The end of things

Go down

The end of things

Post by #35 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:31 pm

I have been a student assistant on high school varsity teams, but have never played on any. I also think differently than others, as some of you may know, so sometimes I may not understand the "usual" perspectives on routine things.

One thing that I have been wrapping my head around lately, with the conclusion of the fall sports season, is trying to understand the grieving process of a season-ending loss. I was a journalist by the time I was a senior, so I never got to take in the "it's over" feeling that seniors face at the end of their seasons. I've covered so many crying tears in postgame interviews, and realize that it is a big deal for them.

I've dealt with tragedy before. It sucks. I guess I would like to know what makes a season-ending loss equivalent to a tragedy? Have season-ending crying tears always been a part of high school sports; if not, when/why did it start? It seems to me as if it didn't used to be this way at some point. Are kids taking the feeling better, worse, or the same as they did a generation ago, and why the changes?

Only as adults do we fully understand that there is more to life than "ball," and that, perhaps, the end of sports participation is among death and taxes as guarantees in life. Solo piano outro included.

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: The end of things

Post by ging on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:15 pm

#35 wrote: I guess I would like to know what makes a season-ending loss equivalent to a tragedy?

in my opinion, it's not the same as a tragedy. not even close. however, what IS similar is the sudden, perhaps unexpected end to something that you thought would last longer. maybe even something you KNEW would end soon but denied, in your own mind, that the end would ever come. and it seems to be worse for seniors, many of whom will never play that sport competitively again.
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Especially high school football.

There are still competitive outlets for playing baseball and basketball later in life but for the vast majority of high school football players, they will never again put on shoulder pads and a helmet after their last game. There is a cold finality to that.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by niewi 24 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:14 am

I would say the realization that you now have to pay to get into the game as opposed to being part of the attraction. Not being able to do what you envisioned as something of celebrity status from when you were a little kid watching the older guys do anymore. Knowing that the random dude that you line up in the defensive huddle with is a guy that you will never have a connection with ever again. Thatís what makes it so hard.
niewi 24
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down