Urban Meyer- he gone!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Urban Meyer- he gone!!

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:14 pm

I mean, he has to be doesn't he? This is an institution that fired a guy because his players traded jerseys for tattoos. I can't see a way he keeps his job. Thoughts?
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Re: Urban Meyer- he gone!!

Post by dusty7 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:56 pm

I agree. Tattoos for jerseys is nothing compared to this scandal.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Is he the guy that was molesting those OSU wrestlers?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Teetime wrote:Is he the guy that was molesting those OSU wrestlers?
No, but it has been a banner month for the Buckeyes.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 am

Our Scandalous University......see ya Urban!
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 am

He beats Michigan all the time. Not getting fired for this.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Jim Tressel went 7-1 against the Wolverines.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:48 pm

I haven't posted on here for a while. I do have a few good sources in Columbus and passing on what I've heard. Meyer isn't going anywhere and will probably be reinstated by the end of the week is what I'm hearing. We'll know soon enough.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:50 pm

OSUBucks wrote:I haven't posted on here for a while. I do have a few good sources in Columbus and passing on what I've heard. Meyer isn't going anywhere and will probably be reinstated by the end of the week is what I'm hearing. We'll know soon enough.

i'd agree to that as well.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 pm

I really don't think you need any inside information to see where this ends. tOSU has done an excellent job of keeping the story out of the news for 48 hours. Worst case scenario for Meyer is that he gets suspended for a game or two. But I wouldn't bet on that. He will be back coaching by next week. I will be shocked if he isn't.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm

So, if this doesn't get you fired, what did Tressel do?
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Head Idiot wrote:So, if this doesn't get you fired, what did Tressel do?

My feeling is that Meyer has a lot more support among the power brokers at the school than Tressel did in 2011. Remember that the situation with Tressel resulted in tOSU having to forfeit the 2010 season and resulted in NCAA sanctions. The situation with Meyer probably won't result in any penalties from the NCAA.

I'm sure the feeling at the school is that this thing will blow over in a couple days.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 am

Now they are saying that the independent investigation will be completed within 2 weeks. If it's not over by the end of the week it shouldn't be much longer than that. What I'm hearing is that everything Meyer knew concerning Zack Smith's volatile relationship with his ex wife was forwarded to the proper channels at OSU. There's a lot of facts I've learned in the past week which aren't being reported by any of the news outlets I've seen. It seems that the media was calling for Meyer's head without even trying to get the facts. Whatever happened to reporters conducting solid research and vetting their sources before going live?
Delta makes a couple of good observations. There are no NCAA violations here. Meyer has much more support from not only the boosters and power brokers but from the OSU community in general than Tressel did. I could envision OSU wanting to suspend Meyer a couple of games for an apparent false statement made at Big 10 media day but the boosters will likely be pushing for no suspension.
This post on Reddit submitted by a lawyer shows numerous inaccuracies in Brett McMurphys's original report. It's a longer read than most will want to wade through.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OhioStateFootball/comments/94t19c/crosspost_from_rcfb_a_lawyers_deep_dive_into/
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:47 am

As I read that lawyer’s post.....he starts out saying he was eating a lot of crow and editing his post as he became aware of bad “facts” he was using initially.

The lawyer’s gripe is that the original story came from the unemployed writer Brett McSomething who posted the big original story to his Facebook page and who has edited his story multiple times as he learned his initial facts were mistaken without letting everyone know he was changing the story. The OSU administration found itself trying to form a defense against a moving target.

Does that sound like a fair summation, OSU?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:25 am

America these days is a 'guilty until proven innocent' which is driven 100% by the media. They love dragging people through the mud and after a proper investigation and the truth comes out they have already moved on to a new story. No one is talking about the wrestling issue at OSU anymore.

I do not see Urban getting out of this clean. A 1-2 game suspension along with having to tell his side of the story at some point.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Meyer continued to employ a guy who has a well-documented history of domestic abuse. Either he knew about it and looked the other way or he created a culture in which people tried to keep that knowledge from him. Neither reflects positively on Meyer.

I've never liked the guy. He has always struck me as someone who was willing to cut corners...the end always justified the means.

I don't necessarily think he should be fired for lying or even for employing a bad guy like Zach Smith. But it is certainly fair to criticize him.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Did you here the one about the Feminist Picnic?

Got canceled because no one would make the sandwiches.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Courtney Smith, Zach Smith's ex wife, definitely had some issues. She made sixty six 911 calls requesting the police in regards to her ex husband. On none of those occasions did the police find cause to arrest Zach Smith. There were multiple calls in which Courtney claimed that Zach was stalking her, following her in his car. The police were well aware of who Zach was and when receiving these type of calls they would dispatch an officer in the vicinity of the OSU practice facility to see if Zach was there and would find him there. I think as a result of these situations she lost credibility with the police.
Last month Zach had the kids with him. When it was time to return the kids to the usual meeting place Courtney wasn't there. They had a regular meeting place to exchange the kids because of a protection order Courtney had against Zach he was prohibited from going to her house. Courtney did not show up and didn't answer her phone when Zach tried to reach her. Zach then drove the kids over to her house. Courtney was there phone in hand and took a picture of Zach on the premises. Zach should not have gone over there and was charged by the police for violation of the protection order and was then fired by Meyer. This was the first occasion that Zach had actually been charged. Courtney Smith had not worked in the past 6-7 years. She was living off the child support checks she was receiving from Zach. Given Zach's $400k annual salary she was probably getting a decent monthly check. Now Zach is out of work because of the trap she set for him which he fell right in to. Maybe her angle is to sue the University, who knows. Did Zach ever lay his hands on his wife? I can't say for sure but I believe he did.
Zach Smith is an arrogant asshole. Many OSU people have wanted him gone for the past couple years. Back in early July at an OSU camp there was an Ohio HS coach who approached Smith about one of his players and Zach just blew the guy off, wouldn't even give the guy a minute of his time. That's just one example of what kind of a guy he was. Zach was a good recruiter but a below average position coach (WR coach). Zach was Earl Bruce's grandson. I don't think he would have ever been on staff if not for that reason. Earl Bruce was like a second father to Meyer, gave him his first college coaching job. The timing may just be coincidental but Earl passed away on April 20 of this year. Could be that Meyer didn't want to fire Zach as long as Earl was around but after he passed Zach was on a short leash with Meyer. Again this is just speculation on my part.
Just giving you guys a little more background on this situation.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

That rally they had yesterday at the Horseshoe will obviously weigh heavily in the OSU decision...
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:06 pm

Head Idiot wrote:That rally they had yesterday at the Horseshoe will obviously weigh heavily in the OSU decision...

of the 100 or so protesters there, it's likely that less than 5% of them were OSU grads. however, it's also likely that over 50% of them have a dog named brutus.
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 pm

ging wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:That rally they had yesterday at the Horseshoe will obviously weigh heavily in the OSU decision...

of the 100 or so protesters there, it's likely that less than 5% of them were OSU grads.  however, it's also likely that over 50% of them have a dog named brutus.

Right, I saw about 30 seconds of the video and the guy at the microphone didn't know the words of Carmen Ohio which all Buckeye fans know. There were definitely some knuckleheads in attendance judging from some signs that I saw. Rolling Eyes
The situation with Meyer is still fluid, the investigation is still ongoing. As of today I still think he stays on but I would not be stunned if he's gone. There are at least a few folks with a voice in this that want him gone even if he did keep his superiors informed of everything he knew. With the timing of this with the Me Too movement there are some who want to make a big statement with this and have Meyer fired. One source is saying that he thinks both Meyer and Gene Smith will be gone. Other sources continue to say that Meyer is staying. There's another element in this. If Meyer is fired without just cause as per the terms in his contract he would sue OSU. If he wins the University would be on the hook for the remainder of his contract, which runs through 2022. The University would have a payout to a guy who is no longer their coach for close to $38 million. The University has a lot of resources but I don't think they can handle that. They would also have to find a new HC. In that event my guess is that it would be their OC/QB coach Ryan Day, who is an up and comer in the coaching profession.

Last edited by OSUBucks on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:15 pm

4 +1's osu. i'm just glad urban hasn't used the words 'witch hunt' yet.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:34 pm

I know a coach who did keep his superiors informed of everything he knew and not only did he get fired, but he's pretty much a pariah in the game now...
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:36 pm

net wrote:4 +1's osu. i'm just glad urban hasn't used the words 'witch hunt' yet.
He did apparently respond with a "I don't know who would make up a story like that" at media day when questioned about it. All questions he has since admitted to knowing the answers to.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:25 pm

He gone.

For 3 games. A somewhat surprising decision given the overall environment we're in given university politics and the me too movement, but it is what it is.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next