made close to 40 phone calls trying to get kids out and if I did not we may not have had a team this year or at least would have forfeited the first week or two. I did not run a play on offense or defense until the first week of August, did not have the bodies to go 11 on 11 until the second week of practice in August. It did not hurt us much defensively but killed our offense. They did not start to play ok until mid-season and a big part of that was none of our QBs came the entire summer.

Maybe they will grow up but I am scared for our varsity program next year. We did finish with 30 kids and had only one non injured kid quit during the actual season from August through October.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1254
Join date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by 19delta on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:41 pm

wolverine55 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:This year was my first experience with music during practice.  It had mixed results.  The energy level was generally higher and kids seemed more peppy, but the attention level was, I thought, WAY down.  It was sometimes hard to coach over IMO.  In a program that films everything and everyone tries to go fast and use film to coach, that probably wouldn't be a problem.  But in a HS program where you're trying to coach on the fly and get advice in between plays, it was a giant issue I thought.

We've had music in practice before and this was my experience.  And, I even caught myself focusing more on the song at times than what was happening on the field.

And the music sucks, for the most part. I let my PE kids make up a playlist for class and, except for my single metalhead kid who likes Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, the rest of the songs are terrible. Have white kids always listened to hip-hop? When I was a kid, it was all hard rock and heavy metal.

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3691
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

What did you change this year? (For better or worse..) Empty Re: What did you change this year? (For better or worse..)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum