State Finals Weather

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

State Finals Weather

Post by grundy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't think you could"ve asked for any nicer weather than what we had this past weekend for late November. In 1977 I went to the 3a title game at ISU between Geneseo and Metamora. Thanksgiving eve we had about 6 inches of snowfall and then the cold moved in. The game time temperature was 8 degrees with 35 below wind chills that Friday night. I remember driving down ice and snow covered I 74 in the old firebird. That car barely had traction on wet grass. That was the beginning of 3 terrible winters in a row 77, 78 ,79. Was curious if any posters played or possibly coached in any of the games that weekend, or what have been some of the worst conditions you have played/coached in.

grundy
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: State Finals Weather

Post by Bighitter11 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:39 pm

1997 2A Quarters we hosted St. Joe Ogden. It was Single Digits out with Windchills below Zero. Entire Field was covered in Snow though through the help of many volunteers they cleared the field off by game time. Our JV staff came from Scouting Aledo/Stillman that day there field was covered and only shoveled off every 5 yard lines.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Global. Warming.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Head Skin wrote:Global.  Warming.

Exactly!

Lets turn this into a three page thread about global warming....shall we?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:1997 2A Quarters we hosted St. Joe Ogden.  It was Single Digits out with Windchills below Zero.  Entire Field was covered in Snow though through the help of many volunteers they cleared the field off by game time.  Our JV staff came from Scouting Aledo/Stillman that day there field was covered and only shoveled off every 5 yard lines.

Same thing at Kaneland that year against Woodstock Marian. Bunch of people came out early and cleared everything off the field. It was freezing, but you could see all green on the field.
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:40 pm

Teetime wrote:

Exactly!

I, contrary to wilky, shall pass.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:30 pm

1993 Finals ICE everywhere. Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:39 pm

newcom wrote:1993 Finals ICE  everywhere. Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

and 22 year old men playing for hardin calhoun!!!
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 am

Head Skin wrote:
Teetime wrote:

Exactly!

I, contrary to wilky, shall pass.

coming from the guy who brought it up as a "joke". from the guy with more posts than anyone. who comments on everything. usually antagonistically.

If I were to share a weather related it would ironically be heat related. I have played in some cold ones but never terrible like the ones mentioned. I did play a sophomore game against Pontiac in 98 that was a scorcher, I was cramping up from both legs at the same time. I have a picture of me being carried off the field and it looks like I'm flexing but I have no weight on either foot. in 99 week 2 (at evergreen park) was probably hotter though. I believe outside temp was 102, they field temp had to be at least several degrees more. that was a scorcher.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:38 pm

I hated the Indian Summer days - cooled off in October and then you get hit with a high 80s day. Tough to adjust to that.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:41 pm

Mainly because I wasn't on teams good enough to play deep, I too have mainly hot games as my worst. Week 2 or 3 of the 1998 high school season was brutal. I was playing at Illinois College then and our first road game was at Westminster in Missouri and it was brutally hot. It was our first game, but again probably Week 2 or even 3 of the high school season.

Week 2 of the 2011 season sticks out. I wasn't coaching then, but went and watched Rochester play at Jacksonville that night. Week 1 of the 2013 season was pretty brutal as well as I recall.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 pm

wolverine55 wrote:Mainly because I wasn't on teams good enough to play deep, I too have mainly hot games as my worst.  Week 2 or 3 of the 1998 high school season was brutal.  I was playing at Illinois College then and our first road game was at Westminster in Missouri and it was brutally hot.  It was our first game, but again probably Week 2 or even 3 of the high school season.

Week 2 of the 2011 season sticks out.  I wasn't coaching then, but went and watched Rochester play at Jacksonville that night.  Week 1 of the 2013 season was pretty brutal as well as I recall.
Week 2 of 11 was really hot.  A lot of the games in our area were pushed back to 730/8pm.  We still rode the bus to Salt Fork to get beat at 7pm.

2013 was the Week 1 Saturday 1pm Lena game that they refused to push back to later.  I think temps at KO were in the 96-98 range with dew points in the 70s.  It was terrible.  As I said in another thread, hottest I've ever been in my life.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Good topic, grundy. My high school team was bad enough that the leaves generally hadn't even turned yet by the time our season ended, but I played my college ball in northeast Indiana. We didn't get much snow, but temps dropped well below freezing for several games.

I remember two week 10 games in particular my junior & senior years that had miserable conditions. The temp was somehow just warm enough that it was only sleeting, but it was coming in nearly sideways due to the 30+ mile an hour winds, so the wind chill was extra nasty. My only game reps came as the long snapper, so most of my day was spent on the sidelines. I still haven't forgiven the assistant coach who made a point to have us do the full range of motion push ups in our pregame "warm up."

I got soaked to the skin and then had to stand around for hours waiting for us to punt. My memory is a little cloudy, but I think our opponents those 2 games (Findlay and Westminster) beat us by approximately a combined 500 points. Crappy conditions compounded by a miserable performance on the field made the day feel twice as long.

Now that I think about it, I may need to call my parents up and thank them for sitting through those games.
Vanilla
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by grundy on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Have enjoyed reading all the responses. Some really crummy weather on both ends of the spectrum. Forgot about the icy 93 finals. I remember how icy the field and the bleachers were. Some people were slipping and falling down in the bleachers. My butt got wet and frozen, that's my "sports injury". Ging, could you elaborate on "the 22 year olds" for Hardin Calhoun. Curious about that one.

grundy
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Vanilla - your post was so descriptive that I had to turn up the furnace and put on a sweatshirt.

Grundy - HC had a few "grown men" on that team who looked like they were in their 20s.
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 am

Head Skin wrote:
Week 2 of 11 was really hot.  A lot of the games in our area were pushed back to 730/8pm.  We still rode the bus to Salt Fork to get beat at 7pm.

2013 was the Week 1 Saturday 1pm Lena game that they refused to push back to later.  I think temps at KO were in the 96-98 range with dew points in the 70s.  It was terrible.  As I said in another thread, hottest I've ever been in my life.

Week 2 of '11 we played at Carterville on the turf...Was supposed to be a 1pm Saturday game, but on Thursday, they took the temp at 1pm and the field temperature was about 130, so it was pushed to 7pm start. Still hot.

Week 2 of '13 we played at Carterville on the turf...it was only in the low 90's air temp, and we went ahead and played it at 1pm anyway. It still had to be well over 100 on the field that day. Those were two of the hottest games I can remember.

I remember playing a college game in 1997 on the same date BigHitter referred to. So much snow.

1991 we played Casey-Westfield in a first round game where it started to snow before warm ups, and continued for about 3" accumulation by the end. We won 34-28 in a mild upset.

2015 Semifinal snow-bowl at Unity was a disaster. Cold and snow. Brutal.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:2015 Semifinal snow-bowl at Unity was a disaster.  Cold and snow.  Brutal.
That morning was really weird.  Ran a 10k in Decatur early in the AM and it was raining at the beginning.  Had switched to snow by the end of the race.  Had no accumulation in CG, but when I went to Arcola to watch them play LeRoy, there was about 2-4 inches on the ground.  Really strange weather that day.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by wilky on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am

this really is a great topic

I am surprised niewi hasnt chimed in with the great fog bowl. Metamora vs morris in 01. game was at morris my friends and I (we were freshman in college) tailgaited all day in a otherwise normal and sunny day. by game time the fog was rolling in. by the end of the game you could barely see the midfield from the sideline. really cool game since morris won.

mildly related but I went to brickyard in 2016 and it was the hottest sustained day I have been apart of. we arrived at 10am and the heat index was at 108 already, was still at 108 at 6pm when we left. from the paddock with constant shade it was hotter than blazes. I was paying the concession people $1 everytime I got up to dip a towel in their ice water for me and wearing it over my head all day long. I was a much bigger proponent of the "pussy-pussy-Nascar is a sport" after that. I could not imagine being on that track in a flame retardant suit doing 180mph for 167laps in that heat.

wilky
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 am

In (I want to say 91 or 92) we played Olympia week 9 on a Wed night (remember when you had to get your week 9 games done before November 1) at Oly. Was in the 50/60s at the start of the game and at some point a front came through. By the time we got home there was ice on everyone's doors and some kids couldn't get in to drive home.

Edit- it was 91 and on a Thursday. Just looked it up.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am

Head Skin wrote:In (I want to say 91 or 92) we played Olympia week 9 on a Wed night (remember when you had to get your week 9 games done before November 1) at Oly.  Was in the 50/60s at the start of the game and at some point a front came through.  By the time we got home there was ice on everyone's doors and some kids couldn't get in to drive home.

Edit- it was 91 and on a Thursday.  Just looked it up.

I remember always playing Unity week 9 on a Thursday. It was kind of neat.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:36 am

I don't know the reason for it, but I believe Routt and Triopia still always play their game on a Thursday.

In Iowa, Thursday games are somewhat common in our bigger classes as schools share fields. Saturday games are never played in Iowa unless weather becomes an issue causing a delay or postponement.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:38 am

the fog at the sterling/kaneland game this year in round two was memorable.  some great pictures from that night: https://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenwarriors/albums/72157662315228218
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:47 am

ging wrote:Vanilla - your post was so descriptive that I had to turn up the furnace and put on a sweatshirt.

Grundy - HC had a few "grown men" on that team who looked like they were in their 20s.

Thanks, ging. In between punt snaps back in the day I was a communications major.
Vanilla
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:59 pm

grundy wrote:Forgot about the icy 93 finals. I remember how icy the field and the bleachers were.

Loyola won the 6A finals that year, beating Downers Grove South 7-0. I remember earlier games that weekend being impacted by an icy field and wondering how that would play out for the 6A game. By the time they played that 6A game, the field was remarkably clear of ice, although I recall seeing a little ice and snow piled up around the perimeter of the field.

4A game:
6A game:
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm

I remember the 5A Championship game in Champaign in 2003. It was a 10AM start SHG vs JCA. There was still ice on the sidelines from the storm the previous evening and it was 20 degrees and the wind was blowing 20-25. I saw a lot of miserable fans sitting in the stands that day.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top