Top 4 Teams in Each Class

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Top 4 Teams in Each Class

Post by morrisfan on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:37 pm

I know virtually nothing about the teams left in the playoffs, so I figured this would be a good place to ask. Who do you think are the top 4 teams remaining in each class? This is obviously different than who you think will make the semis, and I pay no attention to the AP rankings, so pick a class (or eight) you know about and post it up.

morrisfan
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: Top 4 Teams in Each Class

Post by Head Skin on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:45 pm

1A
Lena Winslow
Forreston
Tuscola
Athens

2A
Newman
Tri Valley
Westville
Maroa Forsyth
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 am

4A
Rochester
Highland
Morris
Al Raby

3A
ICCP
ICCP
ICCP
Williamsville
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Doctor D wrote:4A
Rochester
Highland
Morris
Al Raby

3A
ICCP
ICCP
ICCP
Williamsville

For 3A they are all north. Unbelievable that the top 2 seed in the south lost but that is for another thread.

3A
ICCP
Williamsville
Peotone, Wilmington, Byron, and Monticello are all tied for 3rd and 4th.
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:44 pm

5A
Phillips
Solorio
Sterling
Dunlap
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:04 pm

6A

Prairie Ridge
Nazareth Academy
Providence Catholic
Villa Park (Willowbrook)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Head Skin wrote:1A
Lena Winslow
Forreston
Tuscola
Athens

2A
Newman
Tri Valley
Westville
Maroa Forsyth

The Fulton-Forreston this weekend should be good. Given what Fulton did to Marquette Saturday, I think the Steamers might be in the conversation.

Regarding 2a, do you know anything about GCMS, Head Skin? We played them Saturday and they absolutely destroyed us. Halftime score was 50-6 and they only ran 17 offensive plays. Longest scoring drive was a whopping 4 plays.

They could have scored 100 points against us if they wanted to. Best 2a team I have seen since the EPC team that won 2a in 2014. I would be very surprised if they don't end up in the semis vs. Newman.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 pm

19delta wrote:
Lena Winslow
Forreston
Tuscola
Athens

2A
Newman
Tri Valley
Westville
Maroa Forsyth

The Fulton-Forreston this weekend should be good. Given what Fulton did to Marquette Saturday, I think the Steamers might be in the conversation.

Regarding 2a, do you know anything about GCMS, Head Skin? We played them Saturday and they absolutely destroyed us. Halftime score was 50-6 and they only ran 17 offensive plays. Longest scoring drive was a whopping 4 plays.

They could have scored 100 points against us if they wanted to. Best 2a team I have seen since the EPC team that won 2a in 2014. I would be very surprised if they don't end up in the semis vs. Newman.

Coach Allen does a heck of a job and that back is unbelievable. They have beat five playoff teams and none of them have been within four scores.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by center on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:01 pm

19delta wrote:
Lena Winslow
Forreston
Tuscola
Athens

2A
Newman
Tri Valley
Westville
Maroa Forsyth

Delta I was really surprised by the margin by Gibson City. What do they run?  Last time I heard their coach speak they were wing-t and 3/5. I assume they are fast?

center
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 pm

center wrote:
19delta wrote:
Lena Winslow
Forreston
Tuscola
Athens

2A
Newman
Tri Valley
Westville
Maroa Forsyth

Delta I was really surprised by the margin by Gibson City. What do they run?  Last time I heard their coach speak they were wing-t and 3/5. I assume they are fast?

Wing T. They ran a lot of this:

O-----------O-O-[]-O-O--------------O
-----------O-------------O
----------------OO

They also ran the same formation as above but under center. They also ran under center Wing-T with an I backfield.

Lots of jet motion. Traps and dives to the fullback and sweeps and counters to the McNutt kid. He was good. Rushed for 118 yards and 2 TDs on only 7 carries. Honestly, he was the focus of our defensive effort. General thought was you stop McNutt, you are going to stop the offense. But it was the passing game that killed us. QB had a great game...5/6 for 191 yards and 3 TDs. Our DBs actually had pretty good position and coverage. Problem is that our DBs are about 5-8 and the GCMS WRs are about 6-3 and could all jump. QB throws a great corner and post route. Hit the receivers in stride every time. Like I said...they only ran 17 plays in the entire first half and scored 7 TDs on those 17 plays. About the best analogy I could make is when I play Madden against my kid. As I don't know how to play and am terrible at any video game system developed after 1996, my kid usually scores on every play. That's what it was like. They were able to do whatever they wanted.

