Substitute Teachers

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Substitute Teachers

Post by tincup1215 on Fri May 11, 2018 2:32 pm

net wrote:
tincup1215 wrote:Good ol' Fitnessgram.  I always love the flood of parent notes I get the week we do the mile run test

why do you test the mile? we do pacers for aerobic capacity.

I am switching to the pacer next year. I do a XC unit in the fall and we end our unit with the mile test, so then I just do it again in the spring for the post test. I never have any parent note issues in the fall, it's always in the spring for some reason.
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Fri May 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Head Idiot wrote:Today we walked around the track I PE.

You'd have thought we went on the Bataan Death March.

I covered a PE class today, which I thought would be cool as we too were walking around the track. It's maybe 80 degrees here...would have guessed it was about 95 based on the reaction I got when I said we were heading outside.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri May 11, 2018 3:03 pm

My days of getting paid to sub are now over. Due to 4 of my 6 classes being all Seniors I only have to teach 2 class periods on B Days. Had to help with Graduation practice this morning (graduation is tomorrow) and I am sure I will subbing a lot over the next 2 weeks with no extra pay.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri May 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Head Idiot wrote:The level of laziness even in Athletic PE is pretty astounding here.  Freshman- going to be soph- football player got defensive the other day when I told him not to strain himself while squatting.  He had 65lbs on the bar.

He should be grateful you said anything at all.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Fri May 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Our biggest problem is in hiring paras. We have more than a few IEP kids who require a 1-on-1 aid and it is tough to find someone who is willing to do the job. The biggest issue is the pay which starts at $9/hour. For what the paras are required to do, it just isn't worth it, especially considering that paras have to have some college and I think they have to do PD hours.

The next district over is advertising for a custodian. Starting pay for that is $13/hour. It's really hard to find people for under $10/hour.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri May 11, 2018 7:26 pm

19delta wrote:Our biggest problem is in hiring paras. We have more than a few IEP kids who require a 1-on-1 aid and it is tough to find someone who is willing to do the job. The biggest issue is the pay which starts at $9/hour. For what the paras are required to do, it just isn't worth it, especially considering that paras have to have some college and I think they have to do PD hours.

The next district over is advertising for a custodian. Starting pay for that is $13/hour. It's really hard to find people for under $10/hour.
Throw in that a lot of places will only give them 39.5 hours a week just so they don't have to give them benefits and it becomes harder.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Pike Bishop on Fri May 11, 2018 11:56 pm

tincup1215 wrote:Good ol' Fitnessgram.  I always love the flood of parent notes I get the week we do the mile run test

Biggest joke we had/have to deal with. The first time we give it, we can fool the freshmen will usually go after it. After that, they join the ranks of the upperclassmen and turn into slackers. The older kids will do one push-up on the pre-test. on the final test they do two and proudly boast how they have "improved". On the days the pacer is given, hardly anyone dresses out. The guys I used to teach with finally said screw it and assigned minimum requirements and began to deduct points/grade for lack of participation. You not to use the fitness gram for a grade but to measure
fitness and improvement. You are right, the kids think they are taking part in the Bataan Death March.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 on Sat May 12, 2018 2:02 pm

About 5 years ago our best sprinter/football player got highly competitive during the pacer with the best distance runner in our school. Both got over 100 and the distance runner finished with around 140. The cross country coach got pissed as they had a meet that night and he ran poorly. The PE class found it entertaining.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 pm

I meant to ask this earlier in the thread...what exactly is the Pacer? I've seen enough internet memes on it to know it must be somewhat common, but we never did this--or at least anything by this name--when I was in school and to my knowledge none of the schools I've taught or coached at have done it either.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck on Fri May 18, 2018 2:05 pm

A P.E. teacher may be able to get more specific or correct any inaccuracy here, but each time the pacer beeps, students are to run the width of the gym floor. The time between beeps steadily decreases. If you haven't reached the other side of the floor by the time the pacer beeps to send you back, you are done.
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by coachv31 on Fri May 18, 2018 2:13 pm

The Pacer is a cardio vascular test that is often subbed for the mile. It is usually a 20 meter test where the kids start at a slow pace and gradually increases.

coachv31
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Fri May 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Thank you!!
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue May 22, 2018 2:19 pm