Last Chance U Season 3

Go down

Last Chance U Season 3

Post by tincup1215 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Who's watched it this year? On the Twitterverse, I've seen many coaches not happy about it. That they are portrayed as constantly swearing and belittling the athletes. The swearing was non-stop, but I didn't feel that any of the coaches belittled any of the athletes. The HC did constantly bring up that their job is to get the kids to graduate from CC and have the tools to graduate a 4 year University, not to win football games. He could have just been saying that, but my BS meter never really went off.

I liked this season much more than season 2 when they were at East Mississippi.

tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Re: Last Chance U Season 3

Post by OldTitan on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm halfway through it.

There is no question it reflects poorly on coaches.

It is good drama. I just cannot believe people tolerate coaches like this.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:36 am

Good story/drama no doubt. I don't think it reflects poorly on High School Football coaches though.
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 am

tincup1215 wrote:Good story/drama no doubt. †I don't think it reflects poorly on High School Football coaches though. †
You're also an intelligent, rational human being that can discern between a dramatized, somewhat fictionalized "reality" show and the realities of HS football. Most, or at least a very vocal minority, of people we deal with can't do that. They expect that what happens on Saturdays and Sundays on TV is exactly what happens at our level.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:05 am

Coach had NO PROBLEM with being tipsy and getting interviewed.

I can't believe how mentally weak some of those players are.

The QB needs an ass whipping ... but he probably knows X/Os better than the coach.

Coach is a poor play caller.

The "improvement" of grades for the LB - that the Teacher Lady gushed about - was comical. A few grades in the 60s and I THINK one in the 30s ... and then Teacher Lady's class has him at 86 ... really???

I guess it did not matter as he was picked up for a felony after the school year.

What this show taught me is that JUCO of this kind is a waste. Teach those kids a trade instead of football.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 am

I agree with the original post to an extent. I'm not easily offended by swearing and even then I've had several "Wow" moments at some of the things said. But, I'm not necessarily seeing the "trainwreck" that several people on social media described either. Their conference is good enough to where there has to be at least some legitimate coaching going on for them to escape that schedule with only two losses.

wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:17 am

As far as the players go, my brother coaches at a D1 JUCO in Nebraska. He describes the attitudes of the featured players as an extreme example, yet also somewhat accurate of what you have to deal with at this level.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:13 am

I have read several interviews with Jason Brown since viewing season 3. My takeaway is that he is far more self-aware than Buddy Stephens from EMCC. Stephens has the attitude that EMCC's success is mostly due to his knowledge of football and coaching ability, not the talent. He strikes me as the kind of guy who would start a clinic talk by saying, "We have the same guys you do" to all the coaches in the audience. 🙄

Brown is pretty much the exact opposite. I read numerous interviews with him in which he said some version of, "I don't teach these guys nothing about Xs and Os. It's my job to go out and find the most talented players." What I like about Brown, if you can get past the vulgarity, is that he knows exactly who he is and doesn't pretend to be some kind of guru or savant.

Now, with that being said, I would never want to coach in a program like that! 😂
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am

wolverine55 wrote:As far as the players go, my brother coaches at a D1 JUCO in Nebraska. †He describes the attitudes of the featured players as an extreme example, yet also somewhat accurate of what you have to deal with at this level.

How is JUCO football organized? I didn't know there were different divisions. I'm assuming that schools like EMCC and ICC are at the JUCO D-1 level?
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:24 am

OldTitan wrote:I'm halfway through it.

There is no question it reflects poorly on coaches.

It is good drama. I just cannot believe people tolerate coaches like this.

That was my initial thought back in season 1. I remember thinking, how can the EMCC administration and board sign off on this? Buddy Stephens reflected so poorly on what is supposed to be an institution of higher learning...I could not fathom that the leaders of the school would tolerate such bad behavior from an employee.

But then I realized that without all the controversy and drama, EMCC would still be unknown to masses. The series led to EMCC getting national recognition.

I guess it is true that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 am

keeping in mind that the footage is edited to tell a story and cast certain people in a certain light, i find it comical when the qb coach (frank) tries to discipline malik (the prima donna qb transfer from florida state). †dude, who are you crappin?!

this is my least favorite of the 3 seasons so far. †coach brown's schtick gets old quick. you can only drop F bombs so many times before they lose their impact.

oh, and i think coach brown is from compton, but i'm not sure. Razz
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:43 am

I couldnít believe a lot of the assistants donít get paid. Free room and board in a dorm doesnít cover the amount of the time they put in
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:00 pm

19delta wrote:
wolverine55 wrote:As far as the players go, my brother coaches at a D1 JUCO in Nebraska. †He describes the attitudes of the featured players as an extreme example, yet also somewhat accurate of what you have to deal with at this level.

How is JUCO football organized? I didn't know there were different divisions. I'm assuming that schools like EMCC and ICC are at the JUCO D-1 level?

I am also curious as to what a d1 juco was? I have never heard that term

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 pm

i know that juco basketball is split into 3 divisions, much like ncaa. i assume juco football is the same.

http://njcaa.org/member_colleges/Divisional_Structure
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:59 pm

The NJCAA is not a true national champion. There are two major community college football organizations and NJCAA is actually the smaller one. There were 65 football programs in the NJCAA in 2017 and five of those are dropping football this season. Football at the Community College level has been dying a long slow death.

I believe College of DuPage is the last community college in Illinois to have a football program.

Most of these NJCAA football community colleges are concentrated around Mississippi, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, and Arizona. There are 68 community college football programs in California and they have their own association.

As I recall, the California schools were a pipeline of QB talent for Mike White at Illinois in the 80's.

There are different levels of JUCO in other sports, but I am not sure about football.

Finally, I do wonder about the value of such a program at the community college level and whether it is a benefit for their educational mission.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:30 pm

OldTitan wrote:The NJCAA is not a true national champion. There are two major community college football organizations and NJCAA is actually the smaller one. There were 65 football programs in the NJCAA in 2017 and five of those are dropping football this season. Football at the Community College level has been dying a long slow death.

I believe College of DuPage is the last community college in Illinois to have a football program.

Most of these NJCAA football community colleges are concentrated around Mississippi, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, and Arizona. There are 68 community college football programs in California and they have their own association.

As I recall, the California schools were a pipeline of QB talent for Mike White at Illinois in the 80's.

There are different levels of JUCO in other sports, but I am not sure about football.

Finally, I do wonder about the value of such a program at the community college level and whether it is a benefit for their educational mission.

Yeah. About 20 years ago, I think there was even a JUCO conference in and around Illinois. COD, Harper College, Joliet JC, Rock Valley CC...probably a few more...all had football teams. I believe that COD might have won a national championship or two. I remember the COD football program being controversial because they didn't have a single Ilinois player on the roster.

COD eliminated the football program for several years before bringing it back. I seem to remember reading something about COD having to have a certain number of players from Illinois now.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:02 pm

I actually didn't know the exact breakdown of how it's organized but ging provided the link. Basically, in basketball, your D1 JUCOs are going to be the name programs that consistently have 5-6 players a year transfer to D1 NCAA schools. Indian Hills in Ottumwa Iowa and SCC in Burlington, Iowa are two of the name ones in the midwest. I know John Wood in Quincy and Danville in Illinois are D2 JUCOs.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:16 pm

19delta wrote:Yeah. About 20 years ago, I think there was even a JUCO conference in and around Illinois. COD, Harper College, Joliet JC, Rock Valley CC...probably a few more...all had football teams. I believe that COD might have won a national championship or two. I remember the COD football program being controversial because they didn't have a single Ilinois player on the roster.

even peoria area, ivcc, had a successful juco back in mid 'the 80's. lots of peoria, bloomington and rural area kids made up the team.

Last edited by net on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i'm dumb.)
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:15 pm

for the record, ivcc is in oglesby, near lasalle peru.

ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:52 am

ging wrote:for the record, ivcc is in oglesby, near lasalle peru.

oops. i realize my error on the ivcc thing. Embarassed †i still thought they played in peoria. Crying or Very sad
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:37 am

net wrote:
ging wrote:for the record, ivcc is in oglesby, near lasalle peru.

oops. i realize my error on the ivcc thing. Embarassed †i still thought they played in peoria. Crying or Very sad

Illinois Central CC is in/near Peoria.
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down