Defensively, they were really good. 4-4 with rolled-up DEs when we went dub tights. Very fast and aggressive. Many times, their defensive tackles were getting to our running backs before our QB could even hand the ball off. We probably had more negative yardage plays and no-gains Saturday than we did all year. Well-coached, too. Linebackers filled hard and there defensive line was very active. Got off blocks well and made a lot of tackle.

They were just really good. I don't think they started any sophomores. Lots of talented seniors and juniors. Not really big, but strong, athletic kids. My guess is that they have a hell of good weight program. We just couldn't compete. Only 3 seniors on our team. We had to start 3 sophs on offense and 4 on defense. It was just men against boys. Tough way to end the year. Two years in a row getting running clocked in the first round.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 pm

OldTitan wrote:
19delta wrote:
Lena Winslow
Forreston
Tuscola
Athens

2A
Newman
Tri Valley
Westville
Maroa Forsyth

Coach Allen does a heck of a job and that back is unbelievable. They have beat five playoff teams and none of them have been within four scores.

He's a really special player. Is he getting any big-school interest? Given the proximity to Bloomington and Champaign, are either of those programs interested in him?
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by niewi 24 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 am

OldTitan wrote:Coach Allen does a heck of a job and that back is unbelievable. They have beat five playoff teams and none of them have been within four scores.

Coach Allen...he was my 8th grade baseball coach and PE teacher. He moved on to GC before I got to know him. Was always a good guy. Glad to see he is doing great things.
niewi 24
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:50 am

19delta wrote:
OldTitan wrote:
19delta wrote:
Lena Winslow
Forreston
Tuscola
Athens

2A
Newman
Tri Valley
Westville
Maroa Forsyth

He's a really special player. Is he getting any big-school interest? Given the proximity to Bloomington and Champaign, are either of those programs interested in him?

I've seen GCMS this year, and McNutt is a stud. Really special player. Look up his Twitter as he has videos of him from this summer cleaning sets of 305 and squatting big #'s as well. He is a man among boys. As far as college interest, I think most schools are looking at him as a SS/OLB type player. I think he's very similar to Jack Hockaday in athleticism and maybe a tad stronger as a HS senior. In talking with their principal, he mentioned a lot of the directional schools in IL showing interest, but I don't believe he has an official offer anywhere. Great kid, took the time after the game when my son asked him for a photo.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Doctor D on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:19 am

I've seen none of the 2A teams this year.  Also, Head Skin probably knows quite a bit more about central IL and 2A than I do, but when the bracket came out I was thinking winner of Newman/AC game, M-F and GCMS were the favorites for 2A.  Tri-Valley is in that mix also.  HOIC has proven itself over the past few years - wouldn't be shocked at all to see GCMS vs TV for the title.
Read on another board that Rockridge (only lost by 1 to Newman) had some key injuries, and there are a few more contenders like Shelbyville and Orion that are probably just a notch or two behind.  
2A seems like a really great class on paper.
Doctor D
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 am

5A:
Sterling
Phillips
Dunlap
Lemont/Rich Central/Solorio
tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:25 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:
19delta wrote:
OldTitan wrote:
19delta wrote:
Lena Winslow
Forreston
Tuscola
Athens

2A
Newman
Tri Valley
Westville
Maroa Forsyth

I've seen GCMS this year, and McNutt is a stud.  Really special player.  Look up his Twitter as he has videos of him from this summer cleaning sets of 305 and squatting big #'s as well.  He is a man among boys.  As far as college interest, I think most schools are looking at him as a SS/OLB type player.  I think he's very similar to Jack Hockaday in athleticism and maybe a tad stronger as a HS senior.  In talking with their principal, he mentioned a lot of the directional schools in IL showing interest, but I don't believe he has an official offer anywhere.  Great kid, took the time after the game when my son asked him for a photo.

I've seen his lifting videos. When I hear about a high school kid squatting 500lbs or benching 350lbs or cleaning 315lbs, I roll my eyes because 99% of the time, those kids are lying or the lift was done with horrendous form or with spotters doing most of the work. The videos I have seen of McNutt lifting are legit. He is a genuinely strong kid who has obviously dedicated himself to the iron. Really tough to root against a kid like that.
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm already rooting for him and I never heard of him until this thread.

Is he from Gibson City, Melvin or Sibley?

Or maybe the rural part of Gibson City?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Teetime wrote:I'm already rooting for him and I never heard of him until this thread.

Is he from Gibson City, Melvin or Sibley?

Or maybe the rural part of Gibson City?

From my observation, Melvin and Sibley ARE the rural parts of Gibson City! Laughing
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

I do not know much about GCMS this year. They may be really good, I have no idea. I just have a hard time believing they’re better than that team that lost to Arcola in the 1A quarters in 15. I just think a jump to 2A will be a little too much.

But, I’ve been wrong before. If I am this year, I’d love for GCMS to be the team to prove me wrong. Coach Allen and staff were nothing but class any time I’ve interacted with them.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Head Skin wrote:I do not know much about GCMS this year.  They may be really good, I have no idea.  I just have a hard time believing they’re better than that team that lost to Arcola in the 1A quarters in 15.  I just think a jump to 2A will be a little too much.

But, I’ve been wrong before.  If I am this year, I’d love for GCMS to be the team to prove me wrong.  Coach Allen and staff were nothing but class any time I’ve interacted with them.

They don't have to be better than GCMS '15 or Arcola '15, they just have to be better than 2017 teams. I don't know if they are better or not, because I didn't see GCMS in '15, but I do know they are probably going to have the best player on the field each game (except vs. Newman?) and they have good size and strength in the lines. A pretty good QB, and 6'3" WR that can keep defenses honest. From what I saw, I would consider them a contender. I think their biggest hurdle will be that they haven't been significantly challenged this year. How they respond to an equal team will be their true test.

And you are 1000% correct that Coach Allen is class. He went out of his way to come speak to me after the game I watched and talked to me for 5 minutes. And we don't know each other all that well, but he recognized me and came to talk to me. I would love for him to get a chance at Dekalb.
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bighitter11 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:26 pm

I think the 2015 Version of GCMS was a little faster and better defensively and their RB could flat fly. This years version is still really good with a strong defense and a number of weapons offense. The biggest difference and key to this years team is at QB where they are a much better throwing team than 2 years ago.

They will have to get through Newman to get to the turf and that wont be easy. Though for some reason despite being South on the Map of playoff teams the IHSA put them in the North. Really good program that seems to have it going well right now.
Bighitter11
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by 19delta on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Head Skin wrote:I do not know much about GCMS this year.  They may be really good, I have no idea.  I just have a hard time believing they’re better than that team that lost to Arcola in the 1A quarters in 15.  I just think a jump to 2A will be a little too much.

But, I’ve been wrong before.  If I am this year, I’d love for GCMS to be the team to prove me wrong.  Coach Allen and staff were nothing but class any time I’ve interacted with them.

My knowledge of Central Illinois geography is terrible. The reason I asked if you knew anything about GCMS is because I thought they were in your area. I didn't realize that you guys are an hour and a half south of Gibson City until after I posted and Google mapped it. 😂
19delta
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:58 pm

SIFBCoach7 wrote:

They don't have to be better than GCMS '15 or Arcola '15, they just have to be better than 2017 teams.  I don't know if they are better or not, because I didn't see GCMS in '15, but I do know they are probably going to have the best player on the field each game (except vs. Newman?) and they have good size and strength in the lines.  A pretty good QB, and 6'3" WR that can keep defenses honest.  From what I saw, I would consider them a contender.  I think their biggest hurdle will be that they haven't been significantly challenged this year. How they respond to an equal team will be their true test.

And you are 1000% correct that Coach Allen is class.  He went out of his way to come speak to me after the game I watched and talked to me for 5 minutes.  And we don't know each other all that well, but he recognized me and came to talk to me.  I would love for him to get a chance at Dekalb.  
I was just saying that since they didn’t get there in 15 in 1A, I don’t know that a not as good team can get the job done done in 2A. I could argue we had the 2 best players on the field in 13 against Auburn, but it didn’t matter that day.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:03 pm

19delta wrote:

My knowledge of Central Illinois geography is terrible. The reason I asked if you knew anything about GCMS is because I thought they were in your area. I didn't realize that you guys are an hour and a half south of Gibson City until after I posted and Google mapped it. 😂
Ya, the HOIC is a pretty far away conference for me now. At CGB we scheduled quite a few of the for JV games when LOVC teams wouldn’t have teams- GCMS, Blue Ridge, Heyworth, etc.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Doctor D wrote:I've seen none of the 2A teams this year.  Also, Head Skin probably knows quite a bit more about central IL and 2A than I do, but when the bracket came out I was thinking winner of Newman/AC game, M-F and GCMS were the favorites for 2A.  Tri-Valley is in that mix also.  HOIC has proven itself over the past few years - wouldn't be shocked at all to see GCMS vs TV for the title.
Read on another board that Rockridge (only lost by 1 to Newman) had some key injuries, and there are a few more contenders like Shelbyville and Orion that are probably just a notch or two behind.  
2A seems like a really great class on paper.

hp may know more about 2a teams than you, but you know a helluva lot more about avatar selections than him. +1.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top