Lake Zurich Settles Lawsuit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lake Zurich Settles Lawsuit

Post by Teetime on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Lake Zurich Settles Lawsuit

Post by 19delta on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 pm

It sounds like Lake Zurich has put in place measures to prevent this from happening in the future and the three guys who were probably most responsible for it are gone. Sounds like a good deal for everyone involved.

I wonder how much of that $400,000 will go to the lawyers and why the kids didn't make the school district pay the legal fees.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Must of been nice to be a player involved and receive no punishment.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 am

19delta wrote:

I wonder how much of that $400,000 will go to the lawyers and why the kids didn't make the school district pay the legal fees.

This is a guess on my part: This attorney has successfully represented plaintiff students in this type of case before. He probably received a Contingency Fee arrangement. Typically, this involves the plaintiffs paying court and filing fees. The plaintiff attorney receives a percentage of the damages - usually, one-third. Therefore, the attorney made $133,333.33 from this settlement.

An interesting aside, for most tort cases the damage award is not subject to income taxes. Hopefully, these plaintiff students use the money to further educations or as an investment nest egg. However, in my limited experience, most plaintiffs go through the money in about 18-24 months buying new vehicles and other luxuries.

With a few notable exceptions, opposing parties in U.S. tort actions are responsible for their own attorney fees regardless of the outcome. It would have been unusual to grant attorney fees outside of the settlement structure.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:42 pm

OldTitan wrote:
19delta wrote:

This is a guess on my part: This attorney has successfully represented plaintiff students in this type of case before. He probably received a Contingency Fee arrangement. Typically, this involves the plaintiffs paying court and filing fees. The plaintiff attorney receives a percentage of the damages - usually, one-third. Therefore, the attorney made $133,333.33 from this settlement.

An interesting aside, for most tort cases the damage award is not subject to income taxes. Hopefully, these plaintiff students use the money to further educations or as an investment nest egg. However, in my limited experience, most plaintiffs go through the money in about 18-24 months buying new vehicles and other luxuries.

With a few notable exceptions, opposing parties in U.S. tort actions are responsible for their own attorney fees regardless of the outcome. It would have been unusual to grant attorney fees outside of the settlement structure.

Thanks, Old T...that's good information!
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 pm

I love it when OT gets all lawyery.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content