Dave Duerson Act

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Dave Duerson Act

Post by Head Skin on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:54 pm

19delta wrote:I'm against it because it gives self-serving bureaucrats even more control over our personal lives than they already have. You don't want your kid to play youth football? Fine. Don't let him play. But the government should not have the authority to criminalize voluntary activities.
So, there shouldn't be any governmental regulations on driving? That's voluntary.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Head Skin wrote:
19delta wrote:I'm against it because it gives self-serving bureaucrats even more control over our personal lives than they already have. You don't want your kid to play youth football? Fine. Don't let him play. But the government should not have the authority to criminalize voluntary activities.
So, there shouldn't be any governmental regulations on driving?  That's voluntary.

Yes.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 am

So, if someone kills you by driving recklessly that's on you for voluntarily driving?
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:45 am

Head Skin wrote:So, if someone kills you by driving recklessly that's on you for voluntarily driving?

What does that have to do with whether or not someone has a driver’s license or car registration?

The purpose of laws should be only to protect life, liberty, and property and that should be done in the least restrictive manner possible.

19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:08 am

19delta wrote:
Head Skin wrote:So, if someone kills you by driving recklessly that's on you for voluntarily driving?

What does that have to do with whether or not someone has a driver’s license or car registration?

The purpose of laws should be only to protect life, liberty, and property and that should be done in the least restrictive manner possible.

Is trying to keep 12 and under year olds from having their brains potentially scrambled by adults trying to live vicariously through them not protecting life?

I mean, kids are eating detergent. Do you really think they're able to determine the long term risks of playing a sport their dad's want them to play?
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:33 am

Head Skin wrote:
19delta wrote:

Is trying to keep 12 and under year olds from having their brains potentially scrambled by adults trying to live vicariously through them not protecting life?

I mean, kids are eating detergent.  Do you really think they're able to determine the long term risks of playing a sport their dad's want them to play?

Here’s the short version for you:

More government = less freedom
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:13 pm

I would bet my bottom dollar that there would be multiple people on this board that would test positive for CTE,

Is that why people from Sterling can't read??  Laughing cheers
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm

I don't think that is is a terrible law but no a huge fan of the government telling me how to raise my kids.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:40 pm

I interviewed with Carol Sente when she was active in her father's company SRBL Architects and FGM Construction.

I did not get the job - they wanted a PR/Marketing guy who was a bit more subtle and less heavy handed than was my reputation.

She's a delicate flower, in my opinion.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Huck on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm

I am torn on this one.  I played one year of JFL somewhere around 2nd or 3rd grade.  The only memories I have of it were running ridiculously long laps and getting yelled at a lot.  So I quit.  Did not play again until high school.  Played well enough without any JFL experience/teaching to play 4 more years at a Div. III school.  I can't say the lack of JFL prevented me from going Div. I, because the lack of DI speed did, something that JFL certainly wasn't going to give me.  I've coached football for the 22 years since then.  Whether or not someone has played JFL means nothing to me as a coach.  Bad habits learned in JFL can be corrected, and skills can be taught to those who don't have them.  Concussions gotten in JFL because a coach can't or won't teach properly, or because a kid's body isn't able to handle the impacts can't be corrected.  My son, who is currently in 4th grade, will not get to play football until 7th at the earliest, most likely not until H.S.

There was an article in Bloomington's Pantagraph recently about a 40+ year youth coach and his opinion on the proposed legislation.  Everything seemed reasonable until he started talking about how if you removed younger players from JFL it would wreck all JFL because the younger ones are better fund raisers.  Seems the older players are tired of fundraising by the time they get to 7th and 8th grades and don't do it.  This kind of deviation from the topic troubles me, even if what he says is 100% accurate.  Even for an article about the topic, he couldn't stay focused on the issue.  How could I be certain he can when he coaches?

Ordinarily I would want the courts to stay out of this.  Let people weigh the evidence and decide for themselves. But people aren't really deciding for themselves.  They are deciding for their children.   And I honestly believe the average person is dumb.  People who say "I played football and turned out fine" when others would seriously disagree that this person is indeed fine.  That's not meant to be a judgment.  I know lots of good dumb people. Heck, I am probably one of them.

For people who wonder why it's football and not other sports, my opinion is that it is because it's the hot topic right now.  That sucks but it is reality.  And I think the other sports that cause concussions will get their turns, but someone has to be first.

It's too bad that there can't be a "cigarette warning label" type of solution to this problem.  Force people (especially youth coaches- I KNOW there are some good ones out there, but I have met very few) to be exposed to the facts, and if they can ignore them, or be confident that their coach/system/technique is safer and it is worth the risk, then so be it.
Huck
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2