$14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by nw il fb observer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:42 am

This country is in terrible shape, as we move ahead with maintaining infrastructure. The lack of young people wanting to enter trades and the erosion of a work ethic is killing us.

nw il fb observer
Bee-otch

Posts : 292
Join date : 2008-10-02
Location : oregon

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Head Skin on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:02 am

nw il fb observer wrote:This country is in terrible shape, as we move ahead with maintaining infrastructure. The lack of young people wanting to enter trades and the erosion of a work ethic is killing us.
Not that I rush to the defense of kids all the time, but to their defense, they’re repeatedly told everyday from kindergarten to HS that they “HAVE” to get a college degree.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by ging on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:26 am

Head Skin wrote:
nw il fb observer wrote:This country is in terrible shape, as we move ahead with maintaining infrastructure. The lack of young people wanting to enter trades and the erosion of a work ethic is killing us.
Not that I rush to the defense of kids all the time, but to their defense, they’re repeatedly told everyday from kindergarten to HS that they “HAVE” to get a college degree.

and, too often, are incorrectly told that "they can be whatever they want to be".
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2337
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by wolverine55 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 am

These last two posts, I feel, definitely hit the nail on the head.
avatar
wolverine55
Kick Ass
Kick Ass

Posts : 2820
Join date : 2008-09-27
Age : 38
Location : Keokuk, Iowa

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Head Skin on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:37 am

wolverine55 wrote:These last two posts, I feel, definitely hit the nail on the head.
It’s what I do best. Smile
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Teetime on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:57 am

I'd like some of you guys with small children to go home tonight and start drilling into their little heads that "they CAN'T be whatever they want to be". Someone else will decide that for them.

Let them know that plumbing and carpentry are noble professions and that teaching is not all it's cracked up to be.

Then you will be hitting the nail on the head. Not when you post about it here.

_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
avatar
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 5861
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by ging on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am

my point is, people need to be realistic about what their kids can do or be when they grow up.  far too often, i find this not to be the case. kids often say they want to be lawyers or doctors (or pro athletes  Rolling Eyes ) because they know those are typically high-paying careers.  they (and their parents) often fail to consider all that goes into actually becoming one of those. i would never discourage a kid from pursuing any of those careers, but i would also suggest a back-up plan.

if my kids had the exposure or skill set to work in a professional trade such as plumbing or carpentry, i absolutely would encourage them to pursue a career in those fields.  but they don't have either, nor do they have the desire to pursue that line of work.  so, we will encourage them to pursue something more realistic and geared towards their skills, abilities and interests.

(btw, i am not a teacher nor do i work in the education field.)
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2337
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by crusader on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 am

I've done that, Tee.

Twin A says she wants to pursue medical school and I have urged against it, stating it is the most difficult profession there is and one of the most costly to become. It is also physically grueling, which I am not sure she can manage given her own medical conditions.

I've urged her to study neurology (her wish) but to not plan to be a doctor - that even getting into Medical School is a ridiculous hurdle.

Instead, study neurology and find a research job - something, not a doctor.

Obviously, this has pissed her off. Maybe enough just to prove the old man wrong.

Then dumb-ass Twin B - after getting into the U of I chemical engineering program - decides she wants to teach physics and chemistry. GRRR! OK ... so do that, but not in IL.

She JUST told me she dropped her Physics 3 class at U of I ... instead will get a chemistry and math degree. I can accept that ... I can barely understand the "concept" of what that class was studying (matter grows/time slows nearer to light speed).

She spoke with counselors and she will not need the physics to math/chem degrees. I asked about impact on graduation, she laughed at me as that was her concern too. The adviser reminded her she already has 53 credit hours, so she should still get her degrees in less than four years.

Why teaching??? No idea - I think she had a crush on her physics teacher from high school. Ironically, he is a high school football head coach - at Huntley.
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1769
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Teetime on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:21 pm

ging wrote: i would never discourage a kid from pursuing any of those careers, but i would also suggest a back-up plan.


Would you encourage them to pursue any of those rare careers? Or, just never discourage them?

I think I hear highly successful and wealthy people say all the time...."I thank my mom (or my folks), who encouraged me to be whatever I wanted to be".

Don't you hear that a lot? Don't you find that to be uplifting?


_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
avatar
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 5861
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by ging on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Teetime wrote:
ging wrote: i would never discourage a kid from pursuing any of those careers, but i would also suggest a back-up plan.


Would you encourage them to pursue any of those rare careers? Or, just never discourage them?

I think I hear highly successful and wealthy people say all the time...."I thank my mom (or my folks), who encouraged me to be whatever I wanted to be".

Don't you hear that a lot? Don't you find that to be uplifting?


only in those instances where it was feasible.
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2337
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Head Skin on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am

I try to let my kids know what goes into whatever cockamamee idea they spit out. Lot of kids think you can just say you want to be something and then, poof, you're that. I try to let them know how much schooling, prep, etc it actually takes.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 am

My daughter wants to go into architecture or be a life flight nurse. Those are both reasonable as she is very crafty and loves design. She likes to design houses on an app, and build towns in Minecraft. She is also very loving and nurturing, so healthcare seems a natural fit as well. We plan to try and get her to meet a current flight nurse so they can talk to her about the education, time, and stress involved in that job.

My son wants to play football at Auburn, baseball for Baylor (IDK?), go to the NFL and then be an Entomologist when those careers end. After that, he's going to drive pussy-Nascar until he can retire. I've never told him he can't do any of those things, nor will I.

But, I am a very realistic person and have tried to engrain in my kids the amount of work, effort, and physical skill it requires to attain those positions, or any sustained success in life, no matter what they choose.
avatar
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Posts : 703
Join date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by general maximus on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:04 pm

We are in the middle of this with both of our older kids. H.S. Senior boy was not sure what he wanted to do (and still is unsure totally) but that was based on uncertainty as to what would be available to him academically. He does not want to come out of school with huge debt. He took his SAT last year and after, he remarked that he did not do so well. He was pretty much resigned to the fact that DACC would be in the only place he could get enough money to go to. He is a straight A student, but it is not like Gtown is the highest academic achieving high school. He is going to wind up being one of the 2 or 3 valedictorians. But once again, its not that hard for him.

After he got his SAT results back, many doors have opened up for him. Now he is talking about being able to go to many SEC schools for little to no money. He even has North Western, U of Illinois, and Sally N D on his radar. He is interested into going into a medical field of some kind. Apparently getting a 1490 will open some doors for you. As one college rep stated. "A score like that at a school like yours is not common." 1490 SAT is like getting a 34 ACT for those unfamiliar with the conversion. Academically, rarely do kids get that kind of score here.

Daughter who is a Soph is convinced that she wants to go into teaching. We (ME) have tried to convince her that she should pick something different. Too much hassle and not enough money to pay back school loans. She has time to figure it out. She also gets great grades and might have open doors.

It is shocking to me that so many people are flippant about a $15 an hour job plus benefits. Those are starting salaries. I know for certainty that many employers here are struggling to fill similar factory jobs. They get a third of the applicants to stay on the job after 30 days because of drug screening and actual work kicking them out.

If you have a clue, you can be there a few years, you can make double that as an operator, supervisor, or foreman. Common opinion of guys that work there.

Cru, I don't think your "problem" is isolated in the least.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1182
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by crusader on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:28 pm

general maximus wrote:Now he is talking about being able to go to many SEC schools for little to no money.  He even has North Western, U of Illinois, and Sally N D on his radar.  He is interested into going into a medical field of some kind.  Apparently getting a 1490 will open some doors for you.  As one college rep stated.  "A score like that at a school like yours is not common."  1490 SAT is like getting a 34 ACT for those unfamiliar with the conversion.  Academically, rarely do kids get that kind of score here.

Some of those southern schools give a lot of money to northern kids so they can say they are diversified - a school drawing nation-wide candidates. This is particularly true for women. It seems they want a cross-breeding pool for their boys, maybe the girl's dad has a job he can give the boy up north after graduation.

The big football schools follow this model - Alabama and LSU in particular. Kinda works nice for the young lady interested in earning her MRS degree.
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1769
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by crusader on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:28 pm

FALSE ADVERTISING! Hired a woman who looked hot (NOT that it matters) and she shows up today without the makeup and weave that she wore last time. Chick is sporting a damn-near bald head.

Not that it really matters - I've been told in no uncertain terms not to bang the help - but damn, what a difference.

Moral of the story: Trannies lurk among us so be careful!
avatar
crusader
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1769
Join date : 2008-09-18
Location : Waukesha, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Teetime on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:56 pm

LQTM

_________________
Donald J. Trump, he is my President now........sad!
avatar
Teetime
Admin

Posts : 5861
Join date : 2008-09-11
Location : Right across the street from net

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by BirdWatcher on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:36 pm

general maximus wrote:Daughter who is a Soph is convinced that she wants to go into teaching. We (ME) have tried to convince her that she should pick something different.  Too much hassle and not enough money to pay back school loans.

Is it not possible to do four years of higher education without crippling loans? 2 years juco (I know, not very "sexy") then work ALOT of side jobs while at the U?

_________________
The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is what they do with your money after they steal it.
avatar
BirdWatcher
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2008-07-08
Age : 58
Location : Jamestown, TN

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by general maximus on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:10 am

BirdWatcher wrote:
general maximus wrote:Daughter who is a Soph is convinced that she wants to go into teaching. We (ME) have tried to convince her that she should pick something different.  Too much hassle and not enough money to pay back school loans.

Is it not possible to do four years of higher education without crippling loans?  2 years juco (I know, not very "sexy") then work ALOT of side jobs while at the U?

I am all for that path. We as a family prob make a little too much now with the wife working 2 jobs for us to qualify for some grant money. I think the rub will be her desire to go to a "big" school. She has aspirations of cheer-leading in college. She is not that good to secure a scholarship(if they even do that) She clearly will be aware of all costs prior to her decisions.

Your suggestion of working will not scare her. She de-tasseled all summer, she is not afraid of hard work. So she may make it work.

general maximus
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1182
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by ging on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am

crusader wrote:FALSE ADVERTISING! Hired a woman who looked hot (NOT that it matters) and she shows up today without the makeup and weave that she wore last time. Chick is sporting a damn-near bald head.

reminds me of a scene in the 80's movie "i'm gonna git you sucka", which i'm sure is a favorite among many turksters. Laughing
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2337
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Head Skin on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 am

IIRC the above film is actually from the 90s.

Edit- it was released in 1988.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by SIFBCoach7 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:10 pm

ging wrote:
crusader wrote:FALSE ADVERTISING! Hired a woman who looked hot (NOT that it matters) and she shows up today without the makeup and weave that she wore last time. Chick is sporting a damn-near bald head.

reminds me of a scene in the 80's movie "i'm gonna git you sucka", which i'm sure is a favorite among many turksters. Laughing

The (literal) fish bowl clogs were the thing that I most remember about that movie. Classic.
avatar
SIFBCoach7
Bee-otch

Posts : 703
Join date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by BirdWatcher on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:43 pm

general maximus wrote:She de-tasseled all summer, she is not afraid of hard work.  So she may make it work.  

I know the tuition picture is much different now, but Mrs BW came out of college with zero student loans. Her folks told her they would pay for half her college, but that half had to be at Illinois Central College while she lived at home. So she basically had four years (sophHigh to SophCollege) to just sock away money. Then she worked in the cafeteria when she finally made it to EIU.

I pretty much co-opted thru college. Didn't graduate until I was 31, but hey, I'm a late bloomer.. Wink

_________________
The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is what they do with your money after they steal it.
avatar
BirdWatcher
Douche
Douche

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2008-07-08
Age : 58
Location : Jamestown, TN

http://tn.oakcrestfarms.com

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by ging on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:58 pm

BirdWatcher wrote:

I know the tuition picture is much different now

so much so that it's pointless to compare then vs now
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2337
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Head Skin on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 pm

ging wrote:
BirdWatcher wrote:

I know the tuition picture is much different now

so much so that it's pointless to compare then vs now
Heck, when I went to school 20 years ago and now aren’t even comparable. I went to Monmouth for like 7k a year and lived and ate there.
avatar
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Posts : 8744
Join date : 2008-09-23
Age : 100
Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by ging on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Head Skin wrote:
ging wrote:
BirdWatcher wrote:

I know the tuition picture is much different now

so much so that it's pointless to compare then vs now
Heck, when I went to school 20 years ago and now aren’t even comparable.  I went to Monmouth for like 7k a year and lived and ate there.

yep.

my son is a senior and is bombarded daily with mailers from colleges. he is a good student and automatically qualifies for "thousands" in academic scholarships from most of the private schools that send him stuff. $25,000 per year for the presidential scholarship from school x!!!! great! that only leaves $25,000 per year remaining...per year. Rolling Eyes
avatar
ging
Douche
Douche

Posts : 2337
Join date : 2008-09-24
Age : 49
Location : Sterling, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: $14.90 an Hour Plus Full Benefits

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum