No Brainer for a Smart Kid?

Go down

No Brainer for a Smart Kid? Empty No Brainer for a Smart Kid?

Post by crusader on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am

Highland's Sam LaPorta was featured as the 29th ranked prospect in the STL area and this really stood out in the piece:

LaPorta has 10 scholarship offers. Among his suitors are Lindenwood, SIU Carbondale, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Brown and Yale.

If those schools want you, how could you NOT go Ivy League when your other options are directional state schools?

Classic case of "some of these things are not like the other."
crusader
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

No Brainer for a Smart Kid? Empty Re: No Brainer for a Smart Kid?

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am

Am I incorrect in believing the Ivy League didn't offer scholarships?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:56 am

I think so, based only on the copy/pasted text from the article:
LaPorta has 10 scholarship offers. Among his suitors are Lindenwood, SIU Carbondale, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Brown and Yale.
crusader
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:03 am

The article is misleading. The Ivy League cannot offer athletic scholarship. Assuming LaPorta's family has an income under $125K, they can still get most of that Ivy League tuition covered in grants. However, it is not a free education.

Athletics is a way into Ivy League schools, but not a way to pay for them. Academic requirements for Ivy league football players are slightly lower than the rest of the student population.

So two reasons he might turn down the Ivy League:
1. Long way from home; and
2. Probably between $6K - $12K per year in college expenses. More if his parents make more than $125K per year.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:10 am

OldTitan wrote:The article is misleading. The Ivy League cannot offer athletic scholarship. Assuming LaPorta's family has an income under $125K, they can still get most of that Ivy League tuition covered in grants. However, it is not a free education.

Athletics is a way into Ivy League schools, but not a way to pay for them. Academic requirements for Ivy league football players are slightly lower than the rest of the student population.

2. Probably between $6K - $12K per year in college expenses. More if his parents make more than $125K per year.

I would say that is a bargain for an Ivy League education!
19delta
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:14 am

19delta wrote:
OldTitan wrote:The article is misleading. The Ivy League cannot offer athletic scholarship. Assuming LaPorta's family has an income under $125K, they can still get most of that Ivy League tuition covered in grants. However, it is not a free education.

I would say that is a bargain for an Ivy League education!

No doubt. My daughter is applying to the Ivy League schools and if she gets in it will save us money over her going to a BigTen school. Even in state tuition for Illinois would be considerably higher than what it will cost us to send her to Penn or Columbia.
OldTitan
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:45 am

My daughter ate at Penn Station Subs last week. Is that the same?
Head Idiot
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:56 am

If I could get the girls educated at $6k-$12k annually, that would be wonderful! Hell, Twin A's Lincoln Park apartment (splitting it with another) costs more than my rent in Waukesha.

Then add in DePaul tuition ... glad the ex-FIL set enough money aside for them after he passed.

Twin B pays $11k to live at the Newman Center at U of I for only the school year!!!
crusader
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down