Chambana Sports

Go down

Chambana Sports

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 am

With all the football games being moved to Saturdays, usually in the morning and now this story, I have to ask- What the hell is going on in Champaign/Urbana High Schools that is causing this?

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/2018-10-10/six-team-boys-basketball-tournament-canceled.html

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2018-09-16/has-violence-turned-friday-night-lights.html
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Re: Chambana Sports

Post by OldTitan on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am

Shootings over the last few months have prompted the moves out of fear of further violence. It really is that simple. Central is having a decent season despite the disruptions.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm

OldTitan wrote:Shootings over the last few months have prompted the moves out of fear of further violence. It really is that simple. Central is having a decent season despite the disruptions.

A lot of it stems from the incident with Danville last year and the fear of retaliation on both sides. Also, the increase in crime and gang activity in Champaign does help the cause. Most of Champaign and Urbana are safe but there are pockets in both towns that seem to get worse everytime I go down there. Danville also is starting to have it's share of issues as well.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 pm

dusty7 wrote:
OldTitan wrote:Shootings over the last few months have prompted the moves out of fear of further violence. It really is that simple. Central is having a decent season despite the disruptions.

A lot of it stems from the incident with Danville last year and the fear of retaliation on both sides.  Also, the increase in crime and gang activity in Champaign does help the cause.  Most of Champaign and Urbana are safe but there are pockets in both towns that seem to get worse everytime I go down there.  Danville also is starting to have it's share of issues as well.  

was it high school kids from danville that did the shooting? or just a random neighborhood shooting?
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Not sure if it was ever officially solved, but a buddy on the Danville PD confirmed it was townies from D-Vegas. Not Students, but rather some of the non-attendees that go to games.

And I would agree that Danville is really sketchy and seems to be only getting worse. I really try to keep my trips there to a minimum and encourage my wife and daughter to do the same.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Is this part of some larger turf war, or what? I guess I'm just sort of interested in why this is suddenly a problem. It's not like the demographics of those two cities has changed suddenly, recently. Is it linked to the ongoing spike in violence in Chicago?
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:02 pm

In the last decade, more subsidized housing occupants have been spread out over the eastern part of the state as Chicago has decreased their projects. Crime and gun violence in Chicago is some of the worst in the nation. As that attitude and lifestyle has spread, plus an overall lack of moral compass in our nation, you get the results you are seeing in C-U. It is not just there. The aforementioned Danville, Rantoul, Decatur, Mattoon/Charleston, and other places have felt the effects. Rarely will we go "out" in C-U anymore. Speaking with my friends on the Champaign PD and County Sheriff, there is a real lack of what to do. They make arrests, and very few of these crimes are ever prosecuted. The State's Attorney (save that topic for another day) and local "community leaders" are prone to plea bargains, deals, or using mustachioed counsel to get them off. Many of the witnesses won't talk (Snitches get stitches!) and choose to retaliate and escalate. There is no deterrent.

That, my friend, is what's going on in C-U. It's sad since I've lived 40+ years of my life in that area.

SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:In the last decade, more subsidized housing occupants have been spread out over the eastern part of the state as Chicago has decreased their projects.  Crime and gun violence in Chicago is some of the worst in the nation.  As that attitude and lifestyle has spread, plus an overall lack of moral compass in our nation, you get the results you are seeing in C-U.  It is not just there.  The aforementioned Danville, Rantoul, Decatur, Mattoon/Charleston, and other places have felt the effects.  Rarely will we go "out" in C-U anymore.  Speaking with my friends on the Champaign PD and County Sheriff, there is a real lack of what to do.  They make arrests, and very few of these crimes are ever prosecuted.  The State's Attorney (save that topic for another day) and local "community leaders" are prone to plea bargains, deals, or using mustachioed counsel to get them off.  Many of the witnesses won't talk (Snitches get stitches!) and choose to retaliate and escalate.  There is no deterrent.  

That, my friend, is what's going on in C-U.  It's sad since I've lived 40+ years of my life in that area.

if that affects springfield getting a portillo's, then i'm going to get involved! bastards!
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Decatur crime has actually decreased, but that's because fewer people live here.

+1 SIFB
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 am

general maximus wrote:Not sure if it was ever officially solved, but a buddy on the Danville PD confirmed it was townies from D-Vegas.  Not Students, but rather some of the non-attendees that go to games.

And I would agree that Danville is really sketchy and seems to be only getting worse.  I really try to keep my trips there to a minimum and encourage my wife and daughter to do the same.  

I can safely say that in my entire life I never stepped foot in Danville. Guess I won't be going there anytime soon!
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:38 am

While we are talking Chambana - what's the best steakhouse nearby? Dad's Day at U of I is coming and I need reservations.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 am

How is Hamilton Walker - the menu looks decent.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:23 pm

crusader wrote:How is Hamilton Walker - the menu looks decent.

