School District Numbers

Go down

School District Numbers

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:12 am

I can't remember if I have already asked this question or not, but how do school districts get their numbers? For example Sullivan is District 300, Cerro Gordo is District 100. Both Meridian and Clinton are CUSD 15. How are these numbers arrived at?

If you've already answered this question once, sorry for the re-ask.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Re: School District Numbers

Post by ging on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 pm

good question. sterling is/has been known as "unit 5" for years. but i know that the bloomington/normal schools are also unit 5.
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm

I asked our R.O.E. this question and this is what she sent me:

According to Illinois School Law Survey, 13th Edition, there are numerous school district designations in Illinois that reflect the statutory terminology in use at the time different school districts were organized. Many of the statutes under which Illinois school districts were first organized have since been repealed. Unit districts, which were created under various designation, provide education for kindergarten through grade 12. Elementary districts (grades K-Cool and high school districts (grades 9-12) create a dual structure. There are also charter districts, originally created under charters granted by the state and typically governed by special sections of the School Code.

In Champaign and Ford Counties, there are:

· Community Unit School Districts (CUSDs) – K-12 districts like Mahomet-Seymour and Fisher
· Community Consolidated School Districts (CCSDs) – K-8 districts like Gifford and Thomasboro
· Township High School Districts (HSDs) – 9-12 districts like Rantoul Twp. High School
· Community High School Districts (CHSDs) – 9-12 districts like St. Joseph-Ogden High School
· School Districts (SDs) – K-12 districts like Urbana and Danville which I think were some of the first districts in Illinois

As to the number assigned to the district, it goes back to 105 ILCS 5/3-14.8 in the Illinois School Code. Districts are numbered consecutively. If a new district is formed, the regional superintendent determines the number by which the district shall be designated. The new number cannot be a duplicate of any number in the county. If the new district is formed by territory in more than one county, the regional superintendents of all involved territory agree upon a number for the school, and the number cannot duplicate any number in any of the counties. Prairieview-Ogden CCSD 197 is the last school district formed in Champaign County, and Regional Superintendent Judy Pacey determined the number 197 in consultation with the district superintendent making certain to not use a number in use or previously used in the county.

Public school districts and schools in Illinois are identified by a unique state-assigned code, RCDTS, (https://www.isbe.net/Documents/key_codes.pdf). The school district type can be identified through the code. The link to the ISBE document also describes the different types of school districts in Illinois.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 am

How could educators screw-up a numbering system?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 am

Sterling is Unit 5 as that is all they can count to. Cool Very Happy cheers lol! ROFL
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 am

newcom wrote:Sterling is Unit 5 as that is all they can count to. Cool Very Happy cheers lol! ROFL

i can count to 1, see...

ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:13 am

Teetime wrote:How could educators legislators screw-up a numbering system?

Fixed.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:34 am

OldTitan wrote:I asked our R.O.E. this question and this is what she sent me:

According to Illinois School Law Survey, 13th Edition, there are numerous school district designations in Illinois that reflect the statutory terminology in use at the time different school districts were organized. Many of the statutes under which Illinois school districts were first organized have since been repealed. Unit districts, which were created under various designation, provide education for kindergarten through grade 12. Elementary districts (grades K-Cool and high school districts (grades 9-12) create a dual structure. There are also charter districts, originally created under charters granted by the state and typically governed by special sections of the School Code.

In Champaign and Ford Counties, there are:

·         Community Unit School Districts (CUSDs) – K-12 districts like Mahomet-Seymour and Fisher
·         Community Consolidated School Districts (CCSDs) – K-8 districts like Gifford and Thomasboro
·         Township High School Districts (HSDs) – 9-12 districts like Rantoul Twp. High School
·         Community High School Districts (CHSDs) – 9-12 districts like St. Joseph-Ogden High School
·         School Districts (SDs) – K-12 districts like Urbana and Danville which I think were some of the first districts in Illinois

As to the number assigned to the district, it goes back to 105 ILCS 5/3-14.8 in the Illinois School Code. Districts are numbered consecutively. If a new district is formed, the regional superintendent determines the number by which the district shall be designated. The new number cannot be a duplicate of any number in the county. If the new district is formed by territory in more than one county, the regional superintendents of all involved territory agree upon a number for the school, and the number cannot duplicate any number in any of the counties. Prairieview-Ogden CCSD 197 is the last school district formed in Champaign County, and Regional Superintendent Judy Pacey determined the number 197 in consultation with the district superintendent making certain to not use a number in use or previously used in the county.

Public school districts and schools in Illinois are identified by a unique state-assigned code, RCDTS, (https://www.isbe.net/Documents/key_codes.pdf).  The school district type can be identified through the code. The link to the ISBE document also describes the different types of school districts in Illinois.

The real answer: PVO is CCSD #197 because that is the exit number on I-74 for the Ogden exit. True story.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 am

OldTitan wrote:
Teetime wrote:How could educators legislators screw-up a numbering system?

Fixed.
I may have used the word administrators, but legislators works too.

PS- +2 for answering my question.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down