if the nfl is gonna go

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

if the nfl is gonna go

Post by wilky on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 am

it is games like last night that will help expedite the process. multiple people carted off the field, vicious hits, taunting, targeting you name it, it happened. shameful game on both sides. post game interviews with no remorse. from the nfl perspective last night would have been better if it was rained out.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1766
Join date : 2008-09-23
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by OldTitan on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm

I agree. The game was shameful. They're working against preservation of the game long term. We need ejections and suspensions.
avatar
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1876
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by wolverine55 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Yeah, and something needs done to educate the players on how to react to such things, assuming they even care. Ben Roethlisberger's response after the game was," Hey, that's AFC North football!" and then someone--Antonio Brown I've read--was yelling, "Karma!" in the background when JuJu Smith-Schuster was being asked about his hit on Burfict. Just not a good look for anyone involved, really.
avatar
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2008-09-27
Age : 38
Location : Keokuk, Iowa

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by Bighitter11 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:44 pm

It will never happen but the playing rules need to change to make the game safer. It wont though because the NFL is all about Scoring and Entertaining. They need to play by the rules of the 80s etc where the was much more holding, grabbing etc going on between the DBs and the WRs. Now you cant do anything at all or it is a penalty. These WRs are running free at High Speeds and Violent High Speed Collisions are unavoidable. Would probably see more running plays, more clock being chewed up, fewer snaps, fewer chances for these type plays.

The NFL doesnt care about Safety if they did they would change things like that.
avatar
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1069
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by tm on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:48 pm

The game was ugly, but in the end, there were 2 "dirty" plays. Those players will be fined and/or suspended. Shazier's injury had nothing to do with being dirty, it was him having terrible tackling form and hurting himself.

The post game comments did seem strange, especially when their teammate was in the hospital. However, the announcers even opened the broadcast with a story about their pregame conversation with Roethisberger. He said their games against the Ravens are intense and hard hitting, but against the Bengals things get dirty. The 2 teams seem to truly hate each other.

avatar
tm
Bee-otch

Posts : 692
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 43
Location : here

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by ging on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:30 pm

i'm all for clean, hard football.

i do not agree that juju smith schuster's block of burfict was dirty, let alone a penalty. but the taunting deserved a penalty.
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2351
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by 19delta on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:52 pm

ging wrote:i'm all for clean, hard football.

i do not agree that juju smith schuster's block of burfict was dirty, let alone a penalty. †but the taunting deserved a penalty.

According to the "defenseless player" rule, JuJu's block was illegal on several levels.

1. Contact was made to Burfict's head
2. Contact was initiated with JuJu's helmet
3. JuJu launched himself into Burfict
4. Burfict received a "blindside" block from JuJu, who was moving parallel to his own end line.

It was pretty much a textbook example of why the rule was implemented after Hines Ward broke that guy's jaw on a similar play.
avatar
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3177
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by crusader on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:01 pm

When did crackback block become illegal?

I know we designed stuff like that decade ago.
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1788
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by ging on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:13 pm

19delta wrote:
ging wrote:i'm all for clean, hard football.

i do not agree that juju smith schuster's block of burfict was dirty, let alone a penalty. †but the taunting deserved a penalty.

According to the "defenseless player" rule, JuJu's block was illegal on several levels.

1. Contact was made to Burfict's head
2. Contact was initiated with JuJu's helmet
3. JuJu launched himself into Burfict
4. Burfict received a "blindside" block from JuJu, who was moving parallel to his own end line.

It was pretty much a textbook example of why the rule was implemented after Hines Ward broke that guy's jaw on a similar play.