Solid, not amazing. Baxter's is pretty good. Skip Alexander's - has really gone down hill.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:40 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:In the last decade, more subsidized housing occupants have been spread out over the eastern part of the state as Chicago has decreased their projects.  Crime and gun violence in Chicago is some of the worst in the nation.  As that attitude and lifestyle has spread, plus an overall lack of moral compass in our nation, you get the results you are seeing in C-U.  It is not just there.  The aforementioned Danville, Rantoul, Decatur, Mattoon/Charleston, and other places have felt the effects.  Rarely will we go "out" in C-U anymore.  Speaking with my friends on the Champaign PD and County Sheriff, there is a real lack of what to do.  They make arrests, and very few of these crimes are ever prosecuted.  The State's Attorney (save that topic for another day) and local "community leaders" are prone to plea bargains, deals, or using mustachioed counsel to get them off.  Many of the witnesses won't talk (Snitches get stitches!) and choose to retaliate and escalate.  There is no deterrent.  

That, my friend, is what's going on in C-U.  It's sad since I've lived 40+ years of my life in that area.

Overall violent ( Criminal Homicide, Criminal Sexual Assault, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, and Aggravated Battery) crime rate in Champaign and Urbana have gone down in the last 20 years according to Illinois State Police’s Crime in Illinois report. There are areas of C-U to avoid at certain hours, but overall it remains a safe community.

I'm not surprised your police officer friends complain about prosecutions - it's what cops do. I'm an advocate for our police officers, but frankly, those accusations ring false to me. Plea deals are part of every criminal prosecution's office - they have a budget and have to prioritize like everyone else.

Not dismissing the problems, but they are not a new trend.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:21 pm

You can never go wrong with the Ribeye.

If you get a chance Farrens is amazing. Small hole in the wall type place but really good.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm

dusty7 wrote:

If you get a chance Farrens is amazing.  Small hole in the wall type place but really good.
Farrens has been really good 2 of the 3 times I've been there. The 3 was kind of blah.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:18 pm

crusader wrote:While we are talking Chambana - what's the best steakhouse nearby? Dad's Day at U of I is coming and I need reservations.

this is the Chambana Sports thread. you want the Chambana Spots thread. Cool
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 pm

dusty7 wrote:

If you get a chance Farrens is amazing.  Small hole in the wall type place but really good.
Twin B and I went apple picking at a nearby orchard last week - drove by that place ... we both assumed it was closed, but that was midday. I see now that they are only open for dinner so that makes sense.

Looking at the menu ... it's aptly named! ONLY ribeye steaks! I have to decide between that and Hamilton Walker for Friday dinner before the hoops game.

I have Saturday food looked in - going back to the orchard for apple donuts and cider and bringing to the Twin B and roomies for breakfast at the Newman Catholic Center, then Dad's Day BBQ and whatever campus bar we end up at is where we will have "dinner."

Looked at Farrens - that will probably be lunch on Sunday before I go home.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:38 pm

OldTitan wrote:

Solid, not amazing. Baxter's is pretty good. Skip Alexander's - has really gone down hill.
Baxter's or Hamilton?

You pick.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:32 pm

crusader wrote:
OldTitan wrote:

Baxter's or Hamilton?

You pick.

If everyone is eating Beef - Baxter's. If someone want seafood - Hamilton. I eat beef - so I would choose Baxter's.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:22 am

Baxter's has the best steak. The Ribeye is second, but has the best salad bar (get the crab/pasta salad). Those should be your only 2 choices.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 am

OldTitan wrote:

Overall violent ( Criminal Homicide, Criminal Sexual Assault, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, and Aggravated Battery) crime rate in Champaign and Urbana have gone down in the last 20 years according to  Illinois State Police’s Crime in Illinois report. There are areas of C-U to avoid at certain hours, but overall it remains a safe community.

I'm not surprised your police officer friends complain about prosecutions - it's what cops do. I'm an advocate for our police officers, but frankly, those accusations ring false to me. Plea deals are part of every criminal prosecution's office - they have a budget and have to prioritize like everyone else.

Not dismissing the problems, but they are not a new trend.

I understand the pleas are part of the office, but violent gun crimes should not be plead down to no jail time. It's not just a cop complaint, as a former Champaign county citizen, those decisions bother me. There is no deterrent.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:45 am

Booked two for Baxter's - we are carnivores.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:08 am

crusader wrote:Booked two for Baxter's - we are carnivores.

ENJOY!
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:
crusader wrote:Booked two for Baxter's - we are carnivores.

ENJOY!
Had 4:30 reservations on Friday of Dad's Weekend - shocked that we were the first table seated, but it was full by the end of our meal.

Disinterested Parkland student (my guess) waiting on us ... I asked Twin B, who recently turned 20, if she wanted a drink - she wanted a foo-foo frozen thing. "I'm going to have my ID ready to show." Dude asked for her ID, she hands it to him, he glances, nods and hands it back. I ordered a Dank Meme draft ($2 off for happy hour.)

After he walked away, she looked up and said he did not look too bright, so I figured I'd just confuse him.

Drunken Mushrooms - missing the andouille sausage, just cheese filling that quickly congealed.

Nice Ceasar salad with ample fresh shaved parmesan cheese - but I had to crack my own pepper (the horror!).

Nice looking strip steaks - both cooked exactly to order (medium rare for her, bloody for me.) A touch too salty - at the start. That area might have been hit too heavily by Salt Bae ... nicely presented baked potato with rock salt crust. No dessert.

Bill was $80.xx and out the door with tip was $101.

Overall - good food, but the service lacked. Then again, I was in Champaign - not Rosemont.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down