High School FB Instant Replay

Go down

High School FB Instant Replay

Post by OldTitan on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 am

Instant Replay is now part of four states' high school football:

Scoop wrote:Minnesota used replay for state semifinal and championship games last season, and New Jersey approved its use earlier this year. Alabama and Texas make four.

I think they should have it available for Illinois Championship games.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Re: High School FB Instant Replay

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:01 am

I wish they would make it less available at all levels of the game.

Personally, I'd rather live with a bad call than add an hour to every freaking game. With changes in offensive styles, we're already pushing 3 hours in some HS games.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 am

No way! The games take forever at state as it is with TV timeouts etc... IMHO.
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 am

Head Idiot wrote:
Personally, I'd rather live with a bad call than add an hour to every freaking game.

If you were in the state championship - you would "rather live with a bad call" than add some time to the game...

Sorry - I don't believe that for a second.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:31 am

OldTitan wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:
Personally, I'd rather live with a bad call than add an hour to every freaking game.

If you were in the state championship - you would "rather live with a bad call" than add some time to the game...

That does seem unbelievable. Maybe your only shot at a state championship and rather than lengthen the game by 30 minutes you would rather get back to the locker room with a loss 30 minutes earlier.

What is so important about those 30 minutes?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:35 am

OldTitan wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Iíve lived with some questionable calls that prevented me from getting to one, so I think I could stomach one while there.

This would be an excellent question for us to ask Dick Duval. Given what happened to him in his last championship game, Iíd be interested to know his thoughts.

I can assure you that I would be more than happy to live through a dozen bad calls than have a further spread of instant replay. Instant replay has made pro and college football unwatchable, we canít hope to grow the game at our level and do the same to us.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 am

Teetime wrote:
OldTitan wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

That does seem unbelievable. Maybe your only shot at a state championship and rather than lengthen the game by 30 minutes you would rather get back to the locker room with a loss 30 minutes earlier.

What is so important about those 30 minutes?
Those 30 minutes could change the outcome of the game far more than 1 missed call. Weíve all lost games because halftime came 5 mins too early. Weíve all had games where If the 2nd quarter only lasted 5 mins longer weíd have taken a lead or finished a team off. Now have your team stand around for 30 mins and see what happens to momentum.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am

That seems like it cuts both ways.

The other team might have momentum that you could take away.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am

As someone who was really close to a state berth as a senior, (14-13 loss in the Semis) I could not think of any reason to get back to locker room quicker than getting all the calls right in the game. Mind you, there was no calls during that game that were "replay" worthy that I recall, but if there was one and we did not make it because of it........seriously?

I know this was "only" a semi final game, but the stakes are kinda high even there.

So it adds a half hour to the state championship game, so what. Williamsville lost a heart breaker in the finals. Were there any calls in that game that would have been overturned via replay? I do not recall, but I am guessing Aaron and everyone else on that staff and team IF there was.

As for regular season, nope. (not that this was part of the original question)

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 am

general maximus wrote:As someone who was really close to a state berth as a senior, (14-13 loss in the Semis) †I could not think of any reason to get back to locker room quicker than getting all the calls right in the game. † Mind you, there was no calls during that game that were "replay" worthy that I recall, but if there was one and we did not make it because of it........seriously?

I know this was "only" a semi final game, but the stakes are kinda high even there. †

So it adds a half hour to the state championship game, so what. †Williamsville lost a heart breaker in the finals. †Were there any calls in that game that would have been overturned via replay? †I do not recall, but I am guessing Aaron and everyone else on that staff and team IF there was. †

As for regular season, nope. †(not that this was part of the original question)
So, whatís the difference in a game week 9 or 2 or 6 that could decide if you get in at 5-4 out of a tough big conference and could go 2A and Immaculate Conception the field for a state championship or that state playoff game or championship? Itís a slippery slope.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am

Teetime wrote:That seems like it cuts both ways.

The other team might have momentum that you could take away.
It could.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:42 am

Head Idiot wrote:
general maximus wrote:As someone who was really close to a state berth as a senior, (14-13 loss in the Semis) †I could not think of any reason to get back to locker room quicker than getting all the calls right in the game. † Mind you, there was no calls during that game that were "replay" worthy that I recall, but if there was one and we did not make it because of it........seriously?

I know this was "only" a semi final game, but the stakes are kinda high even there. †

So it adds a half hour to the state championship game, so what. †Williamsville lost a heart breaker in the finals. †Were there any calls in that game that would have been overturned via replay? †I do not recall, but I am guessing Aaron and everyone else on that staff and team IF there was. †

So, whatís the difference in a game week 9 or 2 or 6 that could decide if you get in at 5-4 out of a tough big conference and could go 2A and Immaculate Conception the field for a state championship or that state playoff game or championship? †Itís a slippery slope.

My example was anecdotal, additionally I placed a disclaimer on there also. Furthermore, there is no reasonable way the current system could implement replay in regular season games. Logistically I do not see replay being feasible for regular games.

I simply was indicating that I would not want to be left out of a championship game because of TIME it takes to get the call right. Subsequently, I really would not want to lose a championship game because of a call that would not get looked at because games are too long.

I guess I should have painted with a smaller brush.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 pm

general maximus wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

So, whatís the difference in a game week 9 or 2 or 6 that could decide if you get in at 5-4 out of a tough big conference and could go 2A and Immaculate Conception the field for a state championship or that state playoff game or championship? †Itís a slippery slope.

My example was anecdotal, additionally I placed a disclaimer on there also. †Furthermore, there is no reasonable way the current system could implement replay in regular season games. †Logistically I do not see replay being feasible for regular games. †

I simply was indicating that I would not want to be left out of a championship game because of TIME it takes to get the call right. †Subsequently, I really would not want to lose a championship game because of a call that would not get looked at because games are too long. †

I guess I should have painted with a smaller brush. †
Your example was very specific, but if you havenít noticed we donít live in a specific world. My question was more devilís advocate than personal belief. I think if you let it in at any level, those with the means will want it made available to them and thatís how it proliferates. Soon, itíll become expected that you have it. Itís far more of a potential detriment to the game than one 30 mins delay IMO.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
OldTitan wrote:
Head Idiot wrote:

Iíve lived with some questionable calls that prevented me from getting to one, so I think I could stomach one while there.

This would be an excellent question for us to ask Dick Duval. †Given what happened to him in his last championship game, Iíd be interested to know his thoughts.

I can assure you that I would be more than happy to live through a dozen bad calls than have a further spread of instant replay. †Instant replay has made pro and college football unwatchable, we canít hope to grow the game at our level and do the same to us.

I can tell you his thoughts.....

SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm

I would be okay with it at Semi (which should be at neutral sites and televised in my opinion) and Final level but is not feasible during the regular season as it would cost programs money for the equipment.

At the Semis or Finals it makes a bit more sense but there would need to be strict rules on what plays are reviewable (not every scoring play) and how the replays are initiated. I agree with Head as games are already long enough as is and we don't need anything making the games longer.

But on the other hand the IHSA Refs have made some pretty bad and noticeable blunders in big games including the Championship (SJO) which is why I am okay with them at these games.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:46 pm

dusty7 wrote:I would be okay with it at Semi (which should be at neutral sites and televised in my opinion) and Final level but is not feasible during the regular season as it would cost programs money for the equipment. †

At the Semis or Finals it makes a bit more sense but there would need to be strict rules on what plays are reviewable (not every scoring play) and how the replays are initiated. †I agree with Head as games are already long enough as is and we don't need anything making the games longer. †

But on the other hand the IHSA Refs have made some pretty bad and noticeable blunders in big games including the Championship (SJO) which is why I am okay with them at these games. †
Were those really noticeable blunders or were they so noticeable because of the replay available through TV? I'm sure those calls happen all the time in the course of a normal game, but since there isn't a giant screen replaying it, most people don't even notice.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Were those really noticeable blunders or were they so noticeable because of the replay available through TV? †I'm sure those calls happen all the time in the course of a normal game, but since there isn't a giant screen replaying it, most people don't even notice.

That sounds like a perfect argument FOR replay, not against.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 pm

I would only want it used for the State Championships. I would limit to one challenge per coach per half. I think it would be worth it.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:33 pm

dusty7 wrote:I would be okay with it at Semi (which should be at neutral sites and televised in my opinion) and Final level but is not feasible during the regular season as it would cost programs money for the equipment. †

At the Semis or Finals it makes a bit more sense but there would need to be strict rules on what plays are reviewable (not every scoring play) and how the replays are initiated. †I agree with Head as games are already long enough as is and we don't need anything making the games longer. †

But on the other hand the IHSA Refs have made some pretty bad and noticeable blunders in big games including the Championship (SJO) which is why I am okay with them at these games. †

I agree with this. Limit it to Semi's and Finals. I'll bet it wouldn't add more than 10 minutes to the game. I'm not ragging on the officials but the HS officials aren't the quality of the officials doing Power 5 College or NFL. Sometimes they make big blunders.
I remember watching that championship game SJO/Stillman Valley. Just a great championship game. The back fumbled before he broke the plane of the goal, just a brutal way to lose the game.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Head Idiot wrote:
Were those really noticeable blunders or were they so noticeable because of the replay available through TV? †I'm sure those calls happen all the time in the course of a normal game, but since there isn't a giant screen replaying it, most people don't even notice.

Hell yes they were noticeable. BOTH teams knew what happened, and our kids came out with the ball. Refs missed it. What do you do? Teaching moment.

But, if another team can be spared the agony of that missed call, I'd be all for it at the championship sites. No reason NOT to do it.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down