More hazing?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

More hazing? - Page 2 Empty Re: More hazing?

Post by 19delta on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Byron Coach wrote:Kids making simple, harmless, dumb choices..........that’s your angle? No hazing. You called all the way to the IHSA? You FOIA our emails? There are a heck of a lot worse things our kids could be doing......drugs, drinking, etc.
To a degree, the guy has a point. The Oreo thing, if not forced on kids, is just stupid. The dick to the face thing is a little more heinous, but I'm sure we've all seen behavior like that before. I have no idea why people do that, or what goes through their minds to make them do that, but I don't know why people draw penises on everything. And I guarantee you we all know an adult who still does that stupid crap.

I think that to compare these incidents to the Reed Custer or Plano things as if they are equal is probably what this coach is reacting to. Those were truly disgusting.

I don't think the Byron coach who emailed the paper has much of a point at all. Sure...you can say "well, at least Byron kids aren't shoving broomsticks up other kids' asses" but, if that is the bar, then it's really low.

I think the email this coach sent is tone deaf and unprofessional. It reeks of "boys will be boys" and that just doesn't work as an excuse any more. You are right...when you and I were kids, this stuff happened, too. And kids who had this stuff done to them had no recourse other than to suck it up and deal with it. But it's not like that anymore, thankfully.

Regarding the Oreo thing...I find it really hard to believe that it was consensual and voluntary for every kid involved. I don't care what the administration found in their "investigation". And now the thing with this kid getting arrested for what he did on the bus...I think it is more than fair for the Byron community to ask what the heck is going on in the athletic department.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:57 pm

I think to blame the school for this kind of stuff is a little out of whack. While at former stop, we had a class of kids who liked to have sex on the football field on the weekends. Sometimes with multiples involved. Is that on the athletic department?

Some groups of kids are just \"f\"ing weird/assholes. I think their parents who raised them to be like this should probably be asking themselves more questions than the athletic department.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Head Idiot wrote:I think to blame the school for this kind of stuff is a little out of whack. While at former stop, we had a class of kids who liked to have sex on the football field on the weekends. Sometimes with multiples involved. Is that on the athletic department?

Some groups of kids are just \"f\"ing weird/assholes. I think their parents who raised them to be like this should probably be asking themselves more questions than the athletic department.

Well...I think there is a big difference between what happened at your school and the stuff at Byron. Did you or any of the other teachers or coaches at the school write a tone deaf and indignant email to the local paper claiming that any concern about what these kids were doing is blown out of proportion?

I don't blame the Byron athletic department for the individual acts of these kids. But, certainly it is rational to suggest that the athletic department at Byron does not take any of these situations seriously based on the content and tone of the email sent by one of their employees to a media outlet that was sure to be publicized.

I have to wonder if this coach who sent the email is a little nervous about keeping his job. I would think that the Byron administration would have made sure that all employees would know to not make any comments about these events, especially unsolicited comments like the email. When I have been in schools where things like this have happened, there was always a mass email or staff meeting in which we were specifically instructed to NOT speak to the media and if any media contacted us individually, we were to direct them to the school and district administration.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:38 pm

No one sent any emails because social media/the internet weren't there to blow it out of proportion.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Head Idiot wrote:No one sent any emails because social media/the internet weren't there to blow it out of proportion.

I don't think that showing concern about kids having public group sex on school property is "blowing it our of proportion".
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:57 pm

What exactly should a school do about a threesome on a football field on a Saturday night?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 pm

Head Idiot wrote:What exactly should a school do about a threesome on a football field on a Saturday night?

Make them roll the field after they were done.
Bighitter11
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:38 pm

Head Idiot wrote:What exactly should a school do about a threesome on a football field on a Saturday night?

In that case, it's not really the school's responsibility to do anything, other than contact law enforcement. Maybe install cameras and signage announcing that the area is under video surveillance?

But that situation is NOT analogous to either the Oreo cookie run or what happened on the bus.

Look...as I said earlier, I'm not saying that the school is 100% responsible for these kids' actions. But I do think it is reasonable to suggest that there just might be a negative culture at Byron right now that either is encouraged or allowed.

The indigant tone of the unsolicited email the coach sent to the newspaper certainly supports that conclusion.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Whichever coach wrote that article should be ashamed, embarrassed, and resign. What a joke. Things that are allowed to happen while supervised, set the culture. What they do in unsupervised time (no coaches/teachers) is not the fault of the school, but it may be an extension of what's allowed.
SIFBCoach7
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 pm

I've been debating on printing out this headline along with some other headlines of hazing from over the years and giving it to my Track team at the beginning of the season. We haven't had any hazing because that's not our culture, but man it scares me to death that it only takes 1 kid to do something that can completely ruin a season.
tincup1215
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:Whichever coach wrote that article should be ashamed, embarrassed, and resign.  What a joke.  Things that are allowed to happen while supervised, set the culture.  What they do in unsupervised time (no coaches/teachers) is not the fault of the school, but it may be an extension of what's allowed.  

+1

19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum