Lovie...worse than Tim Beckman?

Post by 19delta on Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 pm

19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Re: Lovie...worse than Tim Beckman?

Post by lefty120 on Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 am

Iíve always been a Lovie fan going back to his days with the Bears. I was also very excited at the hire when he came to Illinois. Up until this off season, Iíve been in the group that believed he would get it turned around. But after the number of kids who have chosen to either transfer or simply step away from the program, itís getting harder and harder to believe. Especially with the staff turnover at the OC position. If they want to get back to simply being competitive, they have to get the QB position figured out. After this spring, I think theyíre at least another two years away from that.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 am

I normally don't pay much attention to recruiting stuff...but stuff like this can't be a good sign. Jirehl Brock, a 4-star RB from Quincy, released his top five yesterday via Twitter and the Illini aren't even on the list. It's Iowa, Iowa St., Minnesota, Purdue, and Northwestern, I believe.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghengis Khan on Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 am

wolverine55 wrote:I normally don't pay much attention to recruiting stuff...but stuff like this can't be a good sign. †Jirehl Brock, a 4-star RB from Quincy, released his top five yesterday via Twitter and the Illini aren't even on the list. †It's Iowa, Iowa St., Minnesota, Purdue, and Northwestern, I believe.

Illinois got hurt in that recruitment when Scheelhaase left (which you could argue was their fault for not hiring him), he was their top guy on Brock and had a great bond with him. So I am cherry picking an excuse there, sure. But, they also have two top 100 commits for the next recruiting class already, with a few other four stars having Illinois at the top of their list. They actually seem to be doing better with the out of state kids who don't know the dismal record as of late, than the instate kids who have watched Illinois be bad for most of their childhood.

They need to show some improvement this year on the field to keep the momentum going for the recruiting class and then have a good 2019 season, but calling this over for Lovie is premature at this point. Whitman knows what a tire fire this situation was when he hired Lovie. They had the end of the Beckman era, followed by the lame duck year of Bill Cubit.. the program was in a horrible state.

Rod Smith will be the key to whether or not they can get the program turned around. If he can develop a QB and make the offense respectable they have a shot. The defense kept them in a lot of the games last year, but the offense left them out on the field too much through turnovers and short drives. The defense wore down late in some of those games and then the flood gates opened. There is along way to go still, but I think its premature to call it over for the Lovie era. This year will be very important though.

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 am

lefty120 wrote:Iíve always been a Lovie fan going back to his days with the Bears. I was also very excited at the hire when he came to Illinois. Up until this off season, Iíve been in the group that believed he would get it turned around. But after the number of kids who have chosen to either transfer or simply step away from the program, itís getting harder and harder to believe. Especially with the staff turnover at the OC position. If they want to get back to simply being competitive, they have to get the QB position figured out. After this spring, I think theyíre at least another two years away from that.
I donít think you can condemn Lovie because Beckmanís players want out.

I mean, do you really want that trash heap sticking around? Is the Underwood to blame because Groceís players are abandoning ship?

If youíre of the mind that Illinois needs to fire Lovie now or after the season, youíre part of the reason Illinois athletics are in the state theyíre in. And have been for 30 years. IMO.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 am

I like Rod Smith, and feel like he learned a lot about the RichRod system being with him for so long. But let's not forget that RichRod runs that offense. It will be a true testament to Rod Smith's coaching ability to see if he can call the game like RichRod. It has to be better than McGee. That guy was really bad. And it truly showed that Petrino ran the offense at Louisville.

I think Lovie has at least 3 more years before he's truly on the hot seat. I have realistic goals for '18: Win 4+ games and LOOK competitive in most.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:I like Rod Smith, and feel like he learned a lot about the RichRod system being with him for so long. †But let's not forget that RichRod runs that offense. †It will be a true testament to Rod Smith's coaching ability to see if he can call the game like RichRod. †It has to be better than McGee. †That guy was really bad. †And it truly showed that Petrino ran the offense at Louisville. †

I think Lovie has at least 3 more years before he's truly on the hot seat. †I have realistic goals for '18: †Win 4+ games and LOOK competitive in most.
If you're not talking about a minor bowl by 2020 I think then it's time to pull the plug. †I agree with your assessment on this season. †Win your non cons, maybe sneak up and get Maryland and Rutgers. †I think that's a pretty successful 18. †Maybe sneak in to 5 or 6 wins in 19, bowl talk in 20.

Problem is, if Lovie can't establish a decent, respectable program at Illinois, I legitimately don't think it can be done.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Wed May 16, 2018 11:10 am

Football is one of many sports hovering between average and piss poor in what has become a very lackluster athletic program overall at the U of I.

Of 36 Big Ten conference and tournament champions offered so far this year, the U of I has won a grand total of two (men's golf and men's gymnastics). The following data shows the last few academic years, followed by the number of championships won by the Illini, followed by the number of championships offered by the Big Ten that year.

2016-17: 1/39
2015-16: 1/39
2014-15: 5/41
2013-14: 0/35
2012-13: 1/36

That makes a grand total of 10 out of 226 possible championships awarded over the past six academic years.

Are ALL the coaches to blame for their teams not being more competitive? No, but they sure make for expedient scapegoats.
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 am

Head Idiot wrote:
lefty120 wrote:Iíve always been a Lovie fan going back to his days with the Bears. I was also very excited at the hire when he came to Illinois. Up until this off season, Iíve been in the group that believed he would get it turned around. But after the number of kids who have chosen to either transfer or simply step away from the program, itís getting harder and harder to believe. Especially with the staff turnover at the OC position. If they want to get back to simply being competitive, they have to get the QB position figured out. After this spring, I think theyíre at least another two years away from that.
I donít think you can condemn Lovie because Beckmanís players want out.

I mean, do you really want that trash heap sticking around? †Is the Underwood to blame because Groceís players are abandoning ship?

If youíre of the mind that Illinois needs to fire Lovie now or after the season, youíre part of the reason Illinois athletics are in the state theyíre in. †And have been for 30 years. †IMO.

I don't condemn him for Beckmans players wanting out...it worries me though when players who recorded multiple starts for Lovie want out. I'm still a huge fan of both Lovie and Illinois; I too think he needs to stay for at least a couple more years to see where the upcoming classes go and if they can get the offense figured out. Rod Smith is really the one who's under the microscope in my opinion. It all comes down to the QB position. They need to find some direction there sooner rather than later.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Wed May 16, 2018 11:54 am

My outside perspective on Lovie is the same as John Fox and the Bears. Neither of them really wanted these jobs.

They were both fired before they thought they were going to be from their previous job and were on the market.

They both probably would have been better with some time off from coaching but were pursued but the Illini and the Bears.

Probably both good coaches that were/are in jobs they really didn't want but thought they better take. Lovie is probably not "all in."

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Wed May 16, 2018 12:28 pm

I think we have to give Lovie at least a couple of more years.

If we fire him after this season - what coach are we going to get? You have a school that has struggled the last several years and they fire a coach after three seasons? I don't think that is the message you want to send to the potential coaching candidate pool. Show some patience and make it painfully obvious to not just Illini fans, but the country, that we need a change.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

OldTitan wrote:I think we have to give Lovie at least a couple of more years.

If we fire him after this season - what coach are we going to get? You have a school that has struggled the last several years and they fire a coach after three seasons? I don't think that is the message you want to send to the potential coaching candidate pool. Show some patience and make it painfully obvious to not just Illini fans, but the country, that we need a change.
If I've learned anything in my personal experiences the past couple years, especially this past year, there is always someone wanting to take a job. Regardless of what happens to the previous guy.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Sometimes losing a recruit is really winning.....Illinois just lost out to Minnesota on someone not to far from me that is the State's #2 Prospect. It should be considered a blessing that Lovie didnt use up a Scholarship on him. Head Skins boy PJ will look like the fool instead.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:Sometimes losing a recruit is really winning.....Illinois just lost out to Minnesota on someone not to far from me that is the State's #2 Prospect. †It should be considered a blessing that Lovie didnt use up a Scholarship on him. †Head Skins boy PJ will look like the fool instead.
I saw the kid's highlight film.

I'm really having issues seeing why he is ranked so highly.

#RowTheBoat
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:49 pm

And thats only his Highlights. You dont get to see all of the lowlights.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:And thats only his Highlights. †You dont get to see all of the lowlights.
Yes, he is more physically gifted than most of the kid's he's playing.

He's also fundamentally terrible and stands around A LOT.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Bighitter11 wrote:And thats only his Highlights. †You dont get to see all of the lowlights.

careful...you may get blocked from coach fleck's twitter feed
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 16, 2018 2:18 pm

ging wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

careful...you may get blocked from coach fleck's twitter feed
+1

#ThatBoatDoneBeenRowed
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Nobody is worse than Beckman.

Not only was he a very poor recruiter, he couldnít coach or tell the truth.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 am

Teetime wrote:Nobody is worse than Beckman.

+1 - he is the only coach who had folks pining for Zook! Laughing
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 am

OldTitan wrote:
Teetime wrote:Nobody is worse than Beckman.

+1 - he is the only coach who had folks pining for Zook! Laughing
Zook is probably the best, most successful Illinois coach in the past 25-30 years. Maybe Tepper.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down