#2 at #1 in 5A

Go down

#2 at #1 in 5A

Post by Reggie on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:19 am

2017 5A runner-up # 2 Dunlap plays at #1 Washington this Friday. I do not expect this to be a game as Washington appears head and shoulders above every large school team in the Peoria area. My preseason pick was Washington winning all conference games by 21+ points and I will not budge off that prediction this week.

Washington may be good enough to get to state if they stay 5A (they will be on the 5A/6A bubble) but like Dunlap last season I do not look for them to beat a team coming out of the northern bracket.
Reggie
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: #2 at #1 in 5A

Post by OldTitan on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 am

Reggie wrote:Washington may be good enough to get to state if they stay 5A (they will be on the 5A/6A bubble) but like Dunlap last season I do not look for them to beat a team coming out of the northern bracket.

With Phillips in 6A, if Washington stays healthy - I think they have a legit shot of hoisting the championship trophy. Of course, they whipped us - so my view may be skewed.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:58 am

i just can't see washington winning it all.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Washington is big and good from what I saw. They have studs in the right position and played some good team ball.

With that said, I thought they would beat a young (new) morris team by more. Although I do think Washington will win, I do not think they will win by 21+. I would expect a closer game that will be decided in the 4th if not a one possession game.

I could see either a dunlap or Washington making it out of the south. I am hoping this is sterlings year though, although I suspect jca and montini if they both make it to have a say in the north.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 14decoys on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Wilky, you mention Montini as 5A--Can someone school me on how the success factor works? I thought that a team that had played in a championship game in 2 of the last 4 years was moved up a class. Montini played in the championship game in 5A in 2014, and 6A in 2015. Doesn't that make them 6A??

14decoys

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:23 pm

14decoys wrote:Wilky, you mention Montini as 5A--Can someone school me on how the success factor works? I thought that a team that had played in a championship game in 2 of the last 4 years was moved up a class. Montini played in the championship game in 5A in 2014, and 6A in 2015. Doesn't that make them 6A??

I believe the success factor doesn't apply here because the championship appearances you mention wern't both for the same class.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 14decoys on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:24 pm

OK.....I didn't know that class mattered.

14decoys

Back to top Go down

Post by illinipete on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:25 pm

Hoping Sterling goes south like I was last year but that didn't work!
illinipete
I Pete my Pants

Back to top Go down

Post by 14decoys on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:26 pm

illinipete wrote:Hoping Sterling goes south like I was last year but that didn't work!

I don't see that happening

14decoys

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghengis Khan on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:21 am

OSUBucks wrote:
14decoys wrote:Wilky, you mention Montini as 5A--Can someone school me on how the success factor works? I thought that a team that had played in a championship game in 2 of the last 4 years was moved up a class. Montini played in the championship game in 5A in 2014, and 6A in 2015. Doesn't that make them 6A??

I believe the success factor doesn't apply here because the championship appearances you mention wern't both for the same class.

Doesn't that seem kind of stupid? They made it in their class AND a class UP, but you won't face the penalty since it was different classes.. To me getting there in 6A is even more of an accomplishment and shows even more "success".

Not saying the success factor rule is right or wrong, but if we are truly bumping teams up for being successful, I don't understand how a championship game in 5A and 6A isn't more (or at the very least just as) successful as a championship game in 5A two years in a row.

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 14decoys on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:40 am

Ghengis Khan wrote:
OSUBucks wrote:

Doesn't that seem kind of stupid? They made it in their class AND a class UP, but you won't face the penalty since it was different classes.. To me getting there in 6A is even more of an accomplishment and shows even more "success".

Not saying the success factor rule is right or wrong, but if we are truly bumping teams up for being successful, I don't understand how a championship game in 5A and 6A isn't more (or at the very least just as) successful as a championship game in 5A two years in a row. †

Yeah I agree. I went to the IHSA website and see that under "How Playoff Teams Are Determined" they list IC, SH Griffen, and Naz as schools that have a success factor for 2018. Montini is not listed. But, under "playoff outlook" they show Montini in 6A with an asterisk for success factor. So the IHSA shows it both ways at the same time.

14decoys

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 pm

This whole success factor rule has been confusing. The IHSA is to blame. When they originally described the rule to the public in a press release they got it wrong. Now they canít get it right on their website.

They should just drop the whole thing. It was stupid to begin with. If they are truly trying to bump up teams for being too successful, it ought to apply to everyone.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum