1a and 2a South representatives?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1a and 2a South representatives?

Post by 19delta on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Headskin or anyone else...

Any summaries on Tuscola and MF? Is Tuscola still spread? Lena had some trouble with the pass against Forreston and Aquin. They gave up a couple long TD passes against both teams. Could be an area that Tuscola can exploit. And a huge win for GCMS yesterday. Could be the biggest upset of the playoffs so far.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Re: 1a and 2a South representatives?

Post by OldTitan on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Mike Allen (GCMS) said his team was 100% healthy and felt good about their chances against Newman Central Catholic. The game could have gone either way, but I'm so pleased for Mike. He is as genuine and nice of a guy as you will meet. I will be cheering for the Falcons, but it should be a heck of a ballgame. I think a mistake some people make is thinking GCMS has one player - he is their stud, no doubt. However, they have some really nice players than can hurt you if you focus on their back. Most of their team is pretty young, GCMS should be a force next season too.

I don't know much about Tuscola this season. I think LeWin had a little tougher path to Dekalb.

EDIT: It is safe to say I don't know much about 2A - I completely mispicked that class in the semis!
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Tuscola is spread, but they really are a power running team. Throw well enough that you can't load the box. Huge OL and big QB who is good runner. Multiple RB carry the load, with Erikson being the bellcow. But Pierce is faster. Hoel (WR) is dynamic for a little guy.

Defensively, DL is their strength, and DBs are solid. LB are good.
Difference, in my mind, is the special teams. Kresin (K) is unreal for small school kid. Range to 50yds on FG, and will put 30-50% of KO in the end zone.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 pm

That was an excellent summary SIFB.

+1

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:Tuscola is spread, but they really are a power running team. Throw well enough that you can't load the box. Huge OL and big QB who is good runner. Multiple RB carry the load, with Erikson being the bellcow. But Pierce is faster. Hoel (WR) is dynamic for a little guy.

Defensively, DL is their strength, and DBs are solid. LB are good.
Difference, in my mind, is the special teams. Kresin (K) is unreal for small school kid. Range to 50yds on FG, and will put 30-50% of KO in the end zone.

Very good breakdown. We played them week 1. They are def a power running team just doing it out of the spread. They do a great job of using motions, shifts and unbalanced formations to get the numbers advantage. QB is very solid runner and my opinion his ability to throw the ball compared to last years QB is why they are having success in getting back to the turf. Erikson is very hard runner very compact and powerful, Pierce is more explosive and they also run their WR Hoel and Cochrane (SP) very good up front and its not just Mr Oklahoma State. They are just a very well coached team.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by newcom on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Had a Great Experience from Coach Allen, his staff and school reps at Gibson City. Hard Fought game and the better team won today. Good Luck to GCMS hope they win it all!!
newcom
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Great summaries, guys. Thanks!

What's the deal with the Woodard kid? How good is he? I saw a highlight film on him and he was just ruining dudes. Like a high-speed road grader. Great motor. Saw a bunch of plays where he blocked 2 or 3 guys.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghengis Khan on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:48 pm

19delta wrote:Great summaries, guys. Thanks!

What's the deal with the Woodard kid? How good is he? I saw a highlight film on him and he was just ruining dudes. Like a high-speed road grader. Great motor. Saw a bunch of plays where he blocked 2 or 3 guys.

I believe he is going to OK State..

Ghengis Khan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:01 am

Is Woodard on GCMS?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 am

Teetime wrote:Is Woodard on GCMS?

Tuscola #75 Left Tackle
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am

Teetime wrote:Is Woodard on GCMS?

Tuscola kid. 6-5, 300 lbs senior OL/DL. Accepted an offer from Oklahoma State. Also can throw the discus 165'+. Here's the video I was talking about:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/hunter-woodard-181623
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 am

I've seen him live 3-4 times in the last 2 years. I think he's only scratching the surface of his ability. He's built like a brick crap-house, and Coach Romine said is the team's hardest worker. That's a great thing, when your best kid works the hardest. I think he could finish kids a little more than he does. More a product of playing 1A-2A competition than a knock on him. Doesn't get the great pancake blocks where he can just latch on and bury a kid. However, he's so much bigger, stronger, and more advanced, he usually can just push a kid down on his way by and move on to the next one. I think it will be great to watch him grow at OSU with college technique. Unlimited potential. And from everything I've seen, a very humble young man.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 am

SIFB has pretty much hit the nail on the head with all his reports. They are a "spread team" in that there are 3-4 WRs in shotgun formation, but they will run the ball, if you allow them to, 66-80% of the time. QB is the guy that worried me (not that we could stop any of them) running the ball. The RB is a nice back, but I think the Q is the better, more dangerous runner. Hoel, #11 the WR, is what gives their offense a special dimension. Sell out to stop the run with a ton in the box and they'll hit him on a quick slant/bubble/etc and he's gone. Not Beck from Shelbyville special, but he's an elusive, quick, fast little ball of eff you to defenses. Constant threat to go for 6.

Oh ya, and they're HYUUUUUUUUGE up front. Woodard is like most small school D1 kids. Intermittently dominant. You can tell he's the real deal, but like SIFB said, it comes in waves. I would imagine it will be on full display Friday as, I mean, let's be honest, he didn't really need to be on against us.

Defensively they are extremely sound, fast and aggressive. Their nose doesn't play offense (I'm fairly certain) and he's a good one. They're linebacking corps is lead by Sementi (former DC Lenny Sementi's son). By Coach Romine's own admission, his move to OLB halfway through the season has totally changed their defense. They are probably the best defense I've seen in a while at that level. If they do have a weakness it's on their back end, but non passing teams will have issue getting enough time to get a pass off, or a rhythm passing to make it hurt.

They're not as flashy as past Tuscola teams, but I think they're better than the Wienke led teams. WAY, WAY more fundamentally sound. Coach Romine has done a really nice job with this group.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 am

Head Skin wrote:SIFB has pretty much hit the nail on the head with all his reports.  They are a "spread team" in that there are 3-4 WRs in shotgun formation, but they will run the ball, if you allow them to, 66-80% of the time.  QB is the guy that worried me (not that we could stop any of them) running the ball.  The RB is a nice back, but I think the Q is the better, more dangerous runner.  Hoel, #11 the WR, is what gives their offense a special dimension.  Sell out to stop the run with a ton in the box and they'll hit him on a quick slant/bubble/etc and he's gone.  Not Beck from Shelbyville special, but he's an elusive, quick, fast little ball of eff you to defenses.  Constant threat to go for 6.

Oh ya, and they're HYUUUUUUUUGE up front.  Woodard is like most small school D1 kids.  Intermittently dominant.  You can tell he's the real deal, but like SIFB said, it comes in waves.  I would imagine it will be on full display Friday as, I mean, let's be honest, he didn't really need to be on against us.

Defensively they are extremely sound, fast and aggressive.  Their nose doesn't play offense (I'm fairly certain) and he's a good one.  They're linebacking corps is lead by Sementi (former DC Lenny Sementi's son).  By Coach Romine's own admission, his move to OLB halfway through the season has totally changed their defense.  They are probably the best defense I've seen in a while at that level.  If they do have a weakness it's on their back end, but non passing teams will have issue getting enough time to get a pass off, or a rhythm passing to make it hurt.

They're not as flashy as past Tuscola teams, but I think they're better than the Wienke led teams.  WAY, WAY more fundamentally sound.  Coach Romine has done a really nice job with this group.

Pretty Sure Sementi is back on Staff as the DC. Also his Son played OLB against us Week 1. Dont know if they moved him around after that or what but is real nice player Tall Long and hard to throw over. They arent flashy but they are really damn good.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 am

why do you care? the 1a state championship was played already. Wink
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Head Skin wrote:SIFB has pretty much hit the nail on the head with all his reports.  They are a "spread team" in that there are 3-4 WRs in shotgun formation, but they will run the ball, if you allow them to, 66-80% of the time.  QB is the guy that worried me (not that we could stop any of them) running the ball.  The RB is a nice back, but I think the Q is the better, more dangerous runner.  Hoel, #11 the WR, is what gives their offense a special dimension.  Sell out to stop the run with a ton in the box and they'll hit him on a quick slant/bubble/etc and he's gone.  Not Beck from Shelbyville special, but he's an elusive, quick, fast little ball of eff you to defenses.  Constant threat to go for 6.

Oh ya, and they're HYUUUUUUUUGE up front.  Woodard is like most small school D1 kids.  Intermittently dominant.  You can tell he's the real deal, but like SIFB said, it comes in waves.  I would imagine it will be on full display Friday as, I mean, let's be honest, he didn't really need to be on against us.

Defensively they are extremely sound, fast and aggressive.  Their nose doesn't play offense (I'm fairly certain) and he's a good one.  They're linebacking corps is lead by Sementi (former DC Lenny Sementi's son).  By Coach Romine's own admission, his move to OLB halfway through the season has totally changed their defense.  They are probably the best defense I've seen in a while at that level.  If they do have a weakness it's on their back end, but non passing teams will have issue getting enough time to get a pass off, or a rhythm passing to make it hurt.

They're not as flashy as past Tuscola teams, but I think they're better than the Wienke led teams.  WAY, WAY more fundamentally sound.  Coach Romine has done a really nice job with this group.

Good info, Head Skin.

I'm not sold on Lena. They are good but I really thought Forreston was the best team in the North. Lena has some really nice players but it pretty much begins and ends with Rahveon Valentine. If Tuscola can be the one team that shuts him down this season, Lena will have trouble scoring points. They do have a sophomore back who is decent compliment and a sophomore TE who is a big, strong, athletic kid (6-4, 240 and can run and jump).

Defensively, they are a tough, tough team to run on but have given up some big pass plays during the playoffs. They have a junior defensive lineman named Ian Kuehl who took 3rd in state last year in wrestling at 285. Big, strong and athletic.

Valentine, incidentally, also took 3rd in state last year at 170 in wrestling. I always like teams that have good wrestlers...
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

net wrote:

I was waiting for that...

Wink
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:22 pm

net wrote:

Funny you mention that as Lena’s team Twitter just retweeted or liked (I can’t remember which) that exact thing.

I’ll just say that after my experiences with both programs, coaches, etc, I would be very Ok with Tuscola winning by a running clock.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Bighitter11 wrote:

Pretty Sure Sementi is back on Staff as the DC.  Also his Son played OLB against us Week 1.  Dont know if they moved him around after that or what but is real nice player Tall Long and hard to throw over.   They arent flashy but they are really damn good.

Sementi is the DC. Had many matches against him when he was at Monticello. Great defensive mind.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Head Skin wrote:
net wrote:

Funny you mention that as Lena’s team Twitter just retweeted or liked (I can’t remember which) that exact thing.

I’ll just say that after my experiences with both programs, coaches, etc, I would be very Ok with Tuscola winning by a running clock.

I'm rooting for Lena. I don't know what issues you had with them (IIRC, you guys beat them the year they won 1a) but Ric Arand has a really good reputation up this way.

They are always well-coached, physical, and good sports.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Its hard to put into a concise answer, but they were really hard to deal with in setting up the game and there were other little issues that would tend to turn one off toward them.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Head Skin wrote:Its hard to put into a concise answer, but they were really hard to deal with in setting up the game and there were other little issues that would tend to turn one off toward them.

Fair enough.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Years later I saw them speaking at a clinic and they were naming all their losses from the past 10 years and for the conference team they knew weather conditions, specific plays, etc. When they came to us, it was “who was that team from down south we played when it was hot at that one place in the middle of nowhere?”

Maybe petty, but kinda went hand in hand with the air of arrogance we got in dealing with them. Their liking of the state championship being played last weekend plays into it as well.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Head Skin wrote:Years later I saw them speaking at a clinic and they were naming all their losses from the past 10 years and for the conference team they knew weather conditions, specific plays, etc.  When they came to us, it was “who was that team from down south we played when it was hot at that one place in the middle of nowhere?”

Maybe petty, but kinda went hand in hand with the air of arrogance we got in dealing with them.  Their liking of the state championship being played last weekend plays into it as well.

Ha!

Although, you guys could have said the same thing about Lena had the game been up here!

Very Happy
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:06 pm

We played halfway at Cuba.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down