Disabled Evanston Township runner loses lawsuit against the IHSA

Go down

Disabled Evanston Township runner loses lawsuit against the IHSA

Post by 19delta on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-met-disabled-athlete-loses-court-fight-20180205-story,amp.html

I'm kind of on the kid's side. What would be the unintended consequences if the IHSA creates a division so disabled kids can run in a state meet?
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Re: Disabled Evanston Township runner loses lawsuit against the IHSA

Post by tincup1215 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 am

I agree, they've added in the wheelchair divisions so why not open it up for kids like this??
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 am

I suppose there might be parents of kids who always wanted to compete in swimming, football, basketball, wrestling and every other sport that would say...."hey, you made a special effort for runners, what about my kid"

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm

I think I am with the IHSA on this one.  In the article, they say have the schools ask us, don't have the courts force us.  This would allow the IHSA to figure out how to best include this sort of qualification into the meet.  Having attended the state meet for the past 20 years I have seen the impact the wheelchair race additions have had on the meet.  Almost none.  It has created a new state trophy for a unified champion, and the meet is slightly longer.  But it is longer, and the addition of a third class several years ago has made the Saturday of finals pretty long.  Poor weather on that Saturday can "cheapen" the elite experience that the Finals day is supposed to be, if events have to be rushed.  The more divisions that get added on makes for an even longer Saturday.  This is why I can see the IHSA's concern about every other year having a new qualification forced upon them.  Let the regular process take place so the IHSA can suitably plan for it.  While it won't help this particular runner, he seems to get what the big picture is, much more so than a lot of adults.
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Huck wrote:I think I am with the IHSA on this one.  In the article, they say have the schools ask us, don't have the courts force us.  This would allow the IHSA to figure out how to best include this sort of qualification into the meet.  Having attended the state meet for the past 20 years I have seen the impact the wheelchair race additions have had on the meet.  Almost none.  It has created a new state trophy for a unified champion, and the meet is slightly longer.  But it is longer, and the addition of a third class several years ago has made the Saturday of finals pretty long.  Poor weather on that Saturday can "cheapen" the elite experience that the Finals day is supposed to be, if events have to be rushed.  The more divisions that get added on makes for an even longer Saturday.  This is why I can see the IHSA's concern about every other year having a new qualification forced upon them.  Let the regular process take place so the IHSA can suitably plan for it.  While it won't help this particular runner, he seems to get what the big picture is, much more so than a lot of adults.

+1

Very reasonable response.

I agree that using the courts is not the right way to do this. The IHSA is a private organization and should be able to create rules without interference from the government. If the member schools say they want this new division, then let them say so and go through the proper process for adding it.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down