What's more impressive?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's more impressive?

Post by dusty7 on Thu May 17, 2018 1:16 pm

So in a local paper today that Herscher is playing in its 24th straight Regional Final in baseball this weekend. A co-worker and I were talking about our streak of 22 straight playoff appearances and it got me thinking, which streak is more impressive? Also, what other impressive streaks are out there?
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: What's more impressive?

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu May 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Both are really impressive but If I have to choose I am going with Regez and Herscher baseball. It just takes on bad day and you could be done. They also had a few years in 3A as one of the smaller teams and not only go to the regional but did some damage. Eric started his teaching and coaching career with us before moving on to Herscher. Our baseball Coach lasted just one more year after Regez took the Herscher job. Makes one wonder what might of been if he stayed
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu May 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:Both are really impressive but If I have to choose I am going with Regez and Herscher baseball.  It just takes on bad day and you could be done.  They also had a few years in 3A as one of the smaller teams and not only go to the regional but did some damage.  Eric started his teaching and coaching career with us before moving on to Herscher.  Our baseball Coach lasted just one more year after Regez took the Herscher job.  Makes one wonder what might of been if he stayed
For most top seeds, it only takes 1 win to get to the regional final. I'm going playoffs. If you look at number of schools competing, getting in the playoffs is the equivalent of playing in a regional final. Getting to the second round is getting to the sectional. Playing in the quarters is equivalent to playing in the sectional final in baseball or basketball.

I think talent fluctuations play a larger role in football too. Even the powers have down cycles where barely getting into the playoffs is an accomplishment. Baseball doesn't seem to be as cyclical.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Both are very impressive. However, I think it is a bit easier to build a dynasty in non-football and basketball sports.

We won 9 Track & Field Cornbelt championships in a row when I was head coach. We won three Cornbelt Championships in football during the same period.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 pm

OldTitan wrote:Both are very impressive. However, I think it is a bit easier to build a dynasty in non-football and basketball sports.

We won 9 Track & Field Cornbelt championships in a row when I was head coach. We won three Cornbelt Championships in football during the same period.
How many Corn Belts in a row did the wrestling team win?
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu May 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Back when this run first started it was a 2 class system for Baseball and you would have an 8 team regional or close to it every year. Even though they are the head of the Class in this Era in Baseball the Kankakee area has had some pretty good programs other than Herscher. Like I said it takes just one loss to mess it up and the streak is over. You can lose 4 football games and make the playoffs. Also look at Wilmington since the split of divisions has played in the Small against the likes of Dwight, Seneca, Reed Custer, Lisle. Not that they couldnt handle playing the big boys as they have many of times through crossover games and done just fine.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu May 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
OldTitan wrote:Both are very impressive. However, I think it is a bit easier to build a dynasty in non-football and basketball sports.

How many Corn Belts in a row did the wrestling team win?

Surprisingly, Olympia broke their streaks a couple of times. It was still an impressive number overall.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri May 18, 2018 9:00 am

Head Idiot wrote:
Bighitter11 wrote:Both are really impressive but If I have to choose I am going with Regez and Herscher baseball.  It just takes on bad day and you could be done.  They also had a few years in 3A as one of the smaller teams and not only go to the regional but did some damage.  Eric started his teaching and coaching career with us before moving on to Herscher.  Our baseball Coach lasted just one more year after Regez took the Herscher job.  Makes one wonder what might of been if he stayed
For most top seeds, it only takes 1 win to get to the regional final.  I'm going playoffs.  If you look at number of schools competing, getting in the playoffs is the equivalent of playing in a regional final.  Getting to the second round is getting to the sectional.  Playing in the quarters is equivalent to playing in the sectional final in baseball or basketball.  

I agree with this 100%. It takes 5 or 6 wins to get to the playoffs. But I think we can all agree both are impressive streaks.

Didn't SJO have a streak of something like 25 straight years in the playoffs that just ended this year?
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 am

We just qualified a pole vaulter to the state meet for the 35th year in a row last night
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 am

tincup1215 wrote:We just qualified a pole vaulter to the state meet for the 35th year in a row last night

That's amazing.

Schools have pole vault tradition or they don't. You see the same schools at the state meet year after year in the pole vault and the throws. Kaneland is certainly one of those schools.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am

dusty7 wrote:

Didn't SJO have a streak of something like 25 straight years in the playoffs that just ended this year?

26 years. Unfortunate it had to end. I say that mostly, because I was the starting soph QB on the team that started that streak in 1991. After starting the year 0-3, Duval inserted me into the 4th game that season in the 4th quarter which allowed our then QB to move to TB, his best position. He scored twice and we won our first game of the season. We ran off 8 straight wins and went to Quarters losing to a massive Rushville team.

SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

26 years.  Unfortunate it had to end.  I say that mostly, because I was the starting soph QB on the team that started that streak in 1991.  After starting the year 0-3, Duval inserted me into the 4th game that season in the 4th quarter which allowed our then QB to move to TB, his best position.  He scored twice and we won our first game of the season. We ran off 8 straight wins and went to Quarters losing to a massive Rushville team.  

I remember some epic SJO and Monticello (my alma mater) in the past. Played and upset SJO my senior year.

I don't suspect that SJO will be down for long.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 am

dusty7 wrote:
SIFBCoach7 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

26 years.  Unfortunate it had to end.  I say that mostly, because I was the starting soph QB on the team that started that streak in 1991.  After starting the year 0-3, Duval inserted me into the 4th game that season in the 4th quarter which allowed our then QB to move to TB, his best position.  He scored twice and we won our first game of the season. We ran off 8 straight wins and went to Quarters losing to a massive Rushville team.  

I remember some epic SJO and Monticello (my alma mater) in the past.  Played and upset SJO my senior year.  

When was your Sr. year?
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather on Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 am

tincup1215 wrote:We just qualified a pole vaulter to the state meet for the 35th year in a row last night

Overachiever. lol!

Seriously, Congrats! Hope to see ya next weekend.
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

Speaking of Rushville, I believe they had a playoff streak of 20something years end in the 2008 season. I was coaching at West Hancock at the time and we were the team that handed them the 5th loss and I still vividly remember the looks on their faces after the game. It almost sapped the happiness from our win out of me and I mean that sincerely.

When Illini West didn't make the playoffs in the 2015 season, I would guess it was the first time in at least 30 years a Carthage/IW team hadn't made it.

To me, the 5 win requirement has made making the playoffs in IL football less impressive, but in my nine seasons as an assistant coach in IL, my teams only made the playoffs four times, so what do I know? Very Happy

wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Fri May 18, 2018 10:23 am

dusty7 wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
For most top seeds, it only takes 1 win to get to the regional final.  I'm going playoffs.  If you look at number of schools competing, getting in the playoffs is the equivalent of playing in a regional final.  Getting to the second round is getting to the sectional.  Playing in the quarters is equivalent to playing in the sectional final in baseball or basketball.  

I agree with this 100%.    It takes 5 or 6 wins to get to the playoffs.  But I think we can all agree both are impressive streaks.

St. Joe, DuQuoin and downstate Mt Carmel all had around 25 or more year streaks end in recent years
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am

Did not realize you guys had jumped to AAA. That's certainly good for us.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 am

Success factor?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 am

Stevenson-- Currently on a 29 year steak of playoff appearances

Maine So.-- Currently on a 26 year streak of making the playoffs

Montini -- Currently 25 straight.

Unity ---Currently 24 straight

Wilmington -- Currently at 22

Auburn -- Currently at 21

Stark County --- Currently at 22

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:
SIFBCoach7 wrote:
dusty7 wrote:

I remember some epic SJO and Monticello (my alma mater) in the past.  Played and upset SJO my senior year.  

When was your Sr. year?

2002. We won 31-28 or something like that then went on to beat St. T the following week. Got in at 5-4 that year.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Teetime wrote:Success factor?

Nope, cutoff number dropped. We actually have less kids than we did in 2013 and 2014 and have plateaud in the 1340 range the last few years. The 2A/3A cutoff number used to be in the mid 1400's, and has dropped by about 25 the last 5 years, it's currently at 1301 and I only see that number getting smaller. We competed fairly well at our sectional last night, but it was an eye opening experience. We are 990 kids under the average school at our sectional. Nothing you can do though, just got to keep your head down, make some adjustments, and adapt if you want to survive
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 am

Herscher just made it 9 straight Regional Championships the other day with their win over Reed-Custer.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 am

Dusty whats more impressive a record of 127-135 or 216-55?

I think Wilmo needs to rename Becker Field
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Mon May 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:Dusty whats more impressive a record of 127-135 or 216-55?

It is now called Becker Field at Reents Stadium. Made the change before the 2016 season.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Mon May 21, 2018 2:05 pm

dusty7 wrote:
Bighitter11 wrote:Dusty whats more impressive a record of 127-135 or 216-55?

It is now called Becker Field at Reents Stadium.  Made the change before the 2016 season.  

Fantastic and Deservingly so
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next