Champaign Central BBall Situation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Champaign Central BBall Situation

Post by Head Skin on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:11 am

I have no information on this, just wanted to share- http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-11-14/decision-cut-senior-prompts-review.html

The two quotes that stuck with me-
The majority of Central's team is black, like Dee. Maroons coach Jeff Finke is white.

"This is about the narrative," said Will Kyles, Champaign's longest-serving black council member. "The narrative is this is a white man trying to steal my dreams."

Maybe this explains Coach Albaugh's exit?  Maybe not.  Just throwing stuff against the wall.  Either way, this situation is a no win for anyone.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Re: Champaign Central BBall Situation

Post by Doctor D on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 am

Wow.
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 am

this is a really odd situation looking at it from the outside.  

bailey dee is clearly a very good basketball player. one who certainly should make the team and play.  he's a next-level player who has interest from several colleges.

head coach jeff finke's son tim is a very good basketball player, too.  he had several D1 offers and committed to grand canyon univ yesterday.  it's interesting to note that he started his high school career at centennial high school, but transfered to central. not sure what that means, if anything.

so, it doesn't seem likely that the coach would cut dee so that his son could have the spotlight. or that it would help his recruiting, since he already committed.

clearly, something else is going on here.
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 pm

If you read the comments on that article, they are all over the place. Unfortunately, a young man is caught in the middle. IF there are reasons for his being cut, we might not want to know, and it should be private knowledge. But, with it now being brought to the BOE, Coach Finke may be forced to provide that information. What if it doesn't look kindly upon Young Mr. Dee? That's not good for him to have laundry aired publicly. I don't know if I agree with the "Daddy Ball" reference in the comments that people feel Dee would have outshined Tim Finke. Finke committed last night to Thunder Dan Marjele and Grand Canyon Univ., he had his pick of schools. The info I found on Dee from this summer he had no offers, and had heard from Lipscomb and Maryville. He also plays on Illinois Irish, which several SJO kids have played on. It's not a top tier AAU program, but solid.

If Finke wasn't honest with his evaluation and cut list, then that deserves light also and repercussions. It's just unfortunate all the way around, and it will be interesting to see it develop over the next few weeks.

It is truly no-win. No one will come out of this looking great, IMO.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by general maximus on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Head Skin wrote:I have no information on this, just wanted to share- http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-11-14/decision-cut-senior-prompts-review.html

The two quotes that stuck with me-
The majority of Central's team is black, like Dee. Maroons coach Jeff Finke is white.

"This is about the narrative," said Will Kyles, Champaign's longest-serving black council member. "The narrative is this is a white man trying to steal my dreams."

Maybe this explains Coach Albaugh's exit?  Maybe not.  Just throwing stuff against the wall.  Either way, this situation is a no win for anyone.

In my conversations with Coach Albaugh, this was not a factor that was indicated in the least. As you said, "Maybe not" is correct.

I have no knowledge of the Dee kid other than he was not a fb player. I knew he was a good athlete because other coaches would bring up his name as a good athlete.

As someone who has taken over a program where the culture is "lacking", I have found that certain individuals, once removed allow the culture to progress in a desirable way. I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE HERE, BUT IF IT IS, SO BE IT.
When I look back at some of the seasons that have been less fruitful in either wins, enjoyment, or progress, it usually has been because of a kid or two that just needed to go away from the team to let the team be better. AGAIN, NOT SAYING THIS KID IS THAT CASE.

Is this a race issue, Maybe. But maybe it is a poop head kid issue. Maybe it is poop head coach issue. My question is this.... If you are gonna cut a kid who was a starter a year ago on a team that was really really good, aren't you gonna talk with your AD and make sure you have your bases covered? I do not know Coach Finke, but I am surmising he is not stupid. I do know John Woods, the AD. His acumen of the political landscape is not remiss.

What would possibly be the reason you would cut a returning starter? Occam's razor.....................His principle states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

Finally, I do not know this kid or the situation.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Fair enough. Was just trying to explain a strange situation with evidence from a stranger one.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 am

The article refers to Dee as one of the area's top returning players. If that is true, how common is it for a senior who was a good player as a junior to be cut? How many kids typically try out for the basketball team at a school like Central? How many kids do they keep?

If Dee is indeed one of the top returning players in the area, then it would mean that all the kids the coach kept are better than Dee. That must be one really talented high school basketball team.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am

To me, there would have to something very egregious for me to cut a player if he truly is "one of the areas top returning players" or however it was worded in the article. And, I mean like issues with the law or something at school to where maybe he is close to expulsion.

I heard a very successful football coach speak at a clinic last spring and he showed us two clips. The first kid was described as "one of the best kids our school has ever produced" but he didn't mean in terms of talent. His clip was him catching a five yard hitch and then turning upfield and getting tackled by tripping over his own feet. The next clip included a kid "who is definitely, let's just say, not the best kid our school has ever produced." His clip included him catching a similar route, juking a kid, trucking another kid, and going about 70 yards for a TD. Then, the presenter shrugged his shoulders and said, "Sometimes you have to play the kids you have to play, not necessarily the ones you want to."

Now, I'm not saying you can't discipline kids, but like I said, unless there is something very egregious--and maybe there is here and it hasn't come out--I don't think you can flat-out cut the kid.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

he transferred, but i'm not sure if it's sports-related or not.

https://twitter.com/expose_him22/status/931526384219979777

ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 pm

ging wrote:he transferred, but i'm not sure if it's sports-related or not.

:-) That's a good one. +1

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Teetime wrote:
ging wrote:he transferred, but i'm not sure if it's sports-related or not.

:-) That's a good one. +1

thanks. it was inspired by your many sarcasm-laced posts. and i mean that in a good way. cheers
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top