Recruiters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Recruiters

Post by OldTitan on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:38 am

We usually have a few recruiters coming through our school after this season, but this season it seems like there are a lot more. I have a recruiter coming most every day and frequently two per day.

Years ago, I made a policy that they have to make an appointment - I teach and I do not pull athletes out of academic classes. Saves me some headaches for sure.

A lot of the college coaches tell me most high school coaches no longer respond to their inquiries, which I found odd. I always respond, even if to say that I don't have anyone for them.

Have you guys seen a surge in recruiters' activity?
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Re: Recruiters

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am

I agree with this. It used to be every now and then we would have someone show up and not it's almost daily. Even when we tell them we don't have anyone on that level--which is every year quite frankly--Iowa and Iowa St. even show up once a year.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:45 am

You are correct, there is a surge of recruiters.

Talking to a recruiter from Augie, he said two factors are at play here.

Small college staffs are bigger than ever, more guys on the road.

There are more football playing schools in the Midwest now. Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri have all had colleges start football in the last few years and nobody has dropped it.

Most of these schools are in the D3, NAIA, divisions.

And...colleges need males.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:28 am

I have yet to have a recruiter come to our school this year to my knowledge. Perhaps that is because of our record this season, perhaps it is because I have told them all when they emailed me that we only had 6 Srs and the best of them is kicker from Italy that is going back at Christmas.

I think a lot if it is also to generate the social media buzz of recruiter posts pic of school he's visiting, school's HC responds with the standard "Thank you to blah, blah, blah for visiting..." and then kid can brag he's getting "recruited" and add gratuitous hashtags.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

I have seen somewhat of an increase as well. I however do not teach at the H.S. so that makes it a logistical problem. They would have to talk to me and then go over to the H.S. And like OT said, they do not get kids out of academic classes without an appointment. So many of the recruiters that show up, get kinda blown off by the school.

Conversely, if a kid has interest in going somewhere, we get him in touch with the coaching staff.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:38 am

OldTitan wrote:We usually have a few recruiters coming through our school after this season, but this season it seems like there are a lot more. I have a recruiter coming most every day and frequently two per day.

Years ago, I made a policy that they have to make an appointment - I teach and I do not pull athletes out of academic classes. Saves me some headaches for sure.

A lot of the college coaches tell me most high school coaches no longer respond to their inquiries, which I found odd. I always respond, even if to say that I don't have anyone for them.

Have you guys seen a surge in recruiters' activity?
I will also ask this- Do you, or any others on here, remember a kid actually finding out about a particular school or getting recruited there because of one of these visits?

Seems to me like the majority of kids I've had go places got in contact with the coaches of those schools outside of the school atmosphere.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 am

I like the "blessed to receive an offer" tweets...when it is a Division 3 school that does not give athletic scholarships that they are talking about.

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:50 am

center wrote:I like the "blessed to receive an offer" tweets...when it is a Division 3 school that does not give athletic scholarships that they are talking about.

So true. Click Bait.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Head Skin wrote:
I will also ask this- Do you, or any others on here, remember a kid actually finding out about a particular school or getting recruited there because of one of these visits?

Seems to me like the majority of kids I've had go places got in contact with the coaches of those schools outside of the school atmosphere.

We have had a few. Mostly NAIA and Division 2 kids. A lot of time our kids have not heard of McKendree, St. Ambrose, Dordt, etc.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 pm

center wrote:You are correct, there is a surge of recruiters.

Talking to a recruiter from Augie, he said two factors are at play here.

Small college staffs are bigger than ever, more guys on the road.

There are more football playing schools in the Midwest now.  Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri have all had colleges start football in the last few years and nobody has dropped it.

Most of these schools are in the D3, NAIA, divisions.

And...colleges need males.

Makes sense. I wondered what were the factors in the upsurge.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

center wrote:I like the "blessed to receive an offer" tweets...when it is a Division 3 school that does not give athletic scholarships that they are talking about.

i would "like" this post a billion times if i could.

as the father of a current senior who has shown interest in playing basketball in college, i started educating myself a couple years ago regarding the whole recruiting process (such as which schools can give scholarships, how many, etc).  along the way, in talking with other parents with kids in a variety of sports, it became apparent to me that a lot of parents are ignorant when it comes to college athletics, and Division III in particular.

someone i know recently "signed" to attend a division 3 juco school to play a sport. this person had TWO "signing ceremonies". ncjaa division 3...two signing ceremonies. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ging on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Which brings up a question I have yet to have answered: when the D3 kids do the "signing day" presser...what are they actually signing? Laughing
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Which brings up a question I have yet to have answered:  when the D3 kids do the "signing day" presser...what are they actually signing? Laughing

from what i have seen, it's typically a piece of paper with the college's logo on it.
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:30 pm

I love it when the division 3 coaches HAVE to get film on a guy. Seriously? Have the kid come to your school, if he is good enough, put him on the travel squad. If he is not good enough? Well, you have done your admissions department a favor.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm

It is truly amazing how many people believe the myth of the D3 full ride. I’ve had other coaches tell me kids were getting “rides” to places like Eureka...
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:12 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Which brings up a question I have yet to have answered:  when the D3 kids do the "signing day" presser...what are they actually signing? Laughing
I’ve been on this rant before about D3 “signings” but I’ve wondered the same exact thing.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Head Skin wrote: I’ve had other coaches tell me kids were getting “rides” to places like Eureka...

you left out that they were "blessed" to be getting a ride to eureka
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm currently making the rounds to schools to "bless" kids with full and partial rides to SHG.

If any of you have any highly promising eighth grade kids, they get some really nice packages that could include a Dodge Dakota P/U for dad and an Infiniti Q50 for mom. Freshman, Sophomores and Juniors making the move to SHG will also get some nice deals but not as good as the top notch eighth grade kids. Our current needs include future OLs (3) future DLs (2) and an 8th grade and a 10th grade running back. We are all set at QB, DB and LB. Usually we create receivers out of the non-scholarship talent, so no need to apply.

If you have film and can make a sales pitch, there are "finders fees" available.

Thanks, and have a Merry Christmas!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 am

Teetime wrote:I'm currently making the rounds to schools to "bless" kids with full and partial rides to SHG.

If any of you have any highly promising eighth grade kids, they get some really nice packages that could include a Dodge Dakota P/U for dad and an Infiniti Q50 for mom. Freshman, Sophomores and Juniors making the move to SHG will also get some nice deals but not as good as the top notch eighth grade kids. Our current needs include future OLs (3) future DLs (2) and an 8th grade and a 10th grade running back. We are all set at QB, DB and LB. Usually we create receivers out of the non-scholarship talent, so no need to apply.

If you have film and can make a sales pitch, there are "finders fees" available.

Very nice. Do the Green's own an Infiniti dealership too?
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 am

Teetime wrote:I'm currently making the rounds to schools to "bless" kids with full and partial rides to SHG.

What can I get for an above average height 9 year old? Does it matter he can squat 135 and deadlift 145?
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Idiot on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:11 am

ging wrote:

as the father of a current senior who has shown interest in playing basketball in college, i started educating myself a couple years ago regarding the whole recruiting process (such as which schools can give scholarships, how many, etc).  along the way, in talking with other parents with kids in a variety of sports, it became apparent to me that a lot of parents are ignorant when it comes to college athletics, and Division III in particular.

someone i know recently "signed" to attend a division 3 juco school to play a sport.  this person had TWO "signing ceremonies".  ncjaa division 3...two signing ceremonies. Rolling Eyes
I wasn't aware there were levels of juco.
Head Idiot
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:46 am

Head Skin wrote:
ging wrote:

someone i know recently "signed" to attend a division 3 juco school to play a sport.  this person had TWO "signing ceremonies".  ncjaa division 3...two signing ceremonies. Rolling Eyes
I wasn't aware there were levels of juco.

I was not aware of Division 3.

Division Scholarship Guidelines
Division I Colleges may grant full athletic scholarships (tuition, books, fees, room & board), up to $250 in course required supplies and transportation costs one time per academic year to and from the college by direct route. Each sport has limits on the number of scholarships that can be granted.
Division II Colleges may grant athletic scholarships, but scholarships are limited to tuition, books, fees and up to $250 in course required supplies. Each sport has limits on the number of scholarships that can be granted.
Division III Colleges are not permitted to offer any athletic scholarships

I also learned they can be different levels in different sports. For example, Parkland College is Division 2 in basketball and Division 1 in soccer.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am

I just got another D3 Offer yesterday. Hype man is going to post it all over twitter, etc. Only costing me 40,000 a year to play!
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:16 am

I will add that I played D3 football myself and consider it one of the best decisions I've ever made. I don't fault people for paying that much IF it is something they truly desire to do. But, as others have said, don't make it something it isn't and claim you're getting a free ride. At best, you may be awarded some scholarships that cut the cost down.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 am

Head Skin wrote:What can I get for an above average height 9 year old?  Does it matter he can squat 135 and deadlift 145?

Very impressive. We will put him in the tracking system and you will get a short written inquiry about his progress over the next four or five years. Any chance you would convert him over to Catholicism. There is a bump in the offer for Catholics.

Wait....nine years?

That might be my son.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum