Rivalries from the Past

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rivalries from the Past

Post by eakaby on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 am

Edgy's site has a topic on Rivalry Games, which has morphed into Rivalry memories from the past.  Since I'm older, it seems that heated rivalry games, albeit on the field or in the stands, pale today to what had gone on in the 70's and 80's.  When I was in high school at Sterling, I witnessed fights on the field during the Sterling-Rock Falls annual tilt (with nobody being thrown out of the game!), Galesburg spectators arrested during a game at Sterling, and a rumble after a Sterling game at Moline, along with many other minor instances.  Since Edgy's site is usually dominated by Chicagoland stories, any good stories out there of rivalry games gone awry downstate?
eakaby
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: Rivalries from the Past

Post by ging on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 am

Since I'm older, it seems that heated rivalry games, albeit on the field or in the stands, pale today to what had gone on in the 70's and 80's.

pussification of the rabble rousers of america
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by tincup1215 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:29 am

tincup1215
King Fool
King Fool

Back to top Go down

Post by dusty7 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Off the top of my head:
Monticello, Tolono, and Unity - used to just be SJO and Tolono but more currently with Monti involved.

Monticello and Central A&M - while I was in HS this was a great rivalry where both met multiple times for a few seasons

The Cola Wars - Arcola and Tuscola

Villa Grove and Tuscola - was always a physical and exciting game until 2000s
dusty7
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Clinton and Mahomet used to have a heated wrestling rivalry. Like messing with the visitors bus, fighting in the stands, people kicked out nasty.

MS' growth and cultural makeup change, coupled with Clinton's issues have changed that.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsefeather on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the rivalry that existed between JCA & Morris in the late 1990's and 2000's.  It was fun for the fans, there was a high level of respect between the coaching staffs, and the games were always entertaining.  Got to the point that going into the 2005 quarterfinal, we didn't even exchange film with them.  Neither team asked for film of the other.  We both just went about our business and prepped our kids.  

In terms of nastiness, back in the 1980's, Hampshire & Burlington Central had a rivalry that included the torching of each other's press boxes. Shocked
Horsefeather
Bee-otch

http://djsautosandcards.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by illinipete on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Guess who's back.....

EB- THE Valley just had a scuffle with byron that made headlines. SV innocently wrapped the bridge from rt 72 into Byron in red and white. Byron retaliates by killing a cardinal and biting the head off and putting it on snapchat.
It's not throwing the Rocket in the Rock River or spraypainting the building but....
illinipete
I Pete my Pants

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top