parents/fans that don't know any better

View previous topic View next topic Go down

parents/fans that don't know any better

Post by ging on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:14 pm

from a different thread...

Head Skin wrote:
This response triggered a funny story from my CGB days. 2011, 12, 13 we won 24 straight regular season games.  Lost 1st round in 11, 2nd in 12 and quarters in 13.  Went 27-5 over 3 years.  Great kids, great run.  Start 2014 we lose week 1 on the road in OT by 1 when we miss the extra point and they make it.  Go on the road Week 2 again and lose by 2 in Pawnee on Sat night after our Friday game was postponed.  Both teams go to the playoffs.  Pawnee ended up 8-1, Tri County I think 7-2.  Anyway, immediately after the Pawnee game- like as we're walking off the field- a group of parents and fans approach our Principal and begin asking him if he thought I had any idea of what I was doing.  They didn't think I did and thought I should be canned.  

27-5, 3 straight playoffs, beat a state champion, quarterfinal appearance.  I didn't know what I was doing.  Luckily, that guy laughed at them.  But, he left at the end of that year...

I think there are many fans and parents who only follow the varsity football team while their kid (or nephew or whatever) is on it. so, they only know what's gone on in a relatively short window of time.  they don't know that you went 7-2 last year or 8-1 or won 24 straight games 3 years ago.  they just know THIS year's team is 0-2.

PLUS, this same subset of "fans" think high school coaches should be held to the same standard as college and pro coaches are (ie: win or get fired). and these are usually the same fans who don't know the rules and penalties in high school football are sometimes different than the higher levels.

in other words, they are ignorant but they don't know what they don't know. of course, that doesn't usually stop them from raising a stink as they see fit.
ging
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Re: parents/fans that don't know any better

Post by crusader on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:01 pm

What if your program embarrasses the school with undisciplined play that borders on unsportsmanlike at times?

Are folks able to express a wish for change?

(THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HS's quoted statement.)
crusader
Douche
Douche

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:18 pm

ging wrote:from a different thread...

Head Skin wrote:
This response triggered a funny story from my CGB days. 2011, 12, 13 we won 24 straight regular season games.  Lost 1st round in 11, 2nd in 12 and quarters in 13.  Went 27-5 over 3 years.  Great kids, great run.  Start 2014 we lose week 1 on the road in OT by 1 when we miss the extra point and they make it.  Go on the road Week 2 again and lose by 2 in Pawnee on Sat night after our Friday game was postponed.  Both teams go to the playoffs.  Pawnee ended up 8-1, Tri County I think 7-2.  Anyway, immediately after the Pawnee game- like as we're walking off the field- a group of parents and fans approach our Principal and begin asking him if he thought I had any idea of what I was doing.  They didn't think I did and thought I should be canned.  

27-5, 3 straight playoffs, beat a state champion, quarterfinal appearance.  I didn't know what I was doing.  Luckily, that guy laughed at them.  But, he left at the end of that year...

I think there are many fans and parents who only follow the varsity football team while their kid (or nephew or whatever) is on it. so, they only know what's gone on in a relatively short window of time.  they don't know that you went 7-2 last year or 8-1 or won 24 straight games 3 years ago.  they just know THIS year's team is 0-2.  

PLUS, this same subset of "fans" think high school coaches should be held to the same standard as college and pro coaches are (ie: win or get fired).  and these are usually the same fans who don't know the rules and penalties in high school football are sometimes different than the higher levels.  

in other words, they are ignorant but they don't know what they don't know.  of course, that doesn't usually stop them from raising a stink as they see fit.
I don't disagree, but the people complaining in the above scenario had kids who were jrs and started on the quarterfinal team.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Head Skin on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm

crusader wrote:What if your program embarrasses the school with undisciplined play that borders on unsportsmanlike at times?

Are folks able to express a wish for change?

(THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HS's quoted statement.)
No, that is a legitimate gripe IMO. Classless play never has a place IMO.
Head Skin
Legends of Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top