Turk's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sauk Valley News football preview?

5 posters

Go down

Sauk Valley News football preview? Empty Sauk Valley News football preview?

Post by 19delta Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:09 am

Anyone know when the football preview edition for the Sauk Valley News is coming out? How the Freeport Journal-Standard or Rockford Register-Star?
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Sauk Valley News football preview? Empty Re: Sauk Valley News football preview?

Post by center Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:23 am

Sauk Valley typically comes out the Thursday before the first game.

They usually do a quick preview of 1-2 teams each day leading up to that.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:52 pm

i'm curious to see the preseason all-area team and how many kids from (insert class 1a team here) are on it.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:04 pm

ging wrote:i'm curious to see the preseason all-area team and how many kids from (insert class 1a team here) are on it.

I rarely read that paper and that is one of the reasons. Spread the wealth around the area and rarely pick the best players on their all area teams.

It does make good kindling for starting fires.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:11 pm

I didn't know they did a pre-season team.
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:45 pm

center wrote:
ging wrote:i'm curious to see the preseason all-area team and how many kids from (insert class 1a team here) are on it.

I rarely read that paper and that is one of the reasons.  Spread the wealth around the area and rarely pick the best players on their all area teams.

i think their coverage of local sports in this area is very good, but this ^ is the biggest gripe i have.  the all-area teams and player of the year selections (in all sports) leave a lot to be desired.  year after year it appears that all local teams and athletes are graded on the same scale. the reality is there is a HUGE difference between playing a 5a schedule and a 1a schedule, for example. but that doesn't seem to be factored in.

heck, newman had a football player last year who made class 2a first team all STATE.  he was a second team all-area selection by the local paper.  the sports department's credibility takes a big hit when something like that happens. and don't get me started on the all-area basketball team. Evil or Very Mad
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:25 pm

ging wrote:
center wrote:

I rarely read that paper and that is one of the reasons.  Spread the wealth around the area and rarely pick the best players on their all area teams.

i think their coverage of local sports in this area is very good, but this ^ is the biggest gripe i have.  the all-area teams and player of the year selections (in all sports) leave a lot to be desired.  year after year it appears that all local teams and athletes are graded on the same scale. the reality is there is a HUGE difference between playing a 5a schedule and a 1a schedule, for example. but that doesn't seem to be factored in.

heck, newman had a football player last year who made class 2a first team all STATE.  he was a second team all-area selection by the local paper.  the sports department's credibility takes a big hit when something like that happens.   and don't get me started on the all-area basketball team. Evil or Very Mad
Not that I care, but the All State team is pretty much BS half the time. I've seen at least 3 kids who weren't all conference end up all state.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:47 am

Head Idiot wrote:
Not that I care, but the All State team is pretty much BS half the time.  I've seen at least 3 kids who weren't all conference end up all state.

there's no denying that "politics" and personal biases sometimes come in to play with these types of things.
ging
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 pm

ging wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Not that I care, but the All State team is pretty much BS half the time.  I've seen at least 3 kids who weren't all conference end up all state.

there's no denying that "politics" and personal biases sometimes come in to play with these types of things.
I was once told in the selection committee that I got to sit in on in 2011 by a HOF coach that my player wasn't All State material because he wasn't biggest enough.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 pm

About 10 years ago, we had a guy make an All-Area team as an offensive lineman. Which is great except for the fact that he only played offensive line for 3 games.

He must have kicked some serious ass those 3 games! Very Happy
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 pm

19delta wrote:About 10 years ago, we had a guy make an All-Area team as an offensive lineman. Which is great except for the fact that he only played offensive line for 3 games.

He must have kicked some serious ass those 3 games! Very Happy
My sr year we had a guard win All conference and our team's OL MVP award despite being the guy we ran plays in  with (he and our other guard alternated every play to bring in the play).  He also missed 3 games due to injury.  So, all told, he probably only played 35% of the offensive plays.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by rink23 Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:32 pm

The paper I used to work for just confirmed, although it was long expected -- the Belleville News-Democrat -- that they will no longer cover live high school sports. The big issue is the paper is now being printed in Kansas City so deadline is 5 p.m., but their web site indicates few people read game stories anymore. However, they'll give you a link to a web site where you can maybe get living scoring and some stats.

rink23
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:56 pm

I don't know what it is about game stories, but they seem very terribly written anymore. Most of them are just a play by play of what happened. I can get that by reading a box score. I enjoy the stories that tell the story of how the game ended at that score.
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by rink23 Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Not sure what publications you are reading, but it could very well do with story deadline.
Back in the day, although not that long ago, a sports writer would have until 11 or even 11:15 p.m. to craft their story for a midnight Friday press run.
When I was writing last year, I had to have my story done by 10:30 for an 11:30 p.m. Friday press run, 9:45 for 11 p.m. on Saturdays.
That gives you very little time to craft a story, especially during football season when many games run past 10 p.m. Often, you're just scrambling to find a way to fill up your 12-15 inches before deadline.
It also has to do with the quality of the writer. Many of the top sports journalists have been forced out and all the smart young ones are staying as far away from print at possible.

rink23
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down