Nature Boy 30 for 30

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by center on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Rick Flair 30 for 30 premiered last night. DVRíd and watched it tonight.

Another good one. What a life this guy led

Anyone else see it?

center
Bee-otch

Posts : 329
Join date : 2009-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by niewi 24 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 pm

I thought it was pretty good. For the two 30 for 30ís I knew a decent amount about, this and the 85 Bears, I was more satisfied with the Bears one. Not sure why, even though they did a good job with this one. Personally felt they could have looked at the debts that Flair owes to many people and the amount of money he continued to spend to keep up with his lavish lifestyle. The article below was from a few years ago and it is fascinating.

http://grantland.com/features/the-wrestler-real-life/
avatar
niewi 24
Bee-otch

Posts : 189
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Reggie on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:03 am

I am guessing David Flair refused to be interviewed for this as he was the only living child of Flair who did not speak. In the brief time I watched WCW years ago they were trying to write David into the show and the angle was that he wanted to challenge his father because he was mad at him. From what I have heard that angle may not have been far from the truth.

Speaking of David Flair, didn't he get busted in Springfield a while back? Not sure about the rumors that he may have been hanging with net at the time.
avatar
Reggie
Bee-otch

Posts : 736
Join date : 2008-07-09
Location : Butcher Holler, KY

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by 19delta on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:47 am

I was a wrestling fan in middle school (mid 1980s). Apparently, I wasn't much of a fan because Flair was barely on my radar. I'm assuming that is because he didn't wrestle in the WWF. In fact, I can't say that I ever remember watching him wrestle.

Regarding the documentary, it was good, as almost all of the "30 for 30" documentaries are. I didn't know about his son. That was certainly tragic.
avatar
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 3155
Join date : 2008-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by crusader on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:05 am

Ric Flair made swings through STL for Wrestling at the Chase and I remember him from the GA and Texas circuits I could watch in the 70s/80s.

My interest in wrestling faded after a few years of WWF ... wrestling for me jumped the shark then.
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1769
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Head Skin on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:33 am

19delta wrote:I was a wrestling fan in middle school (mid 1980s). Apparently, I wasn't much of a fan because Flair was barely on my radar. I'm assuming that is because he didn't wrestle in the WWF. In fact, I can't say that I ever remember watching him wrestle.

Regarding the documentary, it was good, as almost all of the "30 for 30" documentaries are. I didn't know about his son. That was certainly tragic.
I remember the Nature Boy from the old TBS days. †Early Sting, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Lex Luger, etc. †Maybe around 83, 84ish? †Was a pretty poor product by todayís production values, but man I ate it up. †Didnít really like Flair then, didnít understand his deal, but I was 7, 8.

Taping the 30for30 this weekend. †Look forward to watching it.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Bighitter11 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:52 am

Head Skin wrote:
19delta wrote:I was a wrestling fan in middle school (mid 1980s). Apparently, I wasn't much of a fan because Flair was barely on my radar. I'm assuming that is because he didn't wrestle in the WWF. In fact, I can't say that I ever remember watching him wrestle.

Regarding the documentary, it was good, as almost all of the "30 for 30" documentaries are. I didn't know about his son. That was certainly tragic.
I remember the Nature Boy from the old TBS days. †Early Sting, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Lex Luger, etc. †Maybe around 83, 84ish? †Was a pretty poor product by todayís production values, but man I ate it up. †Didnít really like Flair then, didnít understand his deal, but I was 7, 8.

Taping the 30for30 this weekend. †Look forward to watching it.

Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express!!!!!!
avatar
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Head Skin on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:56 am

I never really got the tennis racket thing.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Horsefeather on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am

Hello, my name is Charlie Horsefeather. I am a pro wrestling fan. Have been since I was a kid.

Growing up, my parents took my brother and I camping up into Wisconsin & Minnesota quite a bit. Grew up on a heavy dose of the old AWA, GWF, WCCW, which used to air on some of the regional stations like Channel 66, then eventually WCW and WWF as cable developed in the 1980's.

Sting was my favorite wrestler and of course, his career is forever linked to Ric Flair. I always appreciated the character of Ric Flair. He was larger than life. I truthfully liked Arn Anderson and Barry Windham better in the 4 Horsemen, but always enjoyed his promos more than anyone.

I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't watched the documentary yet, but what I was surprised at was the lack of ego in terms of wins & losses... he was truly about the show & drawing fans. A well done documentary.
avatar
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

Posts : 546
Join date : 2008-07-09
Age : 46
Location : Morris, Illinois

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Horsefeather on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am

double post. sorry.
avatar
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

Posts : 546
Join date : 2008-07-09
Age : 46
Location : Morris, Illinois

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by wilky on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:53 am

as a youth my friends would watch wrestling and my response would always be "wrestling is real". I was that guy.

cause its not, and it was obvious cause we weren't infants, and wrestling sucks. but most of my friends watched it, and would talk about it at school.

when we all found out santa wasn't real, we stopped making Christmas lists and leaving out cookies cause it was dumb, why as whole didn't we do that with wrestling?

long story short, I hate wrestling.

now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

wilky
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1739
Join date : 2008-09-23
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by niewi 24 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:01 pm

wilky wrote:as a youth my friends would watch wrestling and my response would always be "wrestling is real". I was that guy.

cause its not, and it was obvious cause we weren't infants, and wrestling sucks. but most of my friends watched it, and would talk about it at school.

when we all found out santa wasn't real, we stopped making Christmas lists and leaving out cookies cause it was dumb, why as whole didn't we do that with wrestling?

long story short, I hate wrestling.

now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

You are a Dr. Douche, like your profile says. Your TV viewing better be all reality TV then, because regular shows, like sitcoms, are fake as well. So are movies. Randall "Pink" Flyod, he was just a character, like The Big Boss Man or Hacksaw Jim Duggan.
avatar
niewi 24
Bee-otch

Posts : 189
Join date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Bighitter11 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am

You would have to sleep with 1 different woman everyday for 27 years straight to match the number proclaimed by the nature boy himself.


Last edited by Bighitter11 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Teetime on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am

Bighitter11 wrote:You would have to sleep with 1 woman everyday for 27 years straight to match the number proclaimed by the nature boy himself.

Hey, I have slept with one woman every night for 37 straight years.

That doesn't seem fantastical.


_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
avatar
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 5861
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am

Bighitter11 wrote:You would have to sleep with 1 woman everyday for 27 years straight to match the number proclaimed by the nature boy himself.

Not if you sleep with more than 1/night....

avatar
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Posts : 703
Join date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by ging on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:24 am

SIFBCoach7 wrote:
Bighitter11 wrote:You would have to sleep with 1 woman everyday for 27 years straight to match the number proclaimed by the nature boy himself.

Not if you sleep with more than 1/night....


beat me to it
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2337
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by morrisfan on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:45 am

Horsefeather wrote:Hello, my name is Charlie Horsefeather. †I am a pro wrestling fan. †Have been since I was a kid.

Growing up, my parents took my brother and I camping up into Wisconsin & Minnesota quite a bit. †Grew up on a heavy dose of the old AWA, GWF, WCCW, which used to air on some of the regional stations like Channel 66, then eventually WCW and WWF as cable developed in the 1980's.

Sting was my favorite wrestler and of course, his career is forever linked to Ric Flair. †I always appreciated the character of Ric Flair. †He was larger than life. †I truthfully liked Arn Anderson and Barry Windham better in the 4 Horsemen, but always enjoyed his promos more than anyone.

I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't watched the documentary yet, but what I was surprised at was the lack of ego in terms of wins & losses... he was truly about the show & drawing fans. †A well done documentary.

How did I not know you were a big wrestling fan? I feel so cheated.

morrisfan
Bee-otch

Posts : 230
Join date : 2009-10-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by wilky on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:42 pm

niewi 24 wrote:
wilky wrote:as a youth my friends would watch wrestling and my response would always be "wrestling is real". I was that guy.

cause its not, and it was obvious cause we weren't infants, and wrestling sucks. but most of my friends watched it, and would talk about it at school.

when we all found out santa wasn't real, we stopped making Christmas lists and leaving out cookies cause it was dumb, why as whole didn't we do that with wrestling?

long story short, I hate wrestling.

now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

You are a Dr. Douche, like your profile says. †Your TV viewing better be all reality TV then, because regular shows, like sitcoms, are fake as well. †So are movies. †Randall "Pink" Flyod, he was just a character, like The Big Boss Man or Hacksaw Jim Duggan. †

wrestling is real

wilky
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1739
Join date : 2008-09-23
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by center on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:23 pm

ging wrote:
SIFBCoach7 wrote:
Bighitter11 wrote:You would have to sleep with 1 woman everyday for 27 years straight to match the number proclaimed by the nature boy himself.

Not if you sleep with more than 1/night....


beat me to it

This same guy came to mind when I was watching the 30 for 30.

After you hear Flair talk about his lifestyle you can see why many wrestlers do not reach the older ages.

center
Bee-otch

Posts : 329
Join date : 2009-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Teetime on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Horsefeather wrote:I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't watched the documentary yet, but what I was surprised at was the lack of ego in terms of wins & losses... he was truly about the show & drawing fans. †A well done documentary.


It appears that if you say something bad about wrestling here it is not an appreciated opinion. I love HS, college and Olympic wrestling, never got the professional wrestling at all.

I wouldn't find it surprising that pro wrestlers were unconcerned about wins and losses, but the show and the size of the gate. I'm not sure how anyone could watch that for more than 10 minutes without realizing that it was all about the show and the number of fans.

That said, it sounds like an interesting 30/30 that I will watch.


_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
avatar
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 5861
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Head Skin on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Teetime wrote:
Horsefeather wrote:I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't watched the documentary yet, but what I was surprised at was the lack of ego in terms of wins & losses... he was truly about the show & drawing fans. †A well done documentary.


It appears that if you say something bad about wrestling here it is not an appreciated opinion. I love HS, college and Olympic wrestling, never got the professional wrestling at all.

I wouldn't find it surprising that pro wrestlers were unconcerned about wins and losses, but the show and the size of the gate. I'm not sure how anyone could watch that for more than 10 minutes without realizing that it was all about the show and the number of fans.

That said, it sounds like an interesting 30/30 that I will watch.

I think the attitude of ďitís fake, how can you be so ignorant or immature to continue watching itĒ is what most recoil at in these situations. Everyone that watches it anymore is fully aware itís scripted-even my 9 year old. I think to write it off because itís scripted is extremely ignorant of the athleticism, and to a degree, acting ability needed to pull it off.

Itís theater. Maybe not as high brow as Shakespeare, but certainly dealing with many of the same themes. In this day and age thatís how probably 90% of itís fan base views it.

You could, even though Iím not going to now, make the argument that itís less staged than some of the major sports. Cough, NBA, NFL, cough cough...
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Bighitter11 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 pm

center wrote:
ging wrote:
SIFBCoach7 wrote:
Bighitter11 wrote:You would have to sleep with 1 woman everyday for 27 years straight to match the number proclaimed by the nature boy himself.

Not if you sleep with more than 1/night....


beat me to it

This same guy came to mind when I was watching the 30 for 30.

After you hear Flair talk about his lifestyle you can see why many wrestlers do not reach the older ages.


Doing the Wheelbarrel up 21 Flights of stairs is a deal breaker for me
avatar
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Pike Bishop on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Head Skin wrote:
Teetime wrote:
Horsefeather wrote:I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't watched the documentary yet, but what I was surprised at was the lack of ego in terms of wins & losses... he was truly about the show & drawing fans. †A well done documentary.


It appears that if you say something bad about wrestling here it is not an appreciated opinion. I love HS, college and Olympic wrestling, never got the professional wrestling at all.

I wouldn't find it surprising that pro wrestlers were unconcerned about wins and losses, but the show and the size of the gate. I'm not sure how anyone could watch that for more than 10 minutes without realizing that it was all about the show and the number of fans.

That said, it sounds like an interesting 30/30 that I will

I think the attitude of ďitís fake, how can you be so ignorant or immature to continue watching itĒ is what most recoil at in these situations. †Everyone that watches it anymore is fully aware itís scripted-even my 9 year old. †I think to write it off because itís scripted is extremely ignorant of the athleticism, and to a degree, acting ability needed to pull it off.

Itís theater. †Maybe not as high brow as Shakespeare, but certainly dealing with many of the same themes. †In this day and age thatís how probably 90% of itís fan base views it. †

You could, even though Iím not going to now, make the argument that itís less staged than some of the major sports. †Cough, NBA, NFL, cough cough...

Watched every Saturday morning when I was in high school in the early. 70's, Dirty Dusty Roads, Scrape Iron Kadaski. My high school hosted wrestling one night. Vern Gahna and his son were on the card. Vern was in the Marines with my high school football coach. After the match, they came over to my coach's house. My best friend who was wrestling at SIU at the time, made a comment about about the wrestling being fake. Vern got my friend in some killer hold and asked if it was fake. When I started to teach at Lanphier in the early '80's, the principal at Lanphier would host all star wrestling one Saturday a month. Every pick up truck in Sangamon County was in the Lanphier parking lot and the gym was packed. Phil Schmidt, the principal said it was a great money maker.

Pike Bishop
Bee-otch

Posts : 91
Join date : 2016-04-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by wilky on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:22 pm



Ok I️ did think that was funny

wilky
Dr. Douche

Posts : 1739
Join date : 2008-09-23
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: Nature Boy 30 for 30

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum