Proposed Changes in Playoffs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Proposed Changes in Playoffs

Post by OldTitan on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 am

* 48 teams in each class = 384 total teams
Top 16 teams receive a Round 1 bye - 8 byes in each half of the bracket
All teams with 4 and 5 wins would have qualified, along with 51 teams that won 3 games.
3 teams with 3 wins would not have qualified. No teams with 0, 1, or 2 wins would have qualified.
We would need an 8-game regular season to play this format.
72% of teams would play 9 games. The ninth game would be a playoff game.

* 56 teams in each class = 448 total teams
Top 8 teams receive a Round 1 bye - 4 byes in each half of the bracket
All teams with 2, 3, 4, and 5 wins would have qualified, along with 5 teams that won 1 game.
45 teams with 1 win would not have qualified. No teams with 0 wins would have qualified.
84% of teams would play 9 games. The ninth game would be a playoff game.

* 64 teams in each class = 512 total teams
No byes - All teams play a Round 1 game
All teams with 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 wins would have qualified, along with 19 teams that won 0 games.
21 teams would not have qualified for the playoffs. All of these teams did not win a game.
96% of teams would play 9 games. The ninth game would be a playoff game.

The IHSA has put out a survey on possible changes to the playoff structure. The stated goal is to make scheduling easier and to reduce conference jumping.

These proposals have generally been intended to slow or stop the conference changes in Illinois as schools seem to be positioning their football team for a better chance at success and therefore a better chance at qualifying for the playoffs. A significant part of the rationales from these proposals have been to make regular season scheduling simpler with a focus on somehow eliminating the “Drive for Five”. Many schools feel that if the “Drive for Five” doesn’t exist, they will be able to create a better football schedule as more schools will likely be willing to play one another if they know that a loss to a certain school might not necessarily eliminate them from playoff consideration.

I do not see how any of the proposed solutions would accomplish these goals. Everyone would still be trying to schedule wins to improve their positions in the brackets. Districts is the only fix I see to address the scheduling problem.

I told my A.D. and principal I don't care how they change the playoff structure, but I would be against bye weeks.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Re: Proposed Changes in Playoffs

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:03 am

You know what they say If It Aint broke dont go and fix.....

How many legit teams are missing the playoffs every year because of their competition??? Ill say probably more in the larger school classes than the smaller classes.

What does going 3-5 and getting knocked out round one and finishing 3-6 do that finishing 3-6 and missing the playoffs does not?

Districts IMO are not the answer either. You are still going to have schools very unhappy with where they are placed there is truely no perfect solution. Not many teams enjoy a 69-35 loss but we got alot more out of Playing Herscher this year and losing that game by that score than by playing someone like say Milford instead.

In the last 3 Years I have

2015 Missed the playoffs at 4-5 Lost Week 9
2016 Made the playoffs at 5-4 Tied for last team in needed some breaks on pairings day
2017 Made playoffs as Conference Champion

2015 we were a very young team with just 9 Upperclassmen. We lost our first two games to non conf opponents Prairie Central and St. Joe Ogden. Had we played a cupcake we probably get in with that group. Never did we think it was unfair we didnt get in. Did we ask the question if we had played someone different Weeks 1-2 could we have gotten in yes we did. At the end of the day we still felt our schedule was the right one with our long term goals in mind.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Hitter, you are right on point.

Take our schedule next year, our (old) AD certainly did not do us any favors.
Week 1- You guys
Week 2- Paxton
Week 3- Conference opponent
Week 4- Momence

We are going to be 1A next year with around 280 kids. I know that two of those games were mandated cross overs with your conference, but what the heck? Playing the #1, #2, and #4 team in another conference, while still having to play your own good teams like Westville, Bismark, Salt Fork, and Oakwood is not really giving your team a chance to qualify for any playoff system. Granted we have some cupcakes in Hoopeston and Milford, if they actually are going to play varsity this year.

We could be a decent 3-6 team next year. Much of this scheduling problem is a result of our geographic problem being right up against the Indiana border. Conferences around us are either locked or too big.

As OT said, I am also not in favor of a buy week for teams. Give those good teams a week off and they will be even better.(get healthy, more scout opportunity, more practice time, and the other teams are more beat up = bigger blow outs vs teams that already are not good)

So maybe all of this places us back to same spot as maybe our playoff system, while not perfect is not as bad as some of the alternatives proposed.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:19 pm

I think for the Average team there is always 1 or 2 Games you can count on for a win and there are probably 1 or 2 games that you can probably count on not winning. In between leaves 5 games or so where you can compete with a legit chance to win.

General your AD is a Genius!!!

He got us after graduating 18 of 22 Starters!

PBL lost quite a bit too I cant see them being as good as they were last year

Momence Normally when you bring back the 3 Skill kids they got at QB, RB and WR you would be afraid but their numbers are pretty low and their line play has been brutal the last few years. The best guys they did have moved on.

Doesnt Westville and Salt Fork lose quite a bit and you guys have a ton of guys back. While it doesnt sound easy on paper its also not impossible.

I do agree with your point on being on the eastern border of the state and finding games. Very similar to West hanock over on the other state having a hard time finding games and a conference home.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:40 am

The only reason I am attracted to districts is if they want to accomplish their stated goals - it is the only solution I see. I am also tired of chasing games.

I actually enjoy the current playoff system a fair amount.

I won't be disappointed if we don't change.

I do not want byes, because when we make a long run the weekly rhythm because more important to our team. Really tough to keep kids focused in a bye week.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:24 pm

As I said to you Hitter on the Tweeter, I'm in favor of anything that ends conference jumping and guys losing their jobs for going 4-5 instead of 5-4.

There's a reason there's 40some hc jobs open in Illinois right now. I think this current climate of thinking 4-5 is failure while 5-4 is success without any investigation into other factors is a big part of that.

I think another solution I'd call week 9 a "qualifying round" and week 10 is playoffs. That should shut up some of the letter jacket wearers.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Here is a mock district for Class 2A I set up today https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TwQZFb9VeS0tu_ekIhxEctqkHMorgcRb0NcN6_fUHbY/edit?usp=sharing

First I took the tentative football classes put out prior to the season by the IHSA http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities...fb/enrolln.htm

I had to weed out the Chicago Schools that didnt last the whole season. I needed even number so I had to pull a couple teams just on the bubble and fit them into districts that needed a team Geographically.....Auburn, Nashville, Trenton Wesclin. Got rid of Aurora Christian since they are losing multiplier and added Watseka who is most likely dropping Co op. Gave me Six districts with 8 and 2 Districts with 10.

4 Districts North and 4 Districts in South A,B,C and D. Each district plays 8 games total. Only the 7 District games count towards the playoffs.

For the playoffs the Top 4 Teams in each District have no chance of playing each other in the first 3 rounds. They are assigned to different regionals for playoffs. The Spread Sheet shows this 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C etc you will see.

For the Final Four there will be a blind draw for the Subsectional's

For the Week 9 Game The IHSA receives no money and is a 50/50 Split between schools.

Ill let you enjoy and I bring more info over
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:Here is a mock district for Class 2A I set up today https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TwQZFb9VeS0tu_ekIhxEctqkHMorgcRb0NcN6_fUHbY/edit?usp=sharing

First I took the tentative football classes put out prior to the season by the IHSA http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities...fb/enrolln.htm

I had to weed out the Chicago Schools that didnt last the whole season. I needed even number so I had to pull a couple teams just on the bubble and fit them into districts that needed a team Geographically.....Auburn, Nashville, Trenton Wesclin. Got rid of Aurora Christian since they are losing multiplier and added Watseka who is most likely dropping Co op. Gave me Six districts with 8 and 2 Districts with 10.

4 Districts North and 4 Districts in South A,B,C and D. Each district plays 8 games total. Only the 7 District games count towards the playoffs.

For the playoffs the Top 4 Teams in each District have no chance of playing each other in the first 3 rounds. They are assigned to different regionals for playoffs. The Spread Sheet shows this 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C etc you will see.

For the Final Four there will be a blind draw for the Subsectional's

For the Week 9 Game The IHSA receives no money and is a 50/50 Split between schools.

Ill let you enjoy and I bring more info over

you must be on vacation.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Nope but everyone else around these parts pretty much is.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:55 am

I don't think option 3 will even be possible relatively soon.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:I think for the Average team there is always 1 or 2 Games you can count on for a win and there are probably 1 or 2 games that you can probably count on not winning.  In between leaves 5 games or so where you can compete with a legit chance to win.

General your AD is a Genius!!!

He got us after graduating 18 of 22 Starters!

PBL lost quite a bit too I cant see them being as good as they were last year

Momence Normally when you bring back the 3 Skill kids they got at QB, RB and WR you would be afraid but their numbers are pretty low and their line play has been brutal the last few years.  The best guys they did have moved on.  

Doesnt Westville and Salt Fork lose quite a bit and you guys have a ton of guys back.  While it doesnt sound easy on paper its also not impossible.

I do agree with your point on being on the eastern border of the state and finding games.  Very similar to West hanock over on the other state having a hard time finding games and a conference home.

Not sure what got me a (-) but whatever.

We kinda have lots of young kids back.

Our Old AD did nothing but schedule whomever was first to come calling with a game or whatever was the most convenient. One year we had week one open and I found 5 opponents that were open. I ranked them in order from ones we should play to ones we should avoid. Well, we played Tuscola the next year.

Just like we played Newton this last year.

Heck even the game HeadBronco and us played was a screw up on his part. We had 2 home games the year before and then he scheduled us vs Cerro Gordo as an away game to make that 4 home games. HB and I talked about having the game at our place because of the BS from the year before. Next thing I know is we are playing at their place. Our AD did not like home games.

If it happens that you guys are not experienced as usual, it was nothing but dumb luck on his part.

Back on topic, Our AD and Principal are having a meeting where they want to discuss the proposals that you are talking about before we send in our survey.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Not sure what got me a (-) but whatever.  

Wasnt me lol.  Ill throw a + your way

We kinda have lots of young kids back.  

Gotta have more than us back.  Scared to death of what our OL will look like because I Know there isnt a single Senior that has a chance to start for us much less be a back up there.  

Our Old AD did nothing but schedule whomever was first to come calling with a game or whatever was the most convenient.  One year we had week one open and I found 5 opponents that were open.  I ranked them in order from ones we should play to ones we should avoid.  Well, we played Tuscola the next year.

Sorry to give undue credit.....sucks having an AD like that but he did get lucky landing us next year as opposed to this past year.

Just like we played Newton this last year.  

Heck even the game HeadBronco and us played was a screw up on his part.  We had 2 home games the year before and then he scheduled us vs Cerro Gordo as an away game to make that 4 home games.  HB and I talked about having the game at our place because of the BS from the year before.  Next thing I know is we are playing at their place.  Our AD did not like home games.  

Fire him now!

If it happens that you guys are not experienced as usual, it was nothing but dumb luck on his part.  

Back on topic, Our AD and Principal are having a meeting where they want to discuss the proposals that you are talking about before we send in our survey.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top