1a Wrasslin' shakeup...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1a Wrasslin' shakeup...

Post by 19delta on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Dakota beat defending 1a state champ Lena-Stockton last night 36-33. It is only the second loss Lena-Stockton has suffered over the past two seasons.

http://www.wrex.com/story/37240725/2018/01/Thursday/dakota-edges-top-ranked-lena-winslow-stockton-in-big-wrestling-showdown
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Re: 1a Wrasslin' shakeup...

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 pm

LeWin is having a nice little run in the past 2-3 years in all sports.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Head Skin wrote:LeWin is having a nice little run in the past 2-3 years in all sports. †

Your alma mater has a nice team this year.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm

OldTitan wrote:
Head Skin wrote:LeWin is having a nice little run in the past 2-3 years in all sports. †

Your alma mater has a nice team this year.
So I have heard. It's been a long road back, but I'm glad to see they're having success in something again...

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Every year, they are pretty much good in all sports. Lena had almost 60 boys out for football this year from a school of 226 kids. Figure that of those kids, half are boys. That would be about 115 male students. So, they had over half the boys in the school playing football. Incredible.

And almost all of those football players are 2 or 3 sport athletes. It is just one heck of a well-run athletic department. The coaches do a great job of supporting each other by encouraging kids to go out for other sports. Unfortunately, that isn't the case in a lot of the schools around here.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm talking about on a state level. Wasn't too long ago their wrestling team was almost non existent on the state level. Same for basketball.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Head Skin wrote:I'm talking about on a state level. †Wasn't too long ago their wrestling team was almost non existent on the state level. †Same for basketball.

I'm not sure when they started co-oping with Stockton. My understanding is that most of the kids on the wrestling team are Stockton kids. I'm sure that has a lot to do with their rise to prominence over the past few years in wrestling.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 am

Interesting when you look at the number of ranked kids here from each school to try to guess how that will play out in a team tourney format.

http://illinoismatmen.com/go-earn-it-wrestling-apparel-class-1a-individual-rankings/

I guess you could have five studs with golds and lose the rest of the matches and be eliminated.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:13 am

Nine 1A guys represented in "best of class regardless of class" rankings.
http://illinoismatmen.com/2018/01/11/illinois-matmen-high-school-power-rankings-11118/

crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 am

crusader wrote:Nine 1A guys represented in "best of class regardless of class" rankings.
http://illinoismatmen.com/2018/01/11/illinois-matmen-high-school-power-rankings-11118/

Looking at that list, there is one kid from Petersburg (Porta) and nobody else in the "Springfield area".

Washington, Champaign/Urbana, Bloomington all are represented but there isn't a top wrestler near here.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am

crusader wrote:Interesting when you look at the number of ranked kids here from each school to try to guess how that will play out in a team tourney format.

http://illinoismatmen.com/go-earn-it-wrestling-apparel-class-1a-individual-rankings/

I guess you could have five studs with golds and lose the rest of the matches and be eliminated.
When we got 2nd in state my Jr year we only had one kid who had won a match at the individual tournament. I want to say we only had 4 qualify. †Team wrestling is an entirely different animal. †If you have 5 really good guys and 9 dogs, you're going to get killed by a solid all around team. †Potentially you could lose 30-54.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:15 am

Teetime wrote:
crusader wrote:Nine 1A guys represented in "best of class regardless of class" rankings.

Looking at that list, there is one kid from Petersburg (Porta) and nobody else in the "Springfield area".

Washington, Champaign/Urbana, Bloomington all are represented but there isn't a top wrestler near here.
Outside Porta, in the past 20 years the patch has been a wrestling desert. The city schools haven't been respectable in their classes since maybe the early 80s under the Gardners. Decatur public schools are even worse.

But, there aren't many programs in the area. Besides the Patch schools I can only think of Porta, Taylorville, Glenwood and relatively new programs like New Berlin and Auburn even around there.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 pm

It is odd how there are "hot spots" in the state for different sports. Champaign County for cross country for example.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm

The North Shore for LAX, hockey, tennis and golf. The expensive sports.

Baseball seems geographically distributed ... a team can ride a couple of pitchers through the tourney.

Collinsville and Granite City used to THE soccer capital ... not sure why that has lagged in recent years.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:06 pm

OldTitan wrote:It is odd how there are "hot spots" in the state for different sports. Champaign County for cross country for example.
I wonder if that has to do with quality coaches getting one program rolling and his prodigies taking the formula to area schools? I would imagine that could be the case with XC. I know it has a similar effect in wrestling.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm

crusader wrote:Interesting when you look at the number of ranked kids here from each school to try to guess how that will play out in a team tourney format.

Lena-Stockton won the 1a team title last year but only had 4 kids place in the individual tournament. None of them finished better than 3rd.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 pm

OldTitan wrote:It is odd how there are "hot spots" in the state for different sports. Champaign County for cross country for example.

Outside of Dakota and Lena-Stockton, wrestling is an underground sport in NW Illinois. This is big-time basketball country. But if you get over around the quad cities, there's some pretty good wrestling tradition in a lot of those schools.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 am

19delta wrote:But if you get over around the quad cities, there's some pretty good wrestling tradition in a lot of those schools.

Probably because it is closer to Iowa.

I was surprised Savanna was such a powerhouse in wrestling in the 70s and early 80s. The same Savanna that went on to set a state mark for football futility.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:39 am

19delta wrote:

Outside of Dakota and Lena-Stockton, wrestling is an underground sport in NW Illinois. This is big-time basketball country. But if you get over around the quad cities, there's some pretty good wrestling tradition in a lot of those schools.

I donít know if this is true when 1/2 of the state medal winners at individual state come from the NW sectional.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawgdad on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm

I see that as result of key individuals that influence the others around them to rise to their levels. In your XC example... What Neil has at MS can be directly linked to Jim Acklin at SJO - his "15pts" license plates really said it all - his runners took places 1-5 at state meet!! their motivation... to make varsity team they had to beat Jim... Even in the girls XC realm, Sandy Menele at Unity and John King at MS paved the way for Bonnie M. at M-S by producing quality teams for many consecutive years. A tradition was spawned and cultivated. Others in the area saw what was going on and made efforts to catch up or exceed them, thus producing the hot spot.

That said - you cant make chicken salad out of chicken feces and good athletes will make a great coach but in any sport.

But, If you do not have a champion for excellence in the front, It aint gonna happen.
Dawgdad
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Head Skin wrote:
19delta wrote:

I donít know if this is true when 1/2 of the state medal winners at individual state come from the NW sectional.

I think that sectional is at Oregon and is huge. It includes schools from the south suburbs all the way to the Mississippi. As far as NW Illinois goes (assuming Stephenson, Jo Davies, and Carroll counties), Lena-Stockton and Dakota are the only names in wrestling that matter. Most of the other schools in the area either don't have wrestling or if they do, they don't come close to even filling their weight classes.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Letís welcome a new #1 ranked team to 1A team wrestling and that is Aurora Christian.

This is only the second year of the program and they are currently ranked #1.

They also go to the Oregon Sectional. Sounds like they have a few kids that would attend Plano and Montini on their roster.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am

center wrote:Letís welcome a new #1 ranked team to 1A team wrestling and that is Aurora Christian.

This is only the second year of the program and they are currently ranked #1.

They also go to the Oregon Sectional. Sounds like they have a few kids that would attend Plano and Montini on their roster.
We shouldn't feel to sorry for Montini. I think they may be the #1 ranked team in the nation right now. If not 1, they're definitely 2-4.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Dawgdad wrote:

I see that as result of key individuals that influence the others around them to rise to their levels. In your XC example... What Neil has at MS can be directly linked to Jim Acklin at SJO - his "15pts" license plates really said it all - his runners took places 1-5 at state meet!! their motivation... to make varsity team they had to beat Jim... †Even in the girls XC realm, Sandy Menele at Unity and John King at MS paved the way for Bonnie M. at M-S by producing quality teams for many consecutive years. †A tradition was spawned and cultivated. †Others in the area saw what was going on and made efforts to catch up or exceed them, thus producing the hot spot. †

That said - you cant make chicken salad out of chicken feces and good athletes will make a great coach but in any sport.

But, If you do not have a champion for excellence in the front, It aint gonna happen. †

As a XC/Track stats nerd, St. Joes has never scored 15 points at the state meet. †46 is their best score which was 91-92 season. Must have done it in a sectional or regional?
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Head Skin wrote:
I wonder if that has to do with quality coaches getting one program rolling and his prodigies taking the formula to area schools? †I would imagine that could be the case with XC. †I know it has a similar effect in wrestling.

I know with SJO, for example, you now have former SJO runners (Acklin disciples) who are heading up the JH program and starting the kids younger and developing them along the lines of a HS program. When they hit the HS level, they are primed to excel. Heck, some 5th graders are logging 200-300 mile summers.

SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next