Birds 0-4???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Birds 0-4???

Post by guerin2.0 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 am

Someone posed the question over on Edgys.

Metamora is 0-4? What's going on down in Redbird land?
guerin2.0
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Re: Birds 0-4???

Post by ging on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:52 am

well, this guy over at pjstar sure gave this a lot of thought:

"Hello everybody I am a former Metamora Football player that has been close to the program and played through the very successful days of Redbird football. After watching the recent seasons of Metamora Football and perusing the forums for some time now, I decided its finally time to make my first post. I am here to tell you the reason Metamora is bad right now: the coaching staff.

Let me start by saying that when I say the coaching staff, I do not mean Coach Ryan. Metamora has turned into a Penn State/Joe Paterno situation where Delinski gameplans the offense every week and makes the play calls while Grebner does the same for defense. Coach Ryan still makes decisions, watches film, and game plans but doesn't ultimately make the call on Friday nights like he used to. Delinski is the head coach, just not in name.

The problem with Metamora since 2010 has been the emergence of Delinski. A previous poster guessed correctly, in that when Metamora got their butts handed to them by Rochester the coaches got together and decided that it was for the best if Coach Ryan stopped calling plays and Delinski took the reigns on offense instead. Delinski had been Coach Ryan's right hand man for a while, but then he became THE man and simply hasn't been up to the task. Instead of arguing for Coach Ryan to retire, I argue that Coach Ryan should take his team, and program, back. The issue with this is Coach Ryan is incredibly loyal to his former players that have dedicated their lives to Metamora football as players and coaches (Delinksi) and he simply doesn't have the heart to tell them that they need to step down, which is understandable to a degree.

I can promise you that the kids/talent level have very little to do with the current state of Metamora football. You can't recruit high school football (catholic schools lol) and every year, every coach has to deal with the hand they are dealt. That is what makes high school football coaches so special. Its up to the coaches to find ways to maximize their talent. My class as seniors had no players go division I, had maybe one player that was all-state, and wasn't supposed to be very good. At the start of our season we were considered one of the least talented teams Metamora had had in recent memory. We dedicated ourselves to the program because we grew up watching the greats and we made a commitment to ourselves that we would be the best team we could. But most importantly, all of us would have gone through a brick wall for our coaches and did whatever was asked of us.

Last season at Metamora should be everything you need to know about why Metamora is where it is today. After being embarrassed by Washington the year prior, the team pulled out an amazing 14-7 victory and turned a lot of heads in the area. People were starting to think Metamora may be back to their old ways and the players, fans, and town were ecstatic with the victory. How did Delinski react? He decided to use the entire film session the next morning to berate the offensive line about how terrible all of them performed and continued this into the following week of practice. You don't have to believe me, but I have it on good authority that it got so bad that the ENTIRE STARTING OFFENSIVE LINE thought about quitting, the week after beating their biggest rivals and maintaining an undefeated record. These kids had just won arguably the biggest games of their lives, against a team thought of as maybe the best in the area, and Delinski almost got an entire starting offensive line to quit. Why did they go on to lose 3 more games? A lot of the players had mentally quit on the season and every one of them hated playing for their coach.

How many times has a Metamora team under performed in the regular season and then proceeded to go on a playoff run under Coach Ryan? Almost never. Metamora's bad regular season teams usually had early exits in the playoffs as well with last year being the exception. Why is this? When playoff time came around the team decided to play for each other and the birds on their helmets, regardless of how much they hated a certain coach. Oh, and Delinski finally let his senior captain quarterback take over instead of splitting reps with a sophomore that was clearly overwhelmed and should have spent a year on the sophomore team for experience as a full time starter. Then the team got to the quarterfinals and played Morris, Delinski tucked his tail between his legs with his play calling and took the ball out of the senior quarterbacks hands for a majority of the game (the same quarterback that beat the #2 overall seed at home the week prior handily by running a Michael Fay style of offense), and the team still almost pulled out a victory. Peoria Central coaches sighed a collective breath of relief when Morris beat Metamora because they did not want to go to Malone Field to play that Metamora team.

I would argue that the team has slowly gotten worse since the departure of Coach Guenther (2008, 2009, and 2010 players had all been coached by Guenther at the time of his retirement), but that's for a different time and place. The main issue today is you have a program being lead by a coach that simply cant connect with the kids and get them to dedicate themselves to the system the same way Coach Ryan used to. Kids in Metamora grow up dreaming of playing under the lights of Malone and can't wait until its their turn on Fridays. That's why its extra sad to me for the kids in the program today that have worked their tails off to finally get this opportunity only to have it all taken away by a crappy coach and then blamed for all the bad things that have happened so far this season. Let me be clear when I say this season is not the players fault. I firmly believe that until Delinski leaves the program, Metamora will only continue to decline and the program will get to the point where we are putting signs up on the press box to celebrate making the playoffs instead of state championship game appearances. Just ask the parents of recent players how they feel their kids were treated by the coaching staff, Delinski in particular, and you will begin to see how deep the issue really goes.

Sorry for the lengthy post but it was time someone stepped up and said what's needed to be said. I ask Coach Ryan not to retire but rather I ask him to do the opposite. Take the program back and return Metamora to its former glory."
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Interesting post. I've wondered the past few years what has happened to this former excellent program. It's not logical to suggest that Pat Ryan suddenly forgot how to build winning football teams. He has had a hell of a run up there until about 5 years or so when things really dropped off. It's too bad, what a great fan base they have up there. In years past, when they go on the road during the playoffs, most of the town goes with them.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:44 pm

We have a couple of really sharp Metamora guys that post here, or at least they used to post here.....I wonder what they say?

Reggie? GoBirds?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Contrary to what the gossip girls at Edgy's thought, BW was NOT run off that site ...
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Teetime wrote:We have a couple of really sharp Metamora guys that post here, or at least they used to post here.....I wonder what they say?

Reggie? GoBirds?

There was one other guy, a guy who taught at the school, whose board name presently escapes me, who occasionally provided good info on the Redbirds.
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:24 pm

He had a role in football (stats maybe) and taught higher math courses at MTHS. He also might have been the tennis coach. My memory fades.

Just remembered.....Willard.

Of course BW was very much in the know about MTHS and ran a Meta only football board.

Now he has moved to Tennessee and doesn't know anything about anything except which end of a horse to feed and how to point a loaded weapon.

Someone needs to plant their team flag in the Redbird's eye on that field. That seems to fire the kids up.

Last edited by Teetime on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OSUBucks on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Teetime wrote:He had a roll in football (stats maybe) and taught higher math courses at MTHS. He also might have been the tennis coach. My memory fades.

Just remembered.....Willard.

Of course BW was very much in the know about MTHS and ran a Meta only football board.

Now he has moved to Tennessee and doesn't know anything about anything except which end of a horse to feed and how to point a loaded weapon.

Someone needs to plant their team flag in the Redbird's eye on that field. That seems to fire the kids up.

Willard, that's who I was thinking about! Planting that flag always works! Laughing
OSUBucks
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by net on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm

willard is silent for obvious reasons.

pat ryan is one of the best coaches in il. i will always respect pat ryan and his decisions.
net
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by OldTitan on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm

net wrote:
pat ryan is one of the best coaches in il. i will always respect pat ryan and his decisions.

Agree 100%
Really a victim of his own amazing success.
OldTitan
Dr. Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by ging on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:57 am

willard used to do his 5a rankings, which were always much more accurate than the "official" ap rankings
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Teetime on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:07 pm

ging wrote:willard used to do his 5a rankings, which were always much more accurate than the "official" ap rankings

I forgot about that.

I used to give him crap about ranking Meta ahead of SHG. He was a good sport.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willard on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Present. Accounted for.

Let's get a few things straight:

1 - The flag was planted. I don't care if nobody on earth believes me.
2 - Net is a smart dude.
3 - I take offense to being called a good sport!

Here are this year's 5A rankings:

1 Phillips
2-75 Irrelevant

Sorry I haven't been an active poster for several years - you guys have an awesome group here. I read every once in a while. Keep it up.

Willard
Bee-otch

Back to top Go down

Post by BirdWatcher on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:33 pm

crusader wrote:Contrary to what the gossip girls at Edgy's thought, BW was NOT run off that site ...

What?!?

Tee is right, I'm in lovely Tennessee, about 40 miles north of where Metamora DC Tom Guenther retired to. I know which end to feed a horse, and sadly, what comes out the other end.

I'm coming back to IL this weekend for Mrs BW's 40th reunion but won't be attending the Meta/Canton game. Prolly be at Dunlap/Morton.

I have no idea what's goin' on with the program. I know Nick Delinski, only so far as, he was trying to buy my farm 3-4 years ago. Didn't pan out. A friend's son is one of the starting O-Linemen referenced above. I might ask him what his impressions are.

P.S. Mrs BW can't believe I still lurk in here about once a week.....

Douche
Douche

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crusader Yesterday at 8:13 am

They were corrected and your reputation remains unbesmirched.
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top