East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

View previous topic View next topic Go down

East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by 19delta on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Anybody watch it?

I was surprised at the condition of the school. The facilities are pretty amazing, at least the gym and the football field. What is the rest of the school like? Do they have a decent weight room?

Are there any white kids at all in the school or on the football team?
avatar
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3177
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by OldTitan on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 pm

19delta wrote:
Are there any white kids at all in the school or on the football team?

I do not know about any white kids, but their state report card states there are less than 10 students in their school who identify as white. I do not think there are any whites on the football team.
avatar
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1876
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by crusader on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:16 am

A few notables:

That the girl on the street who said her sister got jumped and that's what the mess is next door - meaning the chick with the butcher knife being restrained - joked and laughed about the threat of someone getting a 38 to settle the beef.

That one player was failing African American Studies and another Choir.

That Jeff Thomas most likely got his ass ripped by teammates during the closed-door meeting and he was humbled ... and had been crying.

That Jeff Thomas again appeared in tears after the GBN game, maybe knowing he almost lost that opportunity.(The shield gave a little privacy.)

That the mom of the detained kid in the yellow shirt told the police they were doing things right, cleaning up the street, even if that meant her boy getting locked up.

That I had not heard before about Rey Estes being unlicensed when he wrecked his Mama's car that he took without her permission.

That no clean laundry is a reason not to go to school (and that's sad.)

That football might be the only way out of the Boogie for these kids.

That the girls in the gym use guilt as a sharp whip when telling the boys they don't want it enough and got them to organize themselves for a team meeting.

That's someone's girlfriend ... they want out too and they don't want to see the boys miss their chance.
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1788
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by crusader on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 am

19delta wrote:Anybody watch it?

I was surprised at the condition of the school. The facilities are pretty amazing, at least the gym and the football field. What is the rest of the school like? Do they have a decent weight room?

Are there any white kids at all in the school or on the football team?
There was one scene that showed the weight room - looked nice and big!

I do not think there is a single white person in the school. In contrast, my Mom was in the last all-white graduating class of East Saint Louis Senior High School in 1951 - the January class. There was a black man in the May 1951 class.
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1788
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by Head Skin on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 am

Watched this last night on dvr. I was amazed that Thomas could be ineligible/not in school or practice for like 3 weeks and come back on Wednesday and play that week.

ESL was at camp at Rantoul the one year I was there. Anyone who can coach there long term a d keep their sanity should be knighted.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8783
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by ging on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:42 am

crusader wrote:
19delta wrote:Anybody watch it?

I was surprised at the condition of the school. The facilities are pretty amazing, at least the gym and the football field. What is the rest of the school like? Do they have a decent weight room?

Are there any white kids at all in the school or on the football team?
There was one scene that showed the weight room - looked nice and big!

I do not think there is a single white person in the school. In contrast, my Mom was in the last all-white graduating class of East Saint Louis Senior High School in 1951 - the January class. There was a black man in the May 1951 class.

my dad went to kewanee hs and graduated in the late 40s. the kewanee hs basketball team, which had 2 or 3 african-american players at the time, played in a tournament in east st. louis. the team could not stay in a hotel in east st. louis because there were none that allowed the african-american young men to stay there.
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2351
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by Head Skin on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 am

I was looking at some data while watching this last night. ESL had 82k residents in 1960 according to the census. It has 27k now.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8783
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 am

I have a friend who is a detective in the area (Columbia) and he works on a joint task force for the Metro East. Some of the stories he has about investigations in ESL and Cahokia are truly mind-boggling. Borderline unbelievable. It's pretty sad, actually.

avatar
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Posts : 710
Join date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by wolverine55 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 pm

I didn't realize how much the STL area as a whole has lost population until I saw a show on Vice called "Abandoned". Exactly as it sounds, a guy goes around the country exploring and searching through abandoned facilities and there are so many abandoned school buildings in STL that that was the focus of one of their episodes.
avatar
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 2828
Join date : 2008-09-27
Age : 38
Location : Keokuk, Iowa

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by niewi 24 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Head Skin wrote:Watched this last night on dvr.  I was amazed that Thomas could be ineligible/not in school or practice for like 3 weeks and come back on Wednesday and play that week.

ESL was at camp at Rantoul the one year I was there.  Anyone who can coach there long term a d keep their sanity should be knighted.

Really unreal how Sunkett can keep a handle on them. Now, I have heard about his recruiting shenanigans in the past, but that still doesn’t change the fact that he obviously does a good job up against bad situations.

I also found it funny how quick of a turnaround it was to get the best player in the state last year on the field.
avatar
niewi 24
Bee-otch

Posts : 192
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: East St. Louis High School "89 Blocks" film

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum