IHSA Sports Medicine Committee Recommendations

Go down

IHSA Sports Medicine Committee Recommendations

Post by OldTitan on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 pm

These are the recommendations in the latest minutes of the IHSA Sports Medicine Advisory:
RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Recommendation: The committee recommends the following language be added to IHSA Policy 13.
Weekly Player Limitations for Football
1. A player shall not play in more than 2 games in any one week. For the purposes of this section, a week is defined as the seven-day period running from Sunday through
the following Saturday. (It is recommended that if a player does play in 2 games in a given week, one of those games is only as a one-way player [i.e., only plays on offense or defense or special teams])
2. Players cannot play in games on consecutive days or be involved in live contact/thud in practice the day after playing in a game.
3. 1 play in a game equals a game played.
NOTE: If a player plays in a game that is stopped due to weather or other circumstances and completed the next day, the player can participate in the resumed game the following day.

RATIONALE: After considerable discussion at the committee level and with the high school football coaching community in Illinois, the IHSA SMAC believes the adoption of the above guidelines for game play by high school players in Illinois is necessary. Of greatest concern to the committee is exposure to full contact in a game setting on consecutive days, and it is this concern that serves as the main motivation behind this recommendation. Current ‘best practices thinking’ by experts in the field seems to indicate repeated exposure to live contact on successive days, particularly when the contact is at “game speed”, is something that should be avoided. Providing appropriate rest between live game play will offer protection to players that does not currently exist now, in Illinois and nationally. Football is a physical game, and the committee firmly believes the body needs time to properly recover from the impact of live contact, and this recommendation addresses that basic concern.
ADMINISTRATIVE RECOMMENDATIONS
None.

My Thoughts:

1st: Agree 100% with the recommendation.

2nd: The Apollo Conference recently voted to move J.V. games to Saturdays. I already knew this was going to cause a lot of problems for us. If they do not change back to a Mondays schedule we may have to forfeit a number of JV games. It will depend on how many we get out and how many sophomores I have to move up to varsity.

3rd: It may lead to a lot of teams on the upside of a blow out keeping their starters in until the end. I am not going to put a kid in for a 4th quarter series and cost him a JV game opportunity for example. Substitutions will be a little more complicated decision for us now.

4th: Even if our conference moves JV games back to Monday it will require us to significantly change our Tuesday practice. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but it will be an adjustment.

If this recommendation is followed by the IHSA Board of Directors - will it affect your program?
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Re: IHSA Sports Medicine Committee Recommendations

Post by dusty7 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:46 am

Absolutely will affect us. Not so much at the Varsity level as we only bring up Sophs who start but will have a big impact on our Freshman and Soph/JV.

We play Freshman on Mondays and in order to field our F/S team on Friday we need a lot of the Freshman to play and dress all of them. However in the Freshman games, usually if they start on one side of the ball on Friday they only play one way on Monday.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:14 am

There are good intentions behind this but....... We are a small school with small numbers. Our freshman usually play Thursday or before Varsity Friday. Alot of those kids will also play JV on Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday are our big "Team" Practices at the Varsity level that week. Alot of times we count on those JV guys as Scout team bodies. They cant even do high "Thud" according to this.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 am

That proposal has issues on many levels.

More government overreach without thinking it through.  

Last year scenario......So if a freshman plays in one Varsity play on Friday, and he plays one way in the Soph game on Monday after 2 days rest, then he cannot play one Play in the Freshman Game on Thursday?   DUH

My experience was that Wrestling competitions in Successive days at the big tournaments are far more physical than football games

I also do not see this happening often, so I am actually okay with it, but I do not want to be limited to something like this.  It is going to cause more forfeits and empty spots on the schedule.  

Like others have said, the intentions are good, but not well thought out!

Last edited by general maximus on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:40 am

I would think this causes issues for most programs 5A and below to field three levels.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Makes no sense

If a game gets postponed and played the next day they say its ok and safe for a Kid to essentially play Full Speed Contact Football 2 days in a row but........A kid plays a game one day but cant do quick whistle high thud practice as a scout team player the next.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:27 am

Just Like summer Contact Days, Who is Gonna Enforce it??
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:11 am

Exactly
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:23 am

I'm probably the least qualified person on this board to comment on this, but what the heck.

Are these proposed new regulations a solution in search of a problem?  If not, then what data is the IHSA using to identify the problem and justify the solution?  Are too many kids playing too many downs?  If so, what is the extent of the problem, and where is the line being drawn between simply being tired from playing a large number of downs and reaching a point of health risk from playing too many?  How many downs in how many days are too many for high school players, and what percentage of players are playing too many downs?  Is going both ways and playing every down in a game as a WR and FS the same health risk as going both ways and playing every down on the DL and OL?

As an observer with no skin in the game, these proposed regulations just seem to me to be more "one size fits all" regulation from the IHSA.  They come up with sweeping policies that apply to all players and schools, or to certain types of schools, but that don't work for some/many schools and players based on school size, size of squads, type of school, positions being played, geography, strength of program, or whatever.

Last edited by ramblinman on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:24 am

No one, but that isn't the point. The point is to shift blame and liability for potential injuries off admins and trainers and on to coaches.

And then openly wonder again why no one wants to coach anymore.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Head Idiot wrote:No one, but that isn't the point.  The point is to shift blame and liability for potential injuries off admins and trainers and on to coaches.

And then openly wonder again why no one wants to coach anymore.

I gave you +1, even though we may disagree on this issue.

I agree with most of the recommendations. I think it is a bad idea to have kids going at game speed in back-to-back days.

However, the reason for the +1 is I 100% agree that I am really tired of burdens getting shifted onto coaches.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:26 pm

OldTitan wrote: I think it is a bad idea to have kids going at game speed in back-to-back days.

Even if they only play a handful of downs in each game?
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:15 am

ramblinman wrote:
OldTitan wrote: I think it is a bad idea to have kids going at game speed in back-to-back days.

Even if they only play a handful of downs in each game?

A handful of kick-offs, a handful of punts? Then, yes. Other plays - I'm honestly not sure.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum