IHSA playoff hosting "logic"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IHSA playoff hosting "logic"

Post by ramblinman on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:51 am

Loyola having to play on the road for the quarters and semis is a head scratcher. I have no problem with Loyola, a #6 seed, playing at Marist since Marist was a better seed. E'ville, OTOH, is a #26 seed. AND, they just played a quarterfinal game at home against a higher seed.

Because of IHSA playoff hosting logic, such as it is, we've got a #26 seed hosting the quarters and the semis against teams with better seeds, and a #6 seed playing on the road for the quarters and the semis. Rolling Eyes

This will be Loyola's third semifinal game in the past four years. In each of those semifinal games, the opposing team has hosted despite Loyola having a better seed than the host. It's just plain stupid that a team with the better seed plays on the road in the semis (or any playoff game other than the final for that matter).
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Re: IHSA playoff hosting "logic"

Post by net on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:22 am

rochester bracket fell perfect for them, all home games.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 am

it's a nice trip to Edwardsville this time of year.You'll see a lot of dirt on your journey.Seriously though,with no true "seeding" process it's kind of like voting for president....some will be happy,some will be pissed.I've gone to games where Morris has been on both sides of the fence.Just happy they get that far and get a chance to play for a shot to get to the finals.

BTW Morris lost at home in the semi's last year.....usually the best team wins no matter where it's at.
4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 am

What about a team like Providence Catholic that is obviously one of the best teams in 6A each year, but comes to the tournament with four or five losses and a 14th seed (out of 16).

They are the better team in most games, but would never play at home.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm

it's way past time to allow the coaches to seed the teams based on more than just wins and losses.
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ramblinman on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Teetime wrote:What about a team like Providence Catholic that is obviously one of the best teams in 6A each year, but comes to the tournament with four or five losses and a 14th seed (out of 16).

They are the better team in most games, but would never play at home.

So then why bother with seeding at all?  Let's just end the season where we do and conduct coin flips to see who plays whom and where.

It's the luck of the draw nature of the system that gets me.  Like Rochester this year, Loyola was the number one seed in its class last year.  Unlike Rochester, the luck of the draw had Loyola playing at Glenbard West last year in the semis instead of at home in Wilmette.  

Just make it the same for everyone and have all the better seeds host all the time.  Why allow for bracket upsets to determine who hosts?  It adds a randomness to the system that is totally unnecessary.

I can't imagine anyone ever convincing me that it is fair or right that a #14 team seed like Providence should be granted semifinal game hosting privileges over a #2 team like Nazareth that did not host in the quarters.

Last edited by ramblinman on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ramblinman
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:59 pm

ging wrote:it's way past time to allow the coaches to seed the teams based on more than just wins and losses.  
Having been in seeding meetings for wrestling and other sports, this would result in a more messed up situation.

I assure you most of the coaches in the south would know nothing about the teams in the north and it would result in bigger regional issues than already exist.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by mc140 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:01 pm

ging wrote:it's way past time to allow the coaches to seed the teams based on more than just wins and losses.  

That would actually be hysterical. Coaches with defined sectionals in other sports have coaches who routinely butcher seedings.

mc140
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigshot85 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:14 pm

What I would like to see round one to the quarterfinals bigger seed hosts the game. Natural site for the semifinal games and put them on TV! If Iowa is able to broadcast semifinal games on Comcast Chicago I'm sure the IHSA could do the same.
Bigshot85
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 4a(6afornet)north on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Bigshot85 wrote:What I would like to see round one to the quarterfinals bigger seed hosts the game.  Natural site for the semifinal games and put them on TV!  If Iowa is able to broadcast semifinal games on Comcast Chicago I'm sure the IHSA could do the same.

But you did see that the people in Iowa couldn't watch it unless they were DirecTv or Dish subscribers that have NBCSports Chicago ...right...?
4a(6afornet)north
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigshot85 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:28 pm

4a(6afornet)north wrote:
Bigshot85 wrote:What I would like to see round one to the quarterfinals bigger seed hosts the game.  Natural site for the semifinal games and put them on TV!  If Iowa is able to broadcast semifinal games on Comcast Chicago I'm sure the IHSA could do the same.

But you did see that the people in Iowa couldn't watch it unless they were DirecTv or Dish subscribers that have NBCSports Chicago ...right...?
I did not know that. Makes sense Mad Laughing
Bigshot85
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by illinipete on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:43 pm

I think the fewer home game scenario should be dismissed after the 2nd rd. By then, the over seeded public league teams are gone and everyone has their participation ribbons!
Lose the whole north/south bs too. If travel is 4hrs or more, play at 6pm Sat.
illinipete
I Pete my Pants

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 am

So, this year, I ran into this as a soccer coach... still can't understand why the IHSA did it...

So we were placed in the Chicago Brooks Sectional.  There were 19 teams in the sectional, we were broken into the following sub-sectionals:

Sub-Sectional A
Chicago (Agricultural Science)
#Chicago (Brooks)
Chicago (Brother Rice)
Chicago (Morgan Park)
Chicago (Washington)
Evergreen Park
#Lemont (H.S.)
Midlothian (Bremen)
Oak Forest
Tinley Park (H.S.)

Sub-Sectional B
Braidwood (Reed-Custer) [Coop]
Chicago Heights (Marian)
Joliet (Catholic Academy)
Kankakee (Sr.)
#Morris
New Lenox (Providence Catholic)
Olympia Fields (Rich Central)
#Park Forest (Rich East)
Richton Park (Rich South)

So, we seed our sectionals.  We seed against the teams in our subsectional:

Subsectional A:
1- Bremen
2- Chicago Brooks
3- Lemont
4- Oak Forest
(5-8... not important)

Subsectional B:
1- New Lenox (Providence Catholic)
2- Morris
3- Joliet (Catholic Academy)
4- Park Forest (Rich East)
(5-8... not important)

When the brackets come out, the IHSA splits it as normal... but flips the 1/4 bracket for each subsectional.  So now our side of the bracket looks like this:

1-Bremen
2-Morris
3- JCA
4- Oak Forest

Now, the IHSA told our AD that they really just used the seeding for an outline, but didn't take it as gospel.  But, for our side of the bracket, Morris had 8 wins going into the playoffs, JCA had 3 and Oak Forest had 10.  Plus, Oak Forest had defeated Morris in head-to-head competition during the season.  They have a very legitimate argument that they should have been the #2 seed, if they had truly been seeded against us and JCA.  But since they were seeded on the other side of the subsectional, they were the 4 seed.

It boggles my mind.  In the end, #1 seeded Bremen played #1 seed Providence in the sectional final, so it essentially was a wash, but I still don't understand the IHSA's logic.
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm

It's the same for Volleyball too. Almost identical situation happened with my sister's volleyball team
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by wolverine55 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:36 pm

I don't know if this is true and I heard it several years ago...but a coach once told me that the reason for the home field policy is that the IHSA knows that based on their system, the higher seeds aren't necessarily the better team so they feel this format is more fair. Again, just something I was told years ago.
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top