1. Contact was made to Burfict's head I'm not sure if it matters, but I believe that contact was incidental
2. Contact was initiated with JuJu's helmet It was? I saw a lot of shoulder to chest contact
3. JuJu launched himself into Burfict He did? His feet didn't leave the ground
4. Burfict received a "blindside" block from JuJu, who was moving parallel to his own end line. No argument there. I didn't know that was illegal

avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2351
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by newcom on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Blindsides (crackbacks) are illegal in High school now on any play. All you can do is extend hands and shield them when you are in that position.
avatar
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3118
Join date : 2008-09-25
Age : 50
Location : In the land of wordless books.

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by 19delta on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 pm

crusader wrote:When did crackback block become illegal?

I know we designed stuff like that decade ago.

The crackback is not illegal. But blocks like Smith-Schuster threw have been illegal since 2009 (google "Hines Ward rule").
avatar
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3177
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by 19delta on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

ging wrote:
19delta wrote:
ging wrote:i'm all for clean, hard football.

i do not agree that juju smith schuster's block of burfict was dirty, let alone a penalty. †but the taunting deserved a penalty.

According to the "defenseless player" rule, JuJu's block was illegal on several levels.

1. Contact was made to Burfict's head
2. Contact was initiated with JuJu's helmet
3. JuJu launched himself into Burfict
4. Burfict received a "blindside" block from JuJu, who was moving parallel to his own end line.

It was pretty much a textbook example of why the rule was implemented after Hines Ward broke that guy's jaw on a similar play.

1. Contact was made to Burfict's head I'm not sure if it matters, but I believe that contact was incidental
2. Contact was initiated with JuJu's helmet †It was? I saw a lot of shoulder to chest contact
3. JuJu launched himself into Burfict †He did? His feet didn't leave the ground
4. Burfict received a "blindside" block from JuJu, who was moving parallel to his own end line. †No argument there. †I didn't know that was illegal


Watch the video again, ging. JuJu's helmet clearly makes contact with Burfict's helmet. He went in high. It was definitely helmet-to-helmet.
avatar
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3177
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by Reggie on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:It will never happen but the playing rules need to change to make the game safer. †It wont though because the NFL is all about Scoring and Entertaining. †They need to play by the rules of the 80s etc where the was much more holding, grabbing etc going on between the DBs and the WRs. †Now you cant do anything at all or it is a penalty. †These WRs are running free at High Speeds and Violent High Speed Collisions are unavoidable. †Would probably see more running plays, more clock being chewed up, fewer snaps, fewer chances for these type plays.

The NFL doesnt care about Safety if they did they would change things like that.

The NFL has changed plenty of rules to make the game safer. If the players are not willing to look out for their own and follow the rules there is nothing that the NFL big wigs can ultimately do.
avatar
Reggie
Bee-otch

Posts : 737
Join date : 2008-07-09
Location : Butcher Holler, KY

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by wilky on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 am

i didnt think schusters hit was terrible, until he said after the game that he could have gone less hard and wished he did. that tells me he consciously did what he did. the standing over him after.... shoot him, whatever, I don't care. I cant stand to see that.

brown was yelling karma afterwards. and said he would pay schusters fine. going back two years and in subsequent interviews burfict has stated he thought brown was faking his injury in previous games that got burfict a fine, and burfict is known to be a cheap shot artist. maybe was brown was shouting wasn't far from the truth, but you don't shout it. burfict although a hell of a lb, is by all accounts an animal. mean ole junk yard dog.

I am dumb founded there wasn't an ejection last night. I feel the refs didn't own that game last night and let it get away from them.

my opinion on how to fix the nfl you ask?

I cant believe its never mentioned but I think they have to move to weight limits. just like peewee. no lineman over 275, no rbs over 220, no wr over 210 etc. the game didn't seem as violent to me before everyone was david bostoning. too big too strong too fast to not have such violent collisions. it seems the rules implemented have been good rules to increase safety, but why aren't they? I think its cause the specimens have changed. its physics and pretty simple. two single train cars wrecking at 5mph is gonna be less violent then two 10 car trains running into each other at 20mph.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1766
Join date : 2008-09-23
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by wolverine55 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 am

How did you guys see the crack block rule enforced in HS ball this year? While supposedly a point of emphasis, I only saw it called once and that was in the playoff game between West Hancock and Maroa Forsyth. I didn't see a lot of teams crack blocking though; so maybe some teams answer was to simply try more reach blocking and track blocking to get to an outside LB.
avatar
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2008-09-27
Age : 38
Location : Keokuk, Iowa

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by general maximus on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:00 am

wolverine55 wrote:How did you guys see the crack block rule enforced in HS ball this year? †While supposedly a point of emphasis, I only saw it called once and that was in the playoff game between West Hancock and Maroa Forsyth. †I didn't see a lot of teams crack blocking though; so maybe some teams answer was to simply try more reach blocking and track blocking to get to an outside LB.

Horribly inconsistent. Some games nearly every block that was not straight ahead was called a blindside block. It was not just kick coverage either. Down blocks by the TE on a LB running veer were called. The two crews we had this year were ultra consistent for both teams when calling this. I think we had maybe 10 total (between both teams) called that one night. It seemed micro managed, but even for both teams. Same thing with "defenseless" receivers this same game. This crew acted like they were officiating 7-8yr old flag football. Consistent for both teams though.

Other games, 2 in particular were back to the 2000's. Nothing was called. Granted, both games were rival games and more heated than usual. But, the first kid to get smoked has no idea the refs are not going to call that. After halftime, I asked the refs if they thought some of these blocks were not legal. All of the refs had a standard answer of "they are close coach, but we call the ones that are illegal"

Speaking of not calling things though, we need to eliminate all cut blocking.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by Head Skin on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am

wolverine55 wrote:How did you guys see the crack block rule enforced in HS ball this year? †While supposedly a point of emphasis, I only saw it called once and that was in the playoff game between West Hancock and Maroa Forsyth. †I didn't see a lot of teams crack blocking though; so maybe some teams answer was to simply try more reach blocking and track blocking to get to an outside LB.
In 9 games and the 1 playoff game I went to, I didn't see it called once.

We had it called several times last year and the year before though as you may remember from the video I posted on here.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8783
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by general maximus on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 am

^^^^

Come to think of it, I did not see it called in the playoffs that I went to also. Mind you, I was not paying as much attention to that kind of thing.

Maybe the playoff teams just don't crack back. Must be why they made the playoffs. Cool

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by net on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm

i saw naz do it multiple time this year on film, on tv and in person. they had to be the most penalized team i've seen in years.
avatar
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2009-11-08
Age : 53
Location : in the patch

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by Willard on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:38 pm

So this is now illegal in high school? †Still one of my favorites of all-time. Brad Herman, future University of Iowa tight end, didn't treat an East Peoria kid very nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwaI0gbRW40

Willard
Bee-otch

Posts : 68
Join date : 2008-09-28
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by crusader on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:42 pm

I got walloped like that as a sophomore on punt team ... MAN - I had dude lined up and BLAM-O ... I go flying and the crowd OOOOHHED and AHHHHED ...

Took a lot of crap for that during films - it was rewound a few times too.
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1788
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by ging on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

that hit that willard posted was borderline criminal! †much like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2351
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by center on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Had the penalty called once against an opponent this year.

Net, Naz was horrible with penalties.

Honestly other than the concern about the Shazier injury I donít think the players minded the physicality at all. Just another game in the rivalry, the most brutal in football.

But I am sure some are using it as an example of why kids should not play football. Even though NFL is hardly the same game as high school or youth football.

center
Bee-otch

Posts : 333
Join date : 2009-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by crusader on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:07 pm

ging wrote:that hit that willard posted was borderline criminal! †much like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
Jerk.
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1788
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by Teetime on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 am

ging wrote:that hit that willard posted was borderline criminal! †much like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Didnít see that one coming. I forgot how much I love that tune.

_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
avatar
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 5881
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Re: if the nfl is gonna go

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum