Parents & Signings

Go down

Parents & Signings

Post by newcom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Just had a parent e-mail me with this
Not sure if you have anything to do with posting on Twitter through the school but Sterling, Dixon and pretty much every high school in the country is tweeting out that they have athletes signing tomorrow and I haven't seen anything out of Newman.

Athlete 1(her son), Athlete 2 & Athlete 3 will all be signing tomorrow to play in college.

Is there something we are supposed to do?
Thanks

Not one is going major, should I be upset or am I overreacting?
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Re: Parents & Signings

Post by ging on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:58 pm

i'm afraid it's a sign of the times.

nothing to get upset about. just shake your head like i do.

Last edited by ging on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Dear Parent -

Your kid is not that good - and in fact - you're paying tens of thousands of dollars for your kid to play DIII ball. We thought to save you the embarrassment of having people know that you are a sucker.

Sincerely,
Newcom
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:20 pm

crusader wrote:Dear Parent -

Your kid is not that good - and in fact - you're paying tens of thousands of dollars for your kid to play DIII ball. We thought to save you the embarrassment of having people know that you are a sucker.

Sincerely,
Newcom

Don't slight DIII ball. I rather enjoyed my time getting to continue to play 2 sports I loved for 4 more years. I had walk-on offers. Are those parents less embarrassing if they pay tens of thousands of dollars to be a D1 walk on? (where their kid never sees the field) I chose a route for a good education and to play for 4 years. I thought it was a good choice.

I totally get what I think you mean about having a signing ceremony to a DIII school who doesn't offer athletic scholarships, but your response comes off as parents of any kid who plays DIII should be embarrassed.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 pm

I follow you.

I had d3 offers - and to me (personally), it seemed like a scam. Come to this school, pay more than you would at ISU or other directional school in the state, commit X amount of time to the university and you are compelled to do so ... or pay more money.

I should not "poop" on d3 athletes and I know that's how it came across. Prolly should have just shared my point of view instead of painting with a broad brush.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Understood. My tuition to D3 wasn't at all that much different than ISU/SIU-C, etc. Plus I got to play.

I am 100% in agreement on the D3 "signing" ceremonies though....what are they signing?
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:
I am 100% in agreement on the D3 "signing" ceremonies though....what are they signing?

THIS X 10,000!!!!!
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:17 pm

They are not signing shit and no one shows up except their classmates. We have had 3 or 4 different "signing ceremonies" without putting it on social media. it just irritates me that some parents think their child needs all that BS. Scary World when this generation tries to run the country and mommie & daddy are not there to wipe their arses Shocked Embarassed pale scratch
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:38 pm

newcom wrote:Just had a parent e-mail me with this
Not sure if you have anything to do with posting on Twitter through the school but Sterling, Dixon and pretty much every high school in the country is tweeting out that they have athletes signing tomorrow and I haven't seen anything out of Newman.

Athlete 1(her son), Athlete 2 & Athlete 3 will all be signing tomorrow to play in college.

Is there something we are supposed to do?
Thanks

Not one is going major, should I be upset or am I overreacting?

are they getting scholarships to play football?
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 pm

crusader wrote:I follow you.

I had d3 offers - and to me (personally), it seemed like a scam. Come to this school, pay more than you would at ISU or other directional school in the state, commit X amount of time to the university and you are compelled to do so ... or pay more money.

I should not "poop" on d3 athletes and I know that's how it came across. Prolly should have just shared my point of view instead of painting with a broad brush.

I played 4 years of D3 football and I owed a grand total of $15,000 when I graduated. At the time (1996), I thought that was a crushing debt that would shackle me forever. 😂

When I played, D3 wasn't a scam. I still wanted to play football, the school offered the degree program I wanted, and it was not prohibitively expensive. I had a half-tuition scholarship for four years and took loans to cover the rest. And then, after graduating, I did 3 years in the Army and Uncle Sam paid off that $15,000 I still owed.

But going to a D3 school today? Forget it. A former player is at North Central College. Including room and board, it costs $50,000/year to go there. I'm sure there are some cheaper options to keep playing football, but it's still probably really expensive regardless where a kid goes.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:23 am

I think D3 is a great option for a lot of kids. If the financials make sense and you get to play a sport why not? Typically, schools like those in the CCIW, IC, Knox, etc come up with packages that make them very competitive price-wise with the University of Illinois and often cheaper.

As far as signings go - I think we should have a signing celebration for our kids that get full rides based on academics. We have a heck of lot more of those, and it could show younger students the more reliable and attainable path to a full ride.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:42 am

OldTitan wrote:As far as signings go - I think we should have a signing celebration for our kids that get full rides based on academics. We have a heck of lot more of those, and it could show younger students the more reliable and attainable path to a full ride.

That is a fantastic idea. +1

Anyone know of schools that do that?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:32 pm

while we're on this topic...

i know an athlete who recently was contacted by a basketball coach at an NAIA school (which can give athletic scholarships).  the coach told him "i haven't seen you play yet" and later said "we'd like to set up a campus visit".   then he said "we have a lot of players from this area already commited, so i can see you playing on our jv next year".   ok...so you haven't seen him play but you already have him placed on your jv team next year?

a little research turned up the fact that the school in question has 20 players on their varsity roster plus TWO jv teams with 15 players on each.  so 50 players in the basketball program at a school that can offer a total of 11 basketball scholarships. that seems all kinds of sketchy.
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Ging,
That is one way tom keep enrollment up at the school because I'm sure not all of the JV are on scholarship.
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:57 pm

My brother coaches junior college basketball and he has stopped scheduling NAIA JV teams because you never know what you are going to get. Basically, schools are using their athletic programs to boost enrollment and most NAIA programs are under orders to have rosters of at least 40.

wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:05 pm

newcom wrote:Ging,
That is one way tom keep enrollment up at the school because I'm sure not all of the JV are on scholarship.

exactly. the more players they have, the more revenue is generated for the school.
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by #35 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:09 am

I hear it a lot, too.

One of the big deals about these ceremonies mostly revolves around families who are having their kid become the first in their family to attend college. They are also recruiting tools for the colleges, especially for the minor sports, such as bowling, letting everyone know that their college exists. Colleges use them to tell everyone there, "Look who we rounded up!" High schools use them to tell everyone nearby "Here is a (name) High School success!"

My biggest pet peeve about these signings is this: I hear from athletes on Twitter, or personally through my profession, declare that they will be attending So-and-So - this info is all I need to break the news that the athlete has committed somewhere. So we put it in the newspaper. Then we are constantly nagged about whether or not we are going to cover the kid's actual signing ceremony - even if we've put it in the newspaper 2 weeks ago. What more am I going to write about that hasn't already been written about?

Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down