Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does the first day in pads mean what it used to?

+3
19delta
net
center
7 posters

Go down

Does the first day in pads mean what it used to?  Empty Does the first day in pads mean what it used to?

Post by center Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Not long ago football practice started on a Wednesday and had three days of helmet only practice. Then Saturday was the first day of full pads and for coaches was one of the most exciting (or depressing) days of the year.

Now with practice starting on a Monday and having three days of shells already, full pad Saturday doesn’t seem to mean as much.

It has been a long week for players and coaches already. You can do quite a bit in shells and probably wore them in the summer anyway.

Any other coaches see it this way?

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Does the first day in pads mean what it used to?  Empty Re: Does the first day in pads mean what it used to?

Post by net Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:10 pm

i don't know. starting my 30th year of coaching i've kind of taught myself to ignore things i really have no control of. sorry for the dangling preposition.
net
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Does the first day in pads mean what it used to?  Empty Re: Does the first day in pads mean what it used to?

Post by 19delta Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Our boys practiced from 4-7pm this evening. Plan is to have them get cleaned up, feed them some pizza, watch a football movie, and then take the field at 12:01am for the first full-contact practice under the lights on the game field. Practice to 2am, go home and sleep for a couple hours and then come back and go from 11am to 1pm.

Should be pretty cool. I give our HC credit for trying to do something to get the boys excited.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:02 pm

19delta wrote:Our boys practiced from 4-7pm this evening. Plan is to have them get cleaned up, feed them some pizza, watch a football movie, and then take the field at 12:01am for the first full-contact practice under the lights on the game field. Practice to 2am, go home and sleep for a couple hours and then come back and go from 11am to 1pm.

Should be pretty cool. I give our HC credit for trying to do something to get the boys excited.
Doesn't that violate the amount of time you must give off between practices? (The 7pm-12am turnaround)
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
19delta wrote:Our boys practiced from 4-7pm this evening. Plan is to have them get cleaned up, feed them some pizza, watch a football movie, and then take the field at 12:01am for the first full-contact practice under the lights on the game field. Practice to 2am, go home and sleep for a couple hours and then come back and go from 11am to 1pm.

Doesn't that violate the amount of time you must give off between practices? (The 7pm-12am turnaround)

I don't know. I'm not a coach. How much time are they supposed to have between practices?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 pm

I was under the impression it was 7 hours. At least that was what I remembered. We just went to 1 practice for coop reasons before the heat stuff came in anyway, so I didn't commit it to wrote memory.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 pm

The IHSA isn't real clear, but I think you're fine. They only mention 2 hours between practices, but the only mention walk throughs as the 2nd practice. I would imagine your fine on omission alone.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:15 am

That 11am practice is going to be rough.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:19 am

center wrote:Any other coaches see it this way?  

Yes. We are having a tailgate and a scripted scrimmage to try and bring back some of that excitement.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:27 pm

I agree that starting on Monday and having 3 days of shells has killed what we used to call Christmas. We used to make a big deal of it and the kids got into it too. One year I wore a Santa hat and a kid brought me a present and we'd smack the hell out of one another. Then, two years later everyone was tired of practice and hitting by Christmas. Today was the 3rd straight year I've been in a different program and it just gets weaker every year.

In retrospect, we shouldn't have added the 2 days.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am

Our midnight practice went really well. Team took the field at 12:01am under the lights on the game field and practiced for an hour and a half. Kids were very enthusiastic...lots of hooting and hollering and good-natured grabass. When they got around to hitting, it was awesome. Lots of intensity and great efforts. Lots of shouting and cheering by teammates.

It was a lot of fun. I hope they do it again.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:54 am

We use the first 4 days to teach and get as many guys as many reps as we can then treat Sat as our first scrimmage. We do some tackling drills, scrimmage, then use Sat as a way to set our depth chart for week 0

The intensity isn't the same as it was which wr all loved as players and coaches but kids are different these days. Of course you have a few kids who love thr physical side of football but not near as many as there used to be.
dusty7
dusty7
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Great posts. Thanks.

One thing that helped break up that first week with smaller rosters was to use one of the shells days (Thursday or Friday) as a change up.

All levels get a lift and use it as a day to get special teams installed that we needed to get in. Teaching and a little less physical.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum