Da Bears...

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Da Bears...

Post by Head Skin on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Are they trying to be the worst franchise in the NFL?
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Re: Da Bears...

Post by tincup1215 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 pm

What are your thoughts on the Nagy hire? I'm kind of happy to have an OC who's not from the Canadien Football league
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 pm

On the surface, I like the hire, but I will admit I don't know the Chiefs well enough to know how much of the playcalling was him and how much was Reid.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm

I told our bball coach this- what will annoy me is he will be billed as a "young, innovative offensive mind", when in reality he's only ever coached with Andy Reid who runs maybe the most traditional, old school West Coast rooted offense in the league.

Past that, I think it's the Bears reaching for a cheap hire to placate their fanbase. A fanbase who absolutely drooled over Trestman after running Lovie out of town.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach53 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 pm

"Only ever coached with Andy Reid" but they have won 53 games over the last 5 seasons.

I think it is a good hire, especially if he can keep Fangio around running the defense.

My question is this, WHO else is out there to hire?

And not all of the Bears fanbase liked the Trestman hire. I for one hated it.

Coach53
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:54 pm

3 words.

Jim. Bob. Cooter.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:45 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:3 words.

Jim. Bob. Cooter.
As in, this guy is basically Jim Bob without the breaking into people's homes?
He was arrested in 2009 on an aggravated burglary charge after getting into bed with a woman by climbing through a window of her Fort Sanders apartment.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Head Skin wrote: Andy Reid who runs maybe the most traditional, old school West Coast rooted offense in the league.

I watched a lot of Chiefs football this season and this was not my impression at all. Now, I am most definitely an Andy Reid fan, but I was impressed by a lot of his twists on offensive concepts this season. I don't think he is a genius, but I thought he stretched the envelope a lot.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Coach53 wrote:"Only ever coached with Andy Reid" but they have won 53 games over the last 5 seasons.

I think it is a good hire, especially if he can keep Fangio around running the defense.

Of which, he was apparently a play calling OC for 4 games.  

The Bears hired Andy Reid's QB coach.  I have to imagine there's at least a handful of actual coordinators looking for jobs.  Heck, the have a better candidate on staff in Fangio.  Him, along with both NE coordinators, and maybe even their head guy, and you have at least 3.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Nagy did a pretty good job with Alex Smith this year. I think it is fair to think that he can replicate that success with Trubisky.

Now if Nagy can bring Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and Kareen Hunt with him to Chicago, they might have something cooking! Very Happy

19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 pm

OldTitan wrote:
Head Skin wrote: Andy Reid who runs maybe the most traditional, old school West Coast rooted offense in the league.

I watched a lot of Chiefs football this season and this was not my impression at all. Now, I am most definitely an Andy Reid fan, but I was impressed by a lot of his twists on offensive concepts this season. I don't think he is a genius, but I thought he stretched the envelope a lot.

Agreed.

I thought they actually did a lot of nontraditional stuff this year. Spread option stuff, especially. Stuff that Smith is pretty good at. I don't know how much of that was Reid versus Nagy but it was definitely not just old-school West Coast stuff.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 am

Head Skin wrote:
SIFBCoach7 wrote:3 words.

Jim. Bob. Cooter.
As in, this guy is basically Jim Bob without the breaking into people's homes?
He was arrested in 2009 on an aggravated burglary charge after getting into bed with a woman by climbing through a window of her Fort Sanders apartment.

Sometimes you just need a little lovin'.

* I had never heard of this charge. I'm okay with Nagy, but I feel Reid had more influence on the play-calling. Time will tell. At least they didn't go with some retread.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach53 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:52 am

Head Skin wrote:
Coach53 wrote:"Only ever coached with Andy Reid" but they have won 53 games over the last 5 seasons.

Of which, he was apparently a play calling OC for 4 games.  

The Bears hired Andy Reid's QB coach.  I have to imagine there's at least a handful of actual coordinators looking for jobs.  Heck, the have a better candidate on staff in Fangio.  Him, along with both NE coordinators, and maybe even their head guy, and you have at least 3.

I forget about the NE guys. Early rumor is Patricia is going to the Lions. I am still concerned with McDaniels though, just because he proved before he wasn't ready or capable to handle the NFL head coaching position.

Fangio would have been a bandaid on a massive wound in my opinion. Great DC, not sure about HC.

The norm now is hire a young gun and see what happens. I am just glad they hired an offensive mind.

Coach53
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by lefty120 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 am

Just my opinion, but it seems to me he's been pretty multiple, especially the last several years. Now that being said, I too am concerned about Nagy and his lack of play calling experience...4 games and now he's going to do it with the HC responsibilities too? As a die hard Bears fan, that's a concern.

At the end of the day, lets be real honest...it really makes no difference who the coach is, if they don't get more depth up front and add play makers on the perimeter it's not going to matter. They're roster is very thin, and not just on offense. And whether you like him or not, Pace made a very real point New Years Day when he said they have got to get the soft tissue injury situation figured out.

lefty120
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm

I think the media’s drooling over the hiring of a Qb coach is disturbing. I mean, there’s a whole bunch of other positions on the field this guy has to worry about.

In fact one photo caption said something along the lines of “The only relationship that matters” on the Bears with Nagy and Tribusky pictured. They’re still going to have to do a whole bunch of other stuff. Trestman was hell of a Qb coach for Rich Gannon too.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Where we do agree Skin is that this hire smells of "Get me the next McVay!"
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Harry Hiestand for O Line. Good hire there!
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Head Skin wrote:I think the media’s drooling over the hiring of a Qb coach is disturbing.  I mean, there’s a whole bunch of other positions on the field this guy has to worry about.

In fact one photo caption said something along the lines of “The only relationship that matters” on the Bears with Nagy and Tribusky pictured.  They’re still going to have to do a whole bunch of other stuff.  Trestman was hell of a Qb coach for Rich Gannon too.

That photo caption is spot-on, and probably 95% accurate. In the NFL, the position that matters exponentially more than all other positions IS the QB. There are WAY more good NFL coaches than there are good NFL quarterbacks.

If Trubisky can at least reach an Andy Daltonesque level of competency, Nagy will do fine. That's because having an above average NFL QB automatically elevates the play of everyone else. Hell...look what happened in Green Bay this year after Rogers got hurt for proof of that. What about John Fox? In 2014, he was a highly-esteemed NFL coach who had led two different franchises to the Super Bowl and was 30 games over .500 during a 13-year head coaching career. 4 years later, he gets run out of town. In both those cases (and in countless more) the head coach either lost a great QB or never had one in the first place.

That's why I don't think that Nagy's experience or lack thereof matters that much. If he can help Trubisky develop into an above average NFL QB, then that will automatically make everything else he needs to do easier and better. On the other hand, if Trubisky doesn't develop or is just bad, the Bears will struggle and Nagy will get fired in 3 or 4 years.

I think that this phenomenon is specific to the NFL only. College football and high school football are far less QB centric. But the NFL is all about the QB. So that's why I don't think Nagy is a terrible hire (or is not any better or any worse than whomever the other candidates were).
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 am

We'll see how this works out.  Part of me appreciates the Bears are taking a somewhat unique approach in who they draft and who they hire as coach.  But, as Jerry Seinfeld once said, "Sometimes the road less travelled...is less travelled for a reason!!"

Last edited by wolverine55 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:02 am

Twitterrumor is that Nagy has courted Mark Helfrich as OC. That wouldn't be terrible.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 am

OSUBucks wrote: Harry Hiestand for O Line. Good hire there!

Harry is the best. 2nd stint for him with the Bears.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:Twitterrumor is that Nagy has courted Mark Helfrich as OC.  That wouldn't be terrible.
Apparently a done deal.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Helfrich and Hiestand are great hires.  Makes the Nagy decision look that much better. I like where they are going at this point.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Now just get some skill on the perimeter to help out Trubisky. Maybe another LB in the draft like Roquan Smith, or I'd take an impact DB like Fitzpatrick. Hopefully everyone else in the top 10 wants to draft those QB's.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Honestly, I thought Fox had a solid staff. I think we all realize, coaching is not the problem with the Bears.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top