Fleeing Illinois

Go down

Fleeing Illinois

Post by OldTitan on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 am

Waking up this morning to a landscape buried in snow, realizing we have a non-functioning state government, and the fear things will get worse before they get better - I have no illusions why folks are moving out of this state! Wink

It's a good thing I love my job and school. The south sure looks good this morning....
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Re: Fleeing Illinois

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:50 am

Don't forget the collapsing economy and crumbling infrastructure.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 am

If you can't get out of it, get into it!
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Although I have already abandoned Illinois, I am looking south. I am interviewing with a competitor - during a trade show next week in Vegas - about taking over their southeast US territory. Would be based in Atlanta (family there) and travel 75 percent of the time.

I'd not take a regional travel job up north - the weather would be too much to handle, but in the south, I could really dig a day drive down the Tami-Ami trail.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:49 pm

There's mighty good water in Tennessee
https://sites.google.com/oakcrestfarms.com/2017/home

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:18 am

BirdWatcher wrote:There's mighty good water in Tennessee  

there's 2 oak crest farms? Very Happy
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:47 am

I love that scene in the Daniel Day-Lewis film!
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:10 am

net wrote:

there's 2 oak crest farms? Very Happy

Not anymore. See thread title.....

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eakaby on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:28 am

The Capitol Fax blog had some interesting items on this subject yesterday. The actual out-migration numbers for Illinois (based on per capita %) is actually lower than most states, including those that surround us. The problem is the in-migration rates are way lower. However, the drop-off of the in-migration numbers is due to the fact that Hispanic and African American in-migration numbers are way lower than they were 10 years ago. With this in mind, Chicago is losing population mainly due to African-Americans leaving in droves toward southern destinations and the suburbs. This has been offset by higher income whites moving to the city in record numbers.

Though I live in the south suburbs, I am in tune with the abysmal economic conditions downstate, which is causing many of you to be discontented with the state and wanting to leave. I get that. Whether you want to blame Madigan, Rauner, or anybody else in state government, the reckless ignoring any county outside of Cook and the collar counties has been criminal. The only way to make Illinois solvent again lies downstate, not necessarily in Chicagoland.
eakaby
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:20 pm

eakaby wrote:The Capitol Fax blog had some interesting items on this subject yesterday.  The actual out-migration numbers for Illinois (based on per capita %) is actually lower than most states, including those that surround us.  The problem is the in-migration rates are way lower.  However, the drop-off of the in-migration numbers is due to the fact that Hispanic and African American in-migration numbers are way lower than they were 10 years ago.  With this in mind, Chicago is losing population mainly due to African-Americans leaving in droves toward southern destinations and the suburbs.  This has been offset by higher income whites moving to the city in record numbers.  

Though I live in the south suburbs, I am in tune with the abysmal economic conditions downstate, which is causing many of you to be discontented with the state and wanting to leave.  I get that.  Whether you want to blame Madigan, Rauner, or anybody else in state government, the reckless ignoring any county outside of Cook and the collar counties has been criminal.  The only way to make Illinois solvent again lies downstate, not necessarily in Chicagoland.
eakaby for Governor 2018!cheers cheers cheers
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:01 am

oakcrest farms needs a page dedicated to frenchie!
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:31 pm

eakaby wrote:the reckless ignoring any county outside of Cook and the collar counties has been criminal.  The only way to make Illinois solvent again lies downstate, not necessarily in Chicagoland.

The only way to make Illinois solvent again is to elect politicians who will make it solvent instead of politicians who can't say no to special interests and who aren't corrupt. Those politicians aren't coming from downstate because there aren't enough of them to influence the Illinois legislature. Problem is, the electorate is too stupid to elect the right people. It's the same electorate that elected Blago, Madigan, Ryan, etc.

The only way downstate could play a role in making Illinois solvent is if they could kick Cook County out of the state, and that ain't happening.
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by eakaby on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 pm

eakaby
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Wed May 02, 2018 11:55 am

I was looking at some positions in Florida, Alabama, And Tennessee and was shocked at how low the salaries are down there. The cost of living cannot be that much lower.

The only southern state with competitive teaching/coaching salaries is Texas. Georgia has decent coaching salaries, but their teaching salaries are low too. Salaries in the Great Plains are even worse.

If we have a teacher shortage in Illinois, it must be a terrible problem in lots of other areas of the country.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed May 02, 2018 4:05 pm

The pension plan in Illinois is also better than all of those other states.

It's not well funded, but is very generous by comparison.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Wed May 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Teetime wrote:The pension plan in Illinois is also better than all of those other states.

It's not well funded, but is very generous by comparison.

Agreed. I just hope it exists in 12 years.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu May 03, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm doing everything I can to dissuade Twin B from a career in teaching. She is on track to get a Mathematics degree at U of I with an endorsement in Math and Physics in two and a half years from now.

She now understands that it will be easier to enter the business world and go back to teaching if she does not like it than the reverse. Next summer, a friend will be taking her as a mentee at a global financial services company. I've also made her watch Wall Street with me and I pound into her head, "greed is good."
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north on Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 am

talking to trades people the last few weeks....postings for apprentices in electrical and carpenter unions here and they can't get enough qualified applications.Start at over $20 per hour and over $42 per hour in 3 years. HVAC and welding fields looking too.
My brother "retired" at 50, 3 years ago and they are trying to get him to come back in a supervisor role on sites.
At my job I mentioned retiring at end of year and they are talking to me about working 2 to 3 days a week.Company is currently hiring and having issues finding people and are looking to expand.They start off the street at $16.40 per hour with full benefits from day 1 and 144 hours of PTO.
Costco warehouse just opened a processing building in Morris and has postings all over and just read that a major company is looking at Morris and Minooka for a 2 million sq ft building and will employ over 600 employees.

I think we have more jobs available in Will and Grundy counties than willing bodies.

4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Sat May 12, 2018 5:17 pm

crusader wrote:I'm doing everything I can to dissuade Twin B from a career in teaching. She is on track to get a Mathematics degree at U of I with an endorsement in Math and Physics in two and a half years from now.

She now understands that it will be easier to enter the business world and go back to teaching if she does not like it than the reverse. Next summer, a friend will be taking her as a mentee at a global financial services company. I've also made her watch Wall Street with me and I pound into her head, "greed is good."

Let her get the endorsement and then she has a "fall back" if she does not enjoy finance.

One of the mistakes I made in undergrad was not getting an endorsement and had to go back and get it before teaching.

I don't regret my years as a practicing attorney in the least. It has made me appreciate many things in teaching others take for granted.

Options are always good.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 am

OldTitan wrote:
crusader wrote:I'm doing everything I can to dissuade Twin B from a career in teaching. She is on track to get a Mathematics degree at U of I with an endorsement in Math and Physics in two and a half years from now.

Let her get the endorsement and then she has a "fall back" if she does not enjoy finance.

One of the mistakes I made in undergrad was not getting an endorsement and had to go back and get it before teaching.

I don't regret my years as a practicing attorney in the least. It has made me appreciate many things in teaching others take for granted.

Options are always good.
I have NO say at this point. Her mother is paying for both kids - ALL TUITION AND HOUSING ... I can only guide and suggest.

Fortunately, both girls take my counsel still. And I will share your insight with her. Thanks.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

4a(6afornet)north wrote:talking to trades people the last few weeks....postings for apprentices in electrical and carpenter unions here and they can't get enough qualified applications.Start at over $20 per hour and over $42 per hour in 3 years. HVAC and welding fields looking too.
My brother "retired" at 50, 3 years ago and they are trying to get him to come back in a supervisor role on sites.
At my job I mentioned retiring at end of year and they are talking to me about working 2 to 3 days a week.Company is currently hiring and having issues finding people and are looking to expand.They start off the street at $16.40 per hour with full benefits from day 1 and 144 hours of PTO.
Costco warehouse just opened a processing building in Morris and has postings all over and just read that a major company is looking at Morris and Minooka for a 2 million sq ft building and will employ over 600 employees.

I think we have more jobs available in Will and Grundy counties than willing bodies.
I think the term willing bodies is the key here. In one of my subbing deals last week a table of Sr boys was saying another Sr was "an idiot" for taking a factory job here in town after HS. One of them said he'd rather live in his parent's house forever than have to do physical labor.

The laziness is astounding.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 pm

My oldest (he'll be 19 next month) just got a job at a Ford dealership. Entry level...basically doing the grunt work. Oil changes, tire rotations...that kind of stuff.

He is doing an auto maintenance program at a JUCO in Freeport. Just finished up his first year. His supervisor hired him with the idea that he will work his way up to being a full-time mechanic. The supervisor has told him that they can't get people to do these jobs. Or, when they do hire someone, that person just doesn't work out.

So, what they are looking to do now is to recruit kids in the auto maintenance program at the school, bring them in at an entry level, and then develop them into full-time mechanics.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Mon May 14, 2018 3:35 pm

19delta wrote:

So, what they are looking to do now is to recruit kids in the auto maintenance program at the school, bring them in at an entry level, and then develop them into full-time mechanics.  

brilliant idea!
ging
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by illinipete on Tue May 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I guarantee if I opened a gaming establishment, I'd get kids lined up for miles to work for $10/hr! Smile
illinipete
I Pete my Pants

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue May 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down