Go down

Dave Duerson Act

Post by tm on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:31 pm

tm
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: Dave Duerson Act

Post by net on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:35 pm

have been emailing a couple guys back and forth this morning. i'm fine with it. kids shouldn't be playing before 6th grade.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghengis Khan on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:39 pm

I agree with Net.

I saw this somewhere, I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else online, but this sounds like a nice alternative to full contact.
https://tacklebar.com/

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tm on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:40 pm

I don't know if it's still the case, but when I was a kid 30ish..... years ago, Sterling played flag football through 6th grade.
tm
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:50 pm

net wrote:have been emailing a couple guys back and forth this morning. i'm fine with it. kids shouldn't be playing before 6th grade.
Agreed.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:01 pm

net wrote:have been emailing a couple guys back and forth this morning. i'm fine with it. kids shouldn't be playing before 6th grade.

Agreed.
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Head Skin wrote:
Agreed.

I agree with Head Skin.....again.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 pm

I also think it's a good idea.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Teetime wrote:
Head Skin wrote:
Agreed.

I agree with Head Skin.....again.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:08 pm

I found this which was published back in September. I don't think it's a bad idea.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/sports/football/tackle-football-brain-youth.html
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:55 pm

I wouldnt care we had zero Junior Football Period. I actually think it would help our High School Progams numbers. I think a lot of kids can get burnt out, get run off by some ass hat that thinks he is the next big thing in Coaching or gets screwed over by some kids dad who wants his Son to be the star.

Been almost 25 years since I was a freshman and we had Junior Football for just one year before that.

Enrollment 1994 - 430 to 450
Enrollment 2018 - 330 to 350 Range last few years

We used to have Freshman Classes between 25-35 kids my Freshman group started with over 40. These days we are thrilled if we hit 15 even though the trend is more like 10 lately.

There are plenty other reasons kids arent playing these days but I think some of my reasons are true as well.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am

I agree with all the comments made so far. Flag Football to get the kids interested and having FUN. Then progress to Tackle Football in 7th Grade.
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 am

It's funny the Chicago Tribune wrote an article about this and made statements in the article as if there was concern among football coaches...the only coaches quoted were junior tackle guys.  I think by and large, high school coaches would be okay with this, which I am.

Last edited by lefty120 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach53 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 am

I hope it passes truthfully. Growing up in Springfield we didn't start tackle football until 6th grade and most of us turned out ok. The problem is the "Friday Night Tykes" generation want their 5 year old kids to be Ray Lewis and the rest of the country tries to mimic that and football isn't the same in other states. I think that flag football up until 7th grade would be fine, as long as middle school football can be implemented.

Coach53
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 am

I think it would be very interesting to poll every high school head coach in the state and see what their thoughts are on this...I'd be willing to bet the general public would be shocked to find that a majority of us are in favor of this law and would back it!

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 am

No reason for tackle below 5th grade. 5-6th, I'm indifferent. 7th & 8th grade should be okay. I think having tackle for younger kids is great to offer an opportunity for kids to play, but the amount of wanna be Nick Sabans prowling the sidelines of your local JFL has ruined the sport. I've seen it first hand in my community. Too many kids get turned off because of lack of playing time and know-it-all coaches. It should be seen as an avenue to develop athletic skills, resiliency characteristics, and FUN. That's no longer the case.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:40 am

We have a pretty solid program here and I back it 100%. Both my older boys have and are playing and they enjoy it...because they get to play. My only complaint about our program is we have 45 kids on our J.V. team which is comprised of 5th and 6th graders and 15-20 of them play most of the time. That stuff is killing us at the high school level. By in large, I am very luck with the coaches we have and how they treat the kids and coach them. The problem is kids get tired of standing around on the sidelines and know when they get to high school, the time commitment is only going to grow and they still are going to struggle for playing time.

I have for a long time been in favor of limiting the ages of Jr. Tackle. It'll be interesting to see how this progresses.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 am

lefty120 wrote:I think it would be very interesting to poll every high school head coach in the state and see what their thoughts are on this...I'd be willing to bet the general public would be shocked to find that a majority of us are in favor of this law and would back it!
Agreed.

I bet a lot of HS HCs would be in favor of no youth football whatsoever.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Jim Unruh, who has won a game or two in his career, was asked at a clinic how he dealt with not having football until the 9th grade level when many of his competitors had it at least the junior high level. And, his response was he was actually glad kids in his district didn't play until then. Over the years, the Illini West communities have added it at the lower levels but it is a somewhat recent development.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Many of you have no problem with tackle football not being played by the young 'uns.  Some of you seem to be for the law because you think it would actually boost participation at the high school level.  I get that, but that's not what this proposed law is about.

Come on now...A LAW prohibiting a sport being played by kids?  Because of injuries?  

What sport is next?

Last edited by ramblinman on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:39 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Jim Unruh, who has won a game or two in his career, was asked at a clinic how he dealt with not having football until the 9th grade level when many of his competitors had it at least the junior high level.  And, his response was he was actually glad kids in his district didn't play until then.  Over the years, the Illini West communities have added it at the lower levels but it is a somewhat recent development.

Bad habits are often hard to break. You get a kid who spends 6 years in JFL doing things the wrong way that can be tough to fix. Unruh gets the kids from Scratch and gets to implement his techniques his way. I think DuQuoin was another school who didnt have JFL for a very long time and that had great program numbers and success despite that.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm

ramblinman wrote:Many of you have no problem with tackle football not being played by the young 'uns.  Some of you seem to be for the law because you think it would actually boost participation at the high school level.  I get that, but that's not what this proposed law is about.

Come on now...A LAW prohibiting a sport being played by kids?  Because of injuries?  

What sport is next?
The government already regulates all sorts of things that they deem dangerous from seat belts to what size pop you can or should drink. Why should sport be different?
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm

ramblinman wrote:Many of you have no problem with tackle football not being played by the young 'uns.  Some of you seem to be for the law because you think it would actually boost participation at the high school level.  I get that, but that's not what this proposed law is about.

What sport is next?

Ski Jumping
Cliff Diving
Mountain Climbing
Automatic weapon usage on the firing range
Motorcycle racing
Automobile racing

Stuff that is really dangerous.

I don't see the problem with keeping soft little kids brains from dangerous sports, lines of work, smoking, adult strength drugs, driving cars, or working over eight hours in a day.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:56 pm

i am a huge fan of this. i too hope it passes. as someone who has dealt professionally, with youth sports and concussions i think it is 2 fold. I think the age should be 14 though. I dont know where 12 is coming from? i haven't seen research showing a delineation in the age? Why expose them in 7 and 8th, get them to high school where there is more properly trained staff.

1- there is not enough training that can be done to put coaches in proper positions of these developing neurological systems to impact a positive change. i have seen youth leagues make leaps and bounds changes and still i am seeing concussions that fell thru the cracks. a 4 hour course isn't not enough to prepare these families to adequately monitor their young families whom they have a lot of time invested in and want to see them succeed. not enough training and too much sentimental attachment.

2- proper training from good coaches on technique only goes so far into the avoidance of a TBI, it does not eliminate it. the difference is a low grade concussion to a 6 year old means a lot more developmentally then it does to a 16 year old. although it can happen in any sport, it is much more frequent in youth football.

I would bet my bottom dollar that there would be multiple people on this board that would test positive for CTE, self included, on a post mortem study from the cumulative effects of repetitive micro trauma to the brain. I have no proof for the statement I just made, but my training and knowledge alone has lead me to that conclusion, and that scares the hell outta me for my boy. (one or two people we may be seeing the effects literally in front of our eyes).

There is nothing lost by playing flag at an early age and getting these kids more active, decreasing the needs for heavy lineman, and making the sport as safe as possible at an early age. I think it could have a long term positive effect in regards to bringing the size of football players down, which would inherently make it safer.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 am

I'm against it because it gives self-serving bureaucrats even more control over our personal lives than they already have. You don't want your kid to play youth football? Fine. Don't let him play. But the government should not have the authority to criminalize voluntary activities.